Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Why no SNP candidates in England ?
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Dunblane, city…

LMFAO

Makes Midsomer look like Mega City One in comparison. And yes, we did have a manned station at the time, usually looking in my schools direction.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Of course you need a few armed officers spread about the place, so they can respond to any potential incident. To not have them would open themselves up to massive criticism should the worst happen and they were not able to respond for an extended length of time, vs virtually no downside of having them, save the hand wringing of a minority of worried whingers…

No one was saying we shouldn’t have armed officers, just that there’s not need to have cops walking around with rifles in Aviemore or Castle Douglas.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Defo a roll, and not very good yins at that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Some proper rolls

Northwind

whatnobeer – Member

No one was saying we shouldn’t have armed officers, just that there’s not need to have cops walking around with rifles in Aviemore or Castle Douglas.

The change in the rules didn’t mean that we should have more armed officers- the difference is basically should armed officers be routinely armed or should they only be armed when there’s a specific need for it. Or in other words, do you want your armed officers to be slower to respond because they’re kept operationally ready or unready. I really don’t like it tbh but it’s a bit nuanced.

The other issue was the sending of said armed officers to non-armed-response calls. Which again, controversial but did amount to “well it’s either that or they spend most of their time eating doughnuts.” I think if you need a copper in a hurry, you’d rather get one fast and possibly they have a gun, rather than waiting longer for an unarmed one because the nearest one was an armed unit.

One of those things where I know what I’d like the answer to be but I don’t know if I’m right…

onehundredthidiot

Basically the numbers of beat officers has dropped, to keep the number of officers visible some you wouldn’t normally see had to respond to normal calls.
    The question becomes do you, as a trained and competent officer, leaving a live weapon in locked car or take it with you? What are the consequences of someone getting the weapon out of the car?
    So a trained fire arms officer responds to a speeding call and had his weapon with him because he perceives that as the lesser of two evils.

matt_outandabout

Ooh, check me out, I live in a city, Dahlings.

mefty
    Free Member

Ooh, check me out, I live in a city, Dahlings.

Sadly having a cathedral does not automatically mean that a place is a city – and in this case it doesn’t – very sorry to rain on your parade, time is a great healer!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

One of those things that happens in England, IIUC, is that armed officers are out and about responding to normal calls. The serious kit is in a safe in their car. It’s become a political hot potato in N Scotland and the media are all over it. I think this tells you more about the media than policing.

They could be sat in their base with a bored expression waiting for the phone to ring.

Has anyone seen cops walking round with rifles in Aviemore? I’m not up with the news.

mt
    Free Member

nemesis – Member
    Which chance was that mt?

To vote for an independent Scotland.

Northwind

I think it was holstered sidearms that people were complaining of rather than rifles etc.

Apparently the number of beat officers in Scotland is actually rising- though number of officers doesn’t neccesarily mean more time spent out and about/available.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah, right mt. I see then that the self styled “45” are still behaving in the way that ensured they didn’t win then. Nice work.

maccruiskeen

I’d call it a roll.

A friend of mine had a young cousin from america staying with him – he was sent down the shops to get ‘half a dozen rolls’. He was too shy to say he wasn’t sure what a ‘roll’ was out of any other context. So he went to the shop that seemed to sell the most different things and tentatively asked for ‘half a dozen rolls’ whilst still not really knowing what he was buying or even if he was in the right shop to buy them in. The shop keeper replied ‘Would you like a wee poke’ – he didn’t know if he was being threatened or propositioned.

duckman

Brechin also qualifies for city status if “cathedralgate” is true. It should also qualify for armed police…all of them…all the time..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I don’t get the point odf an anti-westminster but pro-europe SNP.

mefty
    Free Member

Brechin also qualifies for city status if “cathedralgate” is true. It should also qualify for armed police…all of them…all the time..

