Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Why should you *not* use a 9 speed powerlink on a full 10 speed setup?
  • druidh
    Free Member

Answers on a postcard please.

Physics Graduates will have their responses marked 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Something to do with black holes ?

ton

8 spd here. philestine innit 😀

STATO
    Free Member

Its wider, catches on the front mech and possibly other sprockets on the cassette. Saying that, i ran one on a demo bike when the organisers of the ride had failed to bring ant 10spd spares, ran fine, could hear it knock against the front mech on occasions tho. Wouldnt want to run it like that for long.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Why are powerlinks one use only for 10 speed? (other than they cant be undone)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

only sram ones are usable once

check out wipperman connex or kmc quick links, they can be used over and over

timbur
    Free Member

Powerlock on 10 speed init?

warton
    Free Member

Its wider, catches on the front mech and possibly other sprockets on the cassette

How much wider? not enough to catch on a front mech surely? as the internal width is the same (3/32) I’m thinking the external width is going to be a fraction of a mm diference.

Why are powerlinks one use only for 10 speed?

KMC do a reusable 10 speed one, much needed today when my chain somehow got out of the jockey wheel cage…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good Q, I guess it might work. Try it.

druidh
    Free Member

I did. Today. Gears were “hunting” and I couldn’t adjust it out. After a bit of investigation I spotted a broken link. My spare 10 speed link turned out to be half a link but I found a 9 speed link and thought it was worth a try. It managed 60km with no problems at all.

I’m actually wondering if it’s worth changing it.

BoardinBob

only sram ones are usable once

havers. re-use them all the time

bangermoose
    Free Member

those KMC ones, on crc they only have Shimano or Campag KMC links, either of those fit on a sram 10 speed? as i cant find a KMC link for sram?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Daft question, can you use SRAM links on shimano 10 speed chains? If so can you use a SRAM chain on a shimano 10 speed set up (like you could on a 9 speed?)

druidh
    Free Member

Yes and yes

TheBrick
    Free Member

How much wider? not enough to catch on a front mech surely? as the internal width is the same (3/32) I’m thinking the external width is going to be a fraction of a mm diference

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ch.html

3/16″ (.1875″, 4.76 mm), used until the middle of the 20th century on many bicycles; this was inch-pitch chain.

1/8″ (0.125″, 3.18 mm) chain is used on most single-speed bicycles, and bicycles with internal gearing.

3/32″ (0.094″, 2.30 mm) chain is used on derailer equipped bicycles that have more than 3 cogs at the rear.

Even somewhat narrower chain, typically .090″ or 2.29 mm between the inner plates, is used for derailer-equipped bicycles with 10 or more sprockets at the rear.

jimr80
    Free Member

i run a 9 speed sram power link on my 10 speed set with no noticable problems. 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Why should you *not* use a 9 speed powerlink on a full 10 speed setup?’ is closed to new replies.