Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Why so many road bikers on here?
  • benjii19
    Free Member

It’s almost as if nobody actually likes riding an MTB.

MrAgreeable

Yeah, it’s pretty sad.

I thought this was a cyclocross forum. 😉

yunki
    Free Member

there have been unusually high levels of Oestrogen in the water system in some areas over the last year or two..

some fish have completely changed sex, but it seems to also be effecting cyclists

Dibbs
    Free Member

We’re all getting too old to ride offroad 😆

weeksy

winter of discontent.

I rode my MTB twice in the past week…. first time in AGEs… i’m a MTBer… i’m just sick of the mud/cleaning.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Its all cycling innit. Road or mountain it still makes me fell like I am 10 again.

Kryton57

winter of discontent.

I rode my MTB twice in the past week…. first time in AGEs… i’m a MTBer… i’m just sick of the mud/cleaning.

This, although if its icy on the road on Sunday I shall attempt to re-aquaint myself with what are hopefully frozen trails

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m a roadie at heart but have ridden pretty much nothing but mountain bikes in the last 3 months. Its too wet and shit to be out on the roads.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m a mountain biker. Honest.

I just haven’t ridden it since 2010, that’s all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would rather ride road when its wet and shit than force my bike through miles and miles of mud and gloop

scaredypants

I’m just a cyclist, maaaaan; don’t fence me in with your labels

*I mean, clearly don’t ride much but I’m very much a free-thinker when it comes to imagining how I might

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3 MTB rides this week, would have been 4 but I forgot my boots 🙁

Haven’t ridden my road bike since the summer.

Road bike gets the most use in Spring when I want to get fit quickly, but the trails are too muddy to make 30+ mile rides appealing.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Parenthood.

Less free time = make the most of your available riding hours = road bike with less driving, faffing about and cleaning.

mafiafish
    Free Member

unusually high levels of Oestrogen

I used to be of this train of thought too but after doing the cyclocross bikes I reckon that’s the manliest racing in terms of pain per second. I tend to think DHing is probably the least manly with all the infantile ‘colourways’ and self-appointed intrinsic coolness etc.
    I just like road biking as I’m a strava addict,you get to gurn a lot when going balls-oooot and also because it’s just so fast.

Still, I have a lot more fun on my bouncy bike.

hatter

It’s a pretty natural move, we like to ride bikes and not all of us are lucky enough to live somewhere close to nicely draining all weather trails.

Given the choice I think most people on here would rather ride thier MTB but at this time year I can’t bring myself to spend my precious leisure time slogging through knee-deep clay clag at walking pace, annihilating my drivetrain in the process.

There’s also a pretty strong commuting contingent of course.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Its all cycling innit. Road or mountain it still makes me fell like I am 10 again.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Roadie here too.

Still ride a mountain bike occasionally but only to race on and train on when needed. Same applies to my cycocross bike.

edsbike
    Free Member

Some of us just like riding bikes, any bikes, and don’t feel the need to take the piss out of other forms. Regarding the oestrogen comment, can I take you out and beast you on my singlespeed til you cry? 🙂

oldnpastit

At least round here the trails bridleways are too muddy and claggy for words. I just can’t face the thought of getting back and cleaning all the mud and gloop off me and my bike.

benjii19
    Free Member

I must be tapped, I actually like getting all mudded up!

Pierre

I live in London. I love riding mountain bikes, but I don’t get much chance. So I ride road bikes when I can.

djglover
    Free Member

I find that a road ride, with a fast bunch, over (for example) the dales, to inclde some fast twisty desents c50mph, some of the best riding there is.

Better than most XC rides I’ve done, and up there with full on DH for me 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

MTB’r at heart, but after a lousy Summer, invested in a roadbike and have enjoyed it. Commute proper now on the roadbike and do long rides at weekends occasionally, its all cycling in my mind. Found some reet good pubs out in the sticks as well 😀

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I like riding on the road because I can cover long distances fairly easily and feel like I have achieved something, 80kms in 3 hours of a morning is a nice feeling when the same distance off road is an epic and requires swmbo approval.

Also, aside from Ashton Court and Leigh Woods, I have to ride 10 miles out and back on roads from home to get to some good bridleways and rupps so its a bit of a pain….. and cleaning, even with a hardtail its just an utter ball ache at this time of year….

