Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • why oh why won't gt bring back the ball burnished zaskar frame/bike?
  • racefaceec90

i know that they bought it back (in very ltd quantities) but why don’t they make it a production model again (do exactly the same frame as the ltd model,but full production)have just posted a request onto their web site (here’s hoping).i seriously would buy one of them in a heartbeat (along with a lot of other people)if they did (has been one of my dream bikes for as long as i can remember/it seemed to excel at almost anything.please gt you know it makes sense 😀 p.s forgot to add picture (this is the one mbuk had as a prize in one of their comps)

duir
    Free Member

Here here. I had the Zaskar LE ball burnished frame in 1997, a hand made classic. A hardcore hardtail, before hardcore hardtails had been invented.

thepodge
    Free Member

real demand < nostalgic demand

kaysee

I know where there is a brand new reissue Zakar frame hanging up unused if you’re after one. I’m off out now, so email me if you want and I’ll send on details tomorrow. I’m sure they’d be open to offers, as it’s been hanging around unsold for a while now….

coffeeking
    Free Member

That looks polished, not ball burnished?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Panaracer Smokes!

The BEST tyres ever.

mokl
    Free Member

Smoke/Dart combo… you know it makes sense!

racefaceec90

kaysee.i would be very interested in the frame,but do not have any money at present (was going to p’x my 2010 anthem x2 frame towards it,at my local bike shop,as they are very good at letting me do that (have done it before).although if i had a word with said bike shop,they contact the shop that you mentioned,perhaps that might work?might they possibly agree to that? (unfortunately cannot e mail you as computer keeps asking me for options to send e mail (am not very computer savvy :oops:) but my e mail is :- adamibanezcunningham@hotmail.co.uk my frame size is 15″-16″ by the way.really appreciate the heads up. 😀

nicko74

No no no – you want the blue/ yellow Team issue colours! Actually, having had a GT as my first bike, you probably don’t *really* want a GT at all. Your buttocks really won’t thank you for it, you know…

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Ha ha, I knew someone who had one of those re-issues, he wouldn’t sell it to me even though it was just lying around in a shed. I bought an avalanche and took all the paint off then polished it to within an inch of it’s life instead.

Kuco

I had a Zaskar LE back in the day, good bike but you only had to look at the mech hanger and it would snap. Got a mate at the time to cnc some decent ones up for me.

takisawa2

God thats nice. (Apart from the purple stuff).
    I always lusted after a ball-burnished one. Jut couldnt get the £285 together for one though. How cheap is that for a US hand built frame these days…
    I eventually painted my 92′ Timberline silver & painted my RS Quadra’s yellow to look like Judy’s.
    It still exists in my brothers garage. He’s promised it me back when he gets rid.

racefaceec90

takisawa2 when they did the ltd run they were selling them for £700 (i know pretty expensive,but man i still would 😉 should have added frame and seat post clamp,not a full bike.

crazy-legs

My LBS has one of the limited edition Zaskar re-issues in stock. The owner built it up with full period parts: full XTR groupset, purple Ringle bits, Judy SL forks, it looked great. 🙂

He’s still got the frame for sale I think.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My first proper bike was a 96/7 timberline that I fitted yellow Indy SL’s. I loved that bike it got nicked when it was built up with some 100mm triple clamp Judy xlc forks.

nicko74

My first proper bike was a 96/7 timberline that I fitted yellow Indy SL’s. I loved that bike it got nicked when it was built up with some 100mm triple clamp Judy xlc forks.

‘sfunny, at the time I had my GT I had an older mate who I knew from orienteering who’d got into mountain biking. When he heard I had a GT (Arrowhead, I think, Z1 BAM bombers orange), he said “ah, we’ve all had a GT”
    And it does seem to be true of bikers of a certain age. I remember lusting after a carbon GT STS for a long time…

clive
    Free Member

How about a Xizang with 456 geometry 😀

racefaceec90

kaysee or crazy-legs.my internet credit is nearly used up/won’t be back online until 4th march if either of the bike shops have a zaskar re issue frame in either 15″ or16″ would definitely be interested. what i was hoping was to get my local(ish) bike shop to buy frame.then p/x my anthem frame and swap components to new frame (the bike shop has kindly let me pay off my anthem interest free/ride it whilst paying it off/1 payment left woohoo! (even though i am unemployed). my mobile number is 07504948511. if it turns out that one of the shops does have frame in size,will ask my local shop if they might be willing to buy frame (they take my bike as collateral).sorry to be long winded,but i hope you understand what i mean. :-)but either way thanks for letting us know about them. right i’ll shut up now.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Smoke/Dart combo… you know it makes sense!

