Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • why singlespeed
  • Moe

I’ve also found it’s improved my running speed! 😀

chrispo
    Free Member

Help! I didn’t have myself down as mathematically challenged but…

1) Aren’t 32/16 and 34/17 exactly the same?

2) My Alfine 8-speed is on 32/20, and I believe 5th gear is the 1:1 ratio, so roughly speaking 32/18 SS is equivalent to 6th gear and 32/16 SS to 7th, which seems insanely high to me. Are you SSers really that hairy-chested or is my maths wrong here?

miketually
    Free Member

Aren’t 32/16 and 34/17 exactly the same?

Yes.

My Alfine 8-speed is on 32/20, and I believe 5th gear is the 1:1 ratio, so roughly speaking 32/18 SS is equivalent to 6th gear and 32/16 SS to 7th, which seems insanely high to me.

Sheldon Brown’s calculator has the gear inches of your set-up down as

1 – 20.6″
    2 – 25.2″
    3 – 29.3″
    4 – 33.3″
    5 – 39.2″
    6 – 47.9″
    7 – 55.6″
    8 – 63.2″

32:16 on a 26″ wheel is 48.9″, so just a little bit harder than 6th gear.

Are you SSers really that hairy-chested or is my maths wrong here?

🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

I ran a simple Dual speed for a while. Bigger ring to commute to work and flat and a smaller ring for lazy offroad

IMAG0098 by Dancake2010, on Flickr

For the record, the Alfine Dérailleur type tensioner was the best I found for converted SS, even if it looses some of the elegance. The “push down”
    type tensioners were ok but if you were in between chain lengths (ie a little long), I would get the odd slip when really pushing

satchm00
    Free Member

I’ve actually taken a link out since taking that photo.

It’s my ride to work it’s 34:16 I spin a little on one long flat but it get’s me comfortably up the hills and through the bridleways I tackle on way to work.

I really enjoy it compared to my geared bike, I don’t get to work knackered (I have a habit of getting the hardest gear and going as fast as possible), easy to clean, fun to ride in fact different style of riding its also helped my fitness on ups and I now use my brakes less because I’m trying to not lose speed.

It was also a fairly cheap build. Frame and forks off ebay the handle bar, stem and seat was bargains during January sales. Got a deal on brakes, wheels and cranks. I only spent £360, only luxury item was thomson seat post (factored in I’m 6ft 5 and 17 stone no point buying cheap seat post)

Dancake
    Free Member

Oh Go on then here’s another one from more affluent times

Single Speed 456 by Dancake2010, on Flickr

The 140mm fork and 2.5 minions probably didnt make sense but it was awfully good. You will hear it time and again but because you are keeping momentum up, you are forced into starting sections faster and getting air when you previously had not etc etc. Sounds like a cliche but true

I dont run SS now of course – it was a fad

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tried a 47″ gear at the weekend (32/20*29er) and it was a bit too spinny arround Dalby on the flat ish sections, nice on the hills though, I need to get out more so I can get back to 52″, which seems to spin out less (top speed = the speed youd stop pedaling and start pumping anyway).

Tasso
    Free Member

I’ll be sticking with the fad for a while yet.

Invested heavilly in a Robin Mather custom frame with trackends several years ago now. It’s sprouted a big front wheel and lost the suspension forks but it’s still the quickest bike I have for climbing and most fun through tight twisty singletrack.

Finished building up a Carver 96er yesterday with Midge flared bars running 34:17 and carbon rigids. Time for a SS comeback perhaps.

White industries freewheels and 2:1 ratio the way to go unless you live somewhere very flat. It’s all about the climbing and the last thing you want is an unreliable hub/freewheel.

tomlevell

chrispo – Member

Help! I didn’t have myself down as mathematically challenged but…

1) Aren’t 32/16 and 34/17 exactly the same?

Mathematically yes.
    In the eyes of the zealot No.

32:16 on a 26″ wheel is 48.9″, so just a little bit harder than 6th gear.

52″ gear Surly

nick3216
    Free Member

Mathematically yes.
    In the eyes of the zealot No.

I’m sure track cyclists make a case for different chainring/cog sizes with the same ratio feeling different.

miketually
    Free Member

52″ gear Surly

You’re right; I must have got something wrong on the form. So, SSers are even more bad ass (and stupider) than I thought 🙂

speaker2animals

I read somewhere that the chain is more efficient with bigger sprockets. Something to do with wrap around. Though I don’t think there is much problem in the 15 tooth and above, it’s more at your 11 tooth end.

miketually
    Free Member

I read somewhere that the chain is more efficient with bigger sprockets. Something to do with wrap around. Though I don’t think there is much problem in the 15 tooth and above, it’s more at your 11 tooth end.

Apparently, a 12t sprocket is faster than an 11t sprocket, for a given chainring size, for this very reason.

With bigger cogs, you’re less likely to get chain slip and there should be less wear on the cogs?

miketually
    Free Member

This bike‘s using a 27:10 drivetrain 🙂

dday

The joy of every hill you get to, you geared mates will rush past you, and just as you approach the steep part of the climb, you will be in front, happily grunting away to the sounds behind of furious derailleurs getting mashed down to the respective granny rings as fast as those sweaty thumbs can press the levers. Glorious!

aracer
    Free Member

Single speed is a job half done.

Go fixed my friend and free your mind!

Pah – fixed is a job half done – you still have a chain and two cogs.

ononeorange

Went out on my 32:16 with a mate for a couple of hours yesterday morning, ride of the year so far. Thoroughly enjoyed it, reminded me (if I needed it) why I ride bikes.

Shan’t bore you with stats (which are frankly pedestrian anyway), but it was great for me.

Note though that the maintenance-free claims above are not toally true, as I found out when my transmission started slipping after several years use. A very stretched chain and virtually no teeth left on the rear sprocket seemed to be the cause.

theredchili
    Free Member

I did the Honc on mine yesterday- 50K , lots of hills, I loved it .Was going to do it geared and last minute change my mind and took the single speed – I find it so enjoyable as an alternative to my full susser .

nick3216
    Free Member

Wow, singlespeeds without ten days of kit on them are light!

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘why singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.