I still love it though, when you are riding hard on a road bike, you are invariably just trying to maintain a high speed or climbing a steep hill which are staisfying in their own way but do get a bit boring. Riding hard on an mtb has far more variables to manage combining rapid direction change, technical obstacles (jumps, berms etc), loose surfaces and varying grip as well as the danger element of trees and things in the close vicinity so there is lots more “to do” for the rider so to speak which is why, given the chance, I’d ride mtb more than I currently do.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Riding a bike are you MAD

MTB = spending most of your time at the moment cleaning
    Road = playing in traffic

Running is where its at

Trainers on and out the door… minimal faff, maximum endorphin hit

haggis1978

I’m a hairy arsed MTBer and I hate road bikes! Who wants to be stuck behind some doosh with his skin tight Lycra backside on show?! SKINNY TYRES ARE RUBBISH! 😈

MrAgreeable

I must be tapped, I actually like getting all mudded up!

Yeah, it’s great when your mum still does your washing isn’t it.

benjii19
    Free Member

I leave that to my soon to be wife.

andrewh
    Free Member

I would rather ride road when its wet and shit than force my bike through miles and miles of mud and gloop

This.
    Not ridden MTB since end of September, just trying to stay fit over the winter.
    And I live in Lincolnshire so it’s a bit of effort to find somewhere good to ride off road. Wales trip i Feb then a fortnight in Scotland in March, both will be MTB hols.

fasthaggis

I leave that to my soon to be wife

Ha ha ha .

One of your next thread headers..

‘My new wife has had enough’

globalti
    Free Member

My poor old titanium hardtail is gathering dust in the garage; it’s brilliant for carrying up then riding down mountains but that requires an entire day and a long drive. For quick thrills and getting me extremely fit, the roadie can’t be beaten, I can be out early and ride 30 miles to a coffee shop then back by the time the rest of the family are up and ready to start doing family things.

igrf
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    there have been unusually high levels of Oestrogen in the water system in some areas over the last year or two..

some fish have completely changed sex, but it seems to also be effecting cyclists

This, and it’s everywhere not just in the water system, hence little anomalies like the high content of scooter boys in skate parks, they’ll be in the trail parks next, mark my words.

But it still doesn’t explain why they’re tolerated on an alleged Mountain Bike Forum. 😉

mooman
    Free Member

The road bike gets the most use nowadays.
    Mtb feels almost a chore because of the mud.

Most of my mtb friends, however reluctant to give it a go in the beginning, now prefer it.
    Finding new fast descents, steep spiteful or long climbs and great cafes for cake & coffee all do it for me.

Alex

MTB’r here. Lovely Carbon road bike ridden exactly once since Dartmoor 100 in 2011. Commuting by road bike was ace when I did it. Riding the CX bike is good fun in a ‘ride from the door, get some MTB-lite in’ but I just cannot get road riding. Tried it, sort of see it, but it just doesn’t do it for me.

All bikes. All good. But MTB’s better 🙂

trb
    Free Member

Parenthood.

Less free time = make the most of your available riding hours = road bike with less driving, faffing about and cleaning

^^This.
    I can be out on the road bike first thing, 30 miles get back, chuck it in the shed and have breakfast with the kids.

As long as I’m riding I’m happy, and currently the mtb costs too much in time and money.

growinglad
    Free Member

If it’s got round wheels I’m game!

psling
    Free Member

Singletracker here. Single track tarmac, single track trails through the woods, single track sheep trails on the hills. It’s all good 8)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

what all the serious responses said; it’s all riding, ease of getting out, bored of schlepping through mud, discovering it can be a buzz instead of a slog etc.

Bought my first road bike in >18 years last year and have ridden it more than my MTBs and motorbike combined since. A bit of variety is all good, check out the “lost my mojo” threads recently.

_tom_
    Free Member

Personally I’m just sick of having to drive if i want to ride my mtb anywhere half decent. and it never seems worth the drive/cost of petrol any more. Would rather spend my time on the road bike straight out the door, better exercise as well and it only takes up an hour or two rather than my whole day. Either that or a 10-20 minute drive to the skatepark or dirt jumps with my bmx. Not sure how much the mtb will get used this year tbh, kind of a bit bored of it all.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I’m a cyclist. I ride bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Why so many road bikers on here?’ is closed to new replies.