As does Elgin, but officially none of them are for Government purposes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why ?
    many of the pro unionist parties are anti the EU..its almost as if they decide if its a good or a bad union rather than just liking unions.

or to put it another way I like bikes but it does not mean I like them all

jambalaya
    Free Member

@oliverd – 🙂 No neither do many of us

Don’t get me and THM started, dozens and dozens of pages of this on the Referendum thread. An independent Scotland using the £ and not setting it’s own interest rates or able to support it’s own banks (assuming it had any). Or using the euro and having all that Greek liability.

Re: “hating the English” the SNP are smart enough to speak of Westminster as anything else is tantamount to racism but a big part of their support is very much anti-English. They certainly want “our” money as a mansion tax and 50p tax rate will be paid largely by those in England

Junkyard
    Free Member

As the SNP policy is for full fiscal autonomy [ and has been for some time] its quite hard to argue they want “your” taxes. Clearly they want independence from “your taxes”.
    Not this again 🙄

English nationality and based residents ranting about the SNP hating them [ whilst freely admitting how much they hate the SNP] and accusing them of being racist .
    Of the irony and the hypocrisy of it all.

a big part of their support is very much anti-English

Are your pants on fire ?
    I am not sure why anyone struggles with having different views on different unions.

Lets not do all this all over again with the same lazy thinking

duckman

but a big part of their support is very much anti-English

And yet the terms like “sweaty”, “jock”, “braveheart wannabies shouting freedom”(Ernies,can’t remember the exact wording)all came from English posters on the indy thread.

nemesis
    Free Member

SNP believe that union with Westminster (well, the UK) sees Scotland treated badly but believes that union with Europe would see them treated well.

It’s not that complex is it?

epicsteve
    Free Member

They certainly want “our” money as a mansion tax and 50p tax rate will be paid largely by those in England

When you say “they” I’m assuming you mean the Scots generally rather than the SNP – given what you’ve described there is what Labour in Scotland having been saying, rather than the SNP?

Northwind

oliverd1981 – Member

Do you understand pro-UK but anti-Europe arguments?

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s not that complex is it?

No but it still seems to be beyond some posters grasp.

Still they have some mud to fling in response

gordimhor

Epicsteve beat me to it. Unless Jim Murphy has given up and applied to join the SNP
    ” but a big part of their support is very much anti-English. “

Any evidence for your sweeping statement Jambalaya?

nemesis
    Free Member

I suppose that unfortunately they can’t see beyond the braveheart type (because yes, of course they exist (see above) just not in the numbers that some would claim) just wanting complete freedom from any outsiders. To suppose that all scots are that way inclined (even the ones who apparently were brave enough to vote ‘Yes’) just shows up ignorance. Plus ca change.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed but the small number of posters like that are matched by the small number of anti scottish english.
    IMHO its just a really lazy claim made by the hard of thinking
    Jam and THM do not hate the SNP because they are Scottish and it would be as daft to claim that as it is to claim the SNP hate the english.
    Give it a rest will you and discuss the issue rather than shout racist

dragon
    Free Member

SNP and Labour in Scotland have in effect said they want 50% tax bracket, mansion tax and bankers bonus tax all of which disproportionately effect the SE.

Also love the way SNP want more money for the Wales but not at Scotland’s expense, so really it’s not about need and fair redistribution. But that is no surprise for a party that doesn’t believe in the UK.

onehundredthidiot

The tax rate and mansion tax is being promoted by several parties. SNP aren’t going to bring all funds raised to Edinburgh. It’s seen, rightly or wrongly, as a money raising method to benefit all parts of the UK. The only people who at the moment seem to want to break up the union are UKIP, with their, geographically incorrect, Hadrians wall and us And them rhetoric.

Junkyard
    Free Member

SNP and Labour in Scotland have in effect said they want 50% tax bracket, mansion tax and bankers bonus tax all of which disproportionately effect the SE

So you think Unions are unfair because parties from others countries can impose policies on other regions/areas ?

onehundredthidiot

Imposing or proposing?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perfectly logical to be anti-Westminster (or more accurately pro devolved power) and pro-EU (in its original form). Indeed that is the most logical position.

