Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Why snow tyres are pointless
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

From no where started hammering down with snow.

I’ve passed a few people with snow tyres struggling going up Norwood Edge

Crappy snow socks have worked just fine so far.

Now got to Harrogate and it makes no difference having snow socks, 4×4, superman, it’s just gridlocked.

Morale of the story, in the UK in snow you are going no where fast 🙁

globalti
    Free Member

Yup. At commuting time if it snows you’re goosed, snow tyres or not.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not this again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok that’s it – the one definitive story that reflects every situation. Thanks for clearing that up 🙂

No-one else’s experiences matter now.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t need Snow Tyres, or Winter Tyres, I’ve got a VOIP phone and an internet connection.

allthegear
    Free Member

Snow tyres and snow socks will get you “out of trouble” in places where it matters – in the wilds, where not getting out might mean life getting a bit scary.

As soon as you hit “civilisation”, other traffic is likely to be in the way but it really doesn’t matter – you’re not exactly going to die from exposure sat in your car in the middle of Harrogate. (unless you can’t afford a cake, of course)

Rachel

theflatboy
    Free Member

Morale of the story: low.

jeffl

Agree and disagree. My car in snow tyres would have got up that hill fine, by the looks of it. Relatively fresh snow, no icing all good. But yeah in traffic it’s pointless as you get stuck behind the other people without snow tyres.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t need snow tyres, I’m a driving god.

klunky
    Free Member

Your eyesight must be excellent if you can spot snow tires on other vehicles whilst driving

wwpaddler
    Free Member

How did you manage to notice what tyres people had whilst passing them on Norwood Edge?

scotroutes

Snow tyres? Are you getting confused with Winter Tyres?

zippykona

Hooray , snow day stay at home. Give the people in this country day off and they go **** shopping.
    A snow day is the only day families stick together and actually do something as a family.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Crappy snow socks have worked just fine so far.

I bet it was fun kneeling in a snowdrift fitting those snosox with juggernauts sliding around inches from your head…

cultsdave
    Free Member

If you had winter tyres you would not have needed ‘crappy snow socks’.
    Also better chance of steering and stopping in the snow with winter tyres as your snow socks are only on the rear.

andyl
    Free Member

and i can do 100mph in the snow on my winter tyres…. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been cycling around towns on the MTB with very few cars around apart from the odd stuck one. I’d have been fine driving around on snow tyres.

There was also the time we might’ve got stuck in stuck traffic out in the hills except we were able to take a different route which was car-free. And the snow was gone by the time we got to lower elevations.

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t need Snow Tyres, or Winter Tyres, I’ve got a VOIP phone and an internet connection. mountain bike.

SaxonRider

I’ve passed a few people with snow tyres struggling going up Norwood Edge

Don’t forget that another consideration in driving is ‘skill’. The best tyres in the world, when combined with shit driving, aren’t going to do much for you.

fasthaggis

I blame the parents,they failed to teach their children how to drive in the snow. 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

Harrogate. (unless you can’t afford a cake, of course)

£15 for a ‘open sandwich’ in betty’s. all open means is you get half the bread of a normal sandwich. £15!! 😯

was lovely though.

tomd
    Free Member

There’s no way you’d be struggling to get up that with decent winter tyres with a bit of tread left. Did you stop and inspect the models used and how worn they were?

fasthaggis

Tools for the job init.

robdob
    Free Member

Who wants grip on the snow anyway? It’s less fun. 🙂

willjones
    Free Member

That corner should be good fun in a rwd car in the snow.

martinhutch

Is that the actual A59 in your picture?

fasthaggis

No Martin,I think that’s in America.

willjones
    Free Member

Pretty sure it’s here

Cougar

Well, I’ve just abandoned my car four blocks from my house.

Road is gridlocked, there’s a van in the middle of a mini-roundabout blocking the street in three directions and there’s police everywhere. I hopped out of the car – with the handbrake on – to see if I could see what was going on and the movement was enough to break traction and it started sliding down the road! Managed to wrestle control back before it ploughed into a wall.

br
    Free Member

Yer, right.

Try my commute in your crappy-on-the-snow/ice RWD car, you wouldn’t even get out of my drive.

And, I’ll bet it’s fun on a downhill trying to brake 😯

martinhutch

Pretty sure it’s here

Ah, yes. Thought it was the little rise after Fewston reservoir for a moment.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How did you manage to notice what tyres people had whilst passing them on Norwood Edge?

Because I stopped and asked the person in the 4×4 who had skidded off the road if they were OK and needed a lift any where, also the person with winter tyres (sorry not snow) I stopped and asked them if they wanted a lift. Is Yorkshire folk are nice 🙂

My thread wasn’t so much about being smug, more about its useless having transportation that works in snow because you end up getting stuck anyhow!

Ironically I did sit in a que for 50 mins only to find no one was attempting to go up a hill by Harlow Carr. Which actually wasn’t an issue

Martin – no it’s the back road passed Stainburn

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Indeed… unless other people have skill and appropriate tyres you are probably going nowhere…

BUT there is a reason why snosox are not used much by people in Alpine areas and you won’t be allowed up some “fit chains” roads with them.

For me, the thing that improved my ability to get out in the snow was selling my BMW and getting a proper car 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

more about its useless having transportation that works in snow because you end up getting stuck anyhow!

Well – you did, on that occasion, but not everyone does everywhere, of course.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*Swoons at the driving gods and people who are prepared for the nuclear holocaust/0.5″ snow*

You might be able to stop, but your tires probably cost more than my car is worth, and I’m coming down the hill behind you, not so smug now!

[some of the above may be sarcastic and not intended to be taken as fact, it could be a childs face or baby robin, not an Audi sportback with winter tyres and a thule ride on rack on the back driven by a smug git]

bimster29
    Free Member

Work for this fella:

mos

Cheers OP, finally found out what ‘megalols’ are.

matt_outandabout

stoatsbrother +1

Snow tyres do not convey immortality driving skills or limitless traction – or the judgement when to stay at home.

Northwind

Drove back from peebles in heavy wet snow a couple of weeks back, not very much grip even with the snowproxes- very glad for them. And not the first time this winter either.

BadlyWiredDog

I use my rally-certified troll tyres in the snow. They offer unsurpassed levels of grip even on actual icebergs and bring all the boys to my troll yard, which in combination with my supernaturally brilliant driving skills allows me to safely tailgate at speeds of up to 150mph.

And before you query that, I used to be a professional troll driving instructor who taught the trolls how to drive, so I think I’m well qualified to comment here.

One last question, do I fit troll tyres all round or just on the front or rear or diagonally opposed axles? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Why snow tyres are pointless’ is closed to new replies.