• This topic has 53 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nach.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Why no female specific pedals?
  • bobsproket
    Free Member

My wife is moving from XC racing to a more Enduro type of riding and is looking for a pedal system to suit her tiny size 5 feet.
    We have found a really nice pair of Northwave shoes and she likes the look of the new DMR V-Twin pedals but they are absolutely massive in comparison to her shoes.
    I’ve tried her on my XT Trails but she wants a bigger base for non-clipped in technical sections.
    Any opinions?

cookeaa

I’m sure you can get them anodised pink if needs be…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallet enduro are good but narrower

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mugsys_m8

With size 5 feet I’d be thinking of looking at children size pedals. Will wait for a thread titled “why no child specific pedals”.

I can see your point though!

bubs

Crank Bros double shot or various Time pedals. Alternatively, some kids flat pedals.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Unclipping for technical bits is a really bad idea.

wiggles
    Free Member

Unclipping for technical bits is a really bad idea.

+100

Bigger platforms are to support your foot and help guide it back to clip in and yes they are better than nothing if you can’t clip in but you shouldn’t plan on trying to ride like that…

bobsproket
    Free Member

She’s been racing xc with Shimano pedals for nearly 25 years but is just a little nervous when doing big rock gardens on black runs and clearing doubles.
    She has also won more races than most of you guys put together!
    Kids pedals?!? Really???
    Also PINK?????
    WTF guys, come on!

damascus
    Free Member

Kirkstart idea?

I’m surprised there isn’t one especially as they do 29er specific saddles!

I’d have thought any excuse to charge us more money.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member
    I’m sure you can get them anodised pink if needs be…

OP, as mentioned above, try Time MX6. Platform clipless, but smaller overall than many of the huge DH oriented ones out there. Also, Time, so they’re bombproof.

scotroutes

I’d have thought the Mallet E would have been perfect for her.

bobsproket
    Free Member

Yep, looking at the Mallet E’s though she tried the Crank Bros pedals when they first appeared and didn’t get on with float but maybe with the pins they’d be better.

nickjb
    Free Member

If she’s not keen on being clipped in then get some flats. Good for technique although she might get a bit annoyed to start with if she is used to pedaling clipped in. Unclipped on spds is the worst of both worlds

RobHilton
    Free Member

when doing big rock gardens on black runs and clearing doubles

Seriously, think about why unclipping in these situations is a bad move.

legend
    Free Member

bobsproket – Member
    She’s been racing xc with Shimano pedals for nearly 25 years but is just a little nervous when doing big rock gardens on black runs and clearing doubles.
    She has also won more races than most of you guys put together!

Regardless, if she’s moving to more gravity orientated riding it’s something she really wants to try and get rid of. Things like rock gardens are a place where being clipped in is a benefit rather than a hinderance

Mallet E is probably the answer to the question though. Times are very good but the bars are like ice when not clipped in

Rubber_Buccaneer

Give flats a go. She may really like them and I think a far better idea than riding unclipped over tricky bits

scotroutes

bobsproket – Member
    Yep, looking at the Mallet E’s though she tried the Crank Bros pedals when they first appeared and didn’t get on with float but maybe with the pins they’d be better.

You can reduce the float by swapping the cleats over and you can buy 0 degree cleats.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you don’t really need to with the gravity CB’s when you put pressure through them the pins lock you in, the float appears when you need it/want it slightly unweighted.
    The upside of the mallet design is that when you do unclip on the pedal with good flat soled shoes you can still ride relatively well. I’ve done it a bit last weekend in the hideous mud conditions and a few other places.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What others said, trying to ride spd ‘platform’ pedals whilst not clipped in just doesn’t work. Regardless of how many races shes won it’s a stupid idea,it’s like trying to get your cofidence up ice skating by doing it in trainers.

bobsproket
    Free Member

Some positive useful comments but others not so much.
    If riding whilst not clipped in is such a bad idea then why do pedals like the V-twin and the Mallet DH exist?
    What is the difference between riding unclipped with these pedals and flats with five-tens?
    You’re telling me you absolutely never ever unclip from getting on your bike to getting off?

wiggles
    Free Member

It’s for time when you fail to clip back in between that corner and the next feature as a back up and to provide grip and support whilst clipped in.

legend
    Free Member

What wiggles says, think of it as an emergency feature. it is not to give the rider another option.

You’re telling me you absolutely never ever unclip from getting on your bike to getting off?

When riding clips that’s exactly the idea yeah (other than emergency dabs)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bigger platforms are to support your foot and help guide it back to clip in and yes they are better than nothing if you can’t clip in but you shouldn’t plan on trying to ride like that

Having once turned up without my SPDs I was amazed how grippy my platform times were and I did not slip off them

Not sure i would recomend it tbh but it was certainly dooable
    The platforms were TIME so again not my experience

I agree with what everyone says wear clips or use flats as the half way house she wants does not exist – I suspect it will be hard to get a grippy SPD shoe that works well when not clipped in

What is the difference between riding unclipped with these pedals and flats with five-tens?

I assume – years since used- that flats are more grippy than an spd unclipped or they woudl design flats like SPD pedals

that is the point of clips you are clipped in

I think you are looking for th ebest of bith options
    I dont think it exists

bobsproket
    Free Member

Emergency dabs is exactly what she’s after.

legend
    Free Member

An emergency dab is when a wheel slides out and you shove out a foot then immediately clip back in. Not deliberately unclipping when approaching something you don’t like

Euro
    Free Member

What you want is pedals for small feet – some women have bigger feet than some men. And then they don’t have to be pink 😀

As mentioned there are kids flats about and some of the spd pedals i’ve seen look pretty small/narrow – just not he DMR ones your wife likes. V8s are fairly small and there’s bound to be others

iolo
    Free Member

PD-A530 from Shimano

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personal experience time (sure I’m wrong 😉 )
    done a lot of this over the years, I could use the smaller shimano SPD and candies for a bit in the gap between the front and back tread on Spec XC type shoes, it works if you make it.
    On Mallets with proper flat style shoes (comparing to Teva’s on flats) it’s different but enough to get through that section if you are out of the pedal, could manage plenty of steep sections by using the right technique though the clip does stop a clean contact with the shoe.

Real part is can you be comfortable like that. I can.

Bigger platforms are to support your foot and help guide it back to clip in and yes they are better than nothing if you can’t clip in but you shouldn’t plan on trying to ride like that…

A comment I hear a lot about shimano pedals – that would be why they are not used that much at the pointy end I guess (event he shimano sponsored DH riders seem to be in CB these days) The mallets give more than support and guidance. It’s always been very different to the DX style pedals which is what has made them popular

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think this might be the only time “shrink it” (and pink it) might work as we’re only talking size, but in reality she’s after smaller flats.

I’d have a look at the DMR V6, V8, V12 range – as other pedals have gotten bigger and bigger I think they’re the same now as they’ve always been. They were originally BMX pedals so they’re not massive. Any colour