I am a strong advocate of devolved power within a union – the best solution for all. But I am strongly against the blatant deceit and lies that YS/SNP used in order to deliver independence and still use now. They took/take political subterfuge to its most extreme conclusion and ultimately the lies over the currency were the main reason why the open goal was missed. If you put too much hot air into the ball, it will go over the bar even from the short range.

The one lesson that Labour should remember is that for the SNP its all about the end game. The end justifies the means whatever they are including lying, threatening (technical) default, endangering UK security just as global geopolitics are taking a very dangerous turn, lying about austerity and fiscal responsibility etc

Both the Labour party and the Tories are playing a dangerous game with an opponent who is single minded in their aim whatever the current “soft-focus” might suggest. Like matches, need to be handled with care or else you will get badly burnt.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

THM – you dont half talk some amount of shite.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The one lesson that Labour should remember is that for the SNP its all about the end game. The end justifies the means whatever they are including lying, threatening (technical) default, endangering UK security just as global geopolitics are taking a very dangerous turn, lying about austerity and fiscal responsibility etc

Both the Labour party and the Tories are playing a dangerous game with an opponent who is single minded in their aim whatever the current “soft-focus” might suggest. Like matches, need to be handled with care or else you will get badly burnt.
    Agreed one hundred times over

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

I try my best – its all about positioning as wee Nicola know only too well. 😉

Bon appetit

jambalaya
    Free Member

@epic actually you could say that for both Labour and the SNP as those taxes would impact the SE where neither has a great deal of support (ex inner London) so politically expedient. As we’ve seen with non-doms Labour are prepared to see a reduction in taxes to score politcal points. They don’t care if non-dom taxes fall they just just put the top rate up to 60% instead, ditto the SNP

As stated I don’t despise the SNP for being Scottish, just for the lies they tell and the fact that a break up of the UK is bad for both the Scots and for the rest of the UK

Junkyard
    Free Member

Many would consider your claim re hatred of the english to be nothing less than a lie You got called out on it by numerous posters and have made no comment on this since

As we’ve seen with non-doms Labour are prepared to see a reduction in taxes to score politcal points.

Conjecture not a fact so no we have not seen this and they claim that taxes will increase. Anyway back to those lying politicians.

As stated I don’t despise the SNP for being Scottish, just for the lies they tell

If you are going to despise politicians and political parties that lie then you are going to have to make a very long list

The dislike you and THM have for the SNP is rather amusing and the “spin” you will both use to justify it whilst calling the SNP liars and deceivers is at satirical levels.
    They are no different form any other party in this area of truth and deception and the only difference is, for reasons that remain unclear, they elicit a very strong emotional reaction in some English loving unionists that makes debate difficult.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Called out ? What are you talking about ? Deeply ingrained hatred of the English visible in Scotland and in the SNP.

The BS and lies from the SNP are at a whole different level vs most politicians

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

the open goal

Gently raises eyebrow. But if anyone still doubts how divorced you are from reality on the subject…

Junkyard
    Free Member

What are you talking about ?

Your claim that the SNP hated the english and the posters who questioned this. Did you not read the thread after you posted ?

Deeply ingrained hatred of the English visible in Scotland and in the SNP.

Unfortunately you repeating a claim [and still not evidencing it] is some way short of a proof of that claim

The BS and lies from the SNP are at a whole different level vs most politicians

Well the most means you accept they are at least like some. IMHO they are not really and the only difference is that yours and THM dislike for them is at a whole different level.
    Its a pointless “debate” most can see your bias* even if you cannot.

* in fairness to THM he accepts he is biased towards them as i would accept I am biased against Tories [ not intended as a dig to be very clear]

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Why no SNP candidates in England ?’ is closed to new replies.