Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Why so many pedal strikes on new bike.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Been riding it two weeks now and I’ve noticed quite a few pedal strikes. Today was the big one though firing me off down a rocky chute on to my face! Sat here really pissed off at the moment. Would those volume reducer bands in the shock help firm it up a bit?

It doesn’t take much of a static drop in BB height from your old bike to start smashing your pedals on the new one. I’ve just got a Capra and it’s a nightmare coming from my Enduro – trade off for balls out stability though. You’ll adapt.

Of course you could be sagging too far into your travel also and volume reducers might help^^

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cheers artist. I hope so because I only said last Saturday to a mate that it would have me off at some point. I didn’t expect it to be quite so soon or painful!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Found the same going from a Turner 6 pack to a Turner rfx. Could be bottom bracket height, crank length or shock sag.

kcal

I’ve noticed this with new bike, too, BB height – or pedal height – is some way lower – strikes off stuff that I didn’t used to.

Rotating the EBB hasn’t really helped, may need shorter cranks !

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m finding this on my new GT. I was running too much sag, which i sorted, but it’s still happening more often than I’m used to on my other bikes. Time to adapt I guess but I’m still loving the ride. I’m wondering how much 165mm cranks will help and if they will feel odd.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve basically gone from the nukeproof tr275 to the new mega. I can’t work out from the size charts re the bb height. One is -10 the other -13.
    I’m running the same crank lengths as my old stuff got put on the new frame so that might be worth a check.
    Just checked both 170mm

bigblackshed

If it’s only 3mm difference then it will be too much sag.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Had this when I bought my Trance coming off a Five.. Rarely, if ever do it now. Must have just changed when/where I pedal naturally.

jairaj

You’ll get used to it. Took me about 4 weeks to fully adjust but now I rarely get a pedal strike. Mostly only get them on steep technical climbs where you can’t really choose when to pedal or not. ie when its so steep the bike wont coast and you have to keep pedaling.

If it’s only 3mm difference then it will be too much sag.

I’d say 3mm would make a difference. I noticed difference with using lower profile pedals. Also noticed a big difference when going from 175mm cranks to 170mm cranks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Why so many pedal strikes on new bike.’ is closed to new replies.