Never really rated the Smoke but I’ve got Darts (the re-issued ones from a few years ago) on all four of my MTB’s 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The WTB Velociraptors were similar tyres, used to have them on me Schwinn. Good times. 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

there was a chap on here who took my old GT Tempest off my hands and polished it up, made it look amazing (much better than the metallic swamp green in was). I too dreamed of a masker in my youth, either that or a P7. At least I achieved one thing in my life, by finally getting a 2010 P7!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Fat tubed alloy frames these days = fail. People over here seem to err towards steel for hardtails that get a hammering now, hence no more Mmmbop (the Blue Pig outsold it at some crazy ratio didn’t it).

Good frames (loved mine) but as someone said above, real demand vs nostalgic value

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had a ’96 Zaskar LE which was great, still have it, but its a bit distorted after being knocked to the ground at 25mph!
    Probably best left in the past tbh, rose tinted spectacles etc.

I_Ache
    Free Member

‘sfunny, at the time I had my GT I had an older mate who I knew from orienteering who’d got into mountain biking. When he heard I had a GT (Arrowhead, I think, Z1 BAM bombers orange), he said “ah, we’ve all had a GT”
    And it does seem to be true of bikers of a certain age. I remember lusting after a carbon GT STS for a long time…

nicko I’m going to come back to woy with the strageness that was the GT fad. My main riding buddy at the time also had the same year Timberline as me (in a different colour). We lusted after the STS and the Lobo so much. Then the iDrives came out and he got one of them. A few years ago he picked up a STS frame but has never managed to get it built up.

tops5
    Free Member

My 1st proper MTB was a Timberline too! (it all seemed more fun back then somehow).

Also had a Zaskar LE with the yellow/blue decals, ball burnished LTS and carbon STS. Would love to have that Zaskar back now…

GT’s just don’t seem the same these days though do they?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I had a ’96 model in black, was worlds apart from the clockwork it replaced. Also had a proflex 856 at the same time, it never really got ridden after the zaskar arrived. Around 2002 I put 100mm manitou minutes on it, still rode great, if a little tall

tops5
    Free Member

Although BB is the classic finish – I always wanted an ink blue one

Wookster

Can remember lusting after a Zasker le with judy? Forks oh how I wanted that!!! Then a proflex 456!! Amazing how much has changed!!

zaskarrider
    Free Member

well, with a username like mine i have to agree !! 😆

best bike i ever had… and im glad to say IVE STILL GOT IT.
    my 20 year old GT zaskar L.E. hand build in the US of A.
    along with its downhill rockshox judies chris king headset, hope hubs,XT thumb shifters etc.
    http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/zaskarrider/my%20bikes/DSCF1234.jpg

enjoy 😉

zaskarrider
    Free Member
    zaskarrider
    Free Member

and then just for a change.. ye olde Pantera A.L.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/zaskarrider/my%20bikes/DSCF1203.jpg

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Had a ’95 Zaskar LE until about 2 years ago. Fantastic bike. Oringinally built up proper pimp with Pace RC35s, loads of x-lite, Hope etc, then later stuck a pair of Judy DH on to make it a bit more long travel 😀

Gave it to my brother 2 years ago and I think it’s been ridden once in that time, sat in the garage gathering dust.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Had 1 purple LE in the early 90’s it was a much better bike than i was/am rider. Lightning quick on buffed singletrack. It turned pink so i got it anodised blue. ‘Twas never the same again…

twonks

Not posted on here for a fair while, but having just rebuilt my 1999 Zaskar LE back up, I thought it may ba appreciated by some in the thread 🙂

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

i had a avalanche of 91 ish vintage which also was bb.looked for all the world like a zaskar.the only difference being the made in usa tag and probably the welds not looking as good.

scaredypants

waiting for my kids to get big enough to ride my old zaskar LE – not sure I’ll put the elastomer judy back on though; that thing was proper kack

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘why oh why won't gt bring back the ball burnished zaskar frame/bike?’ is closed to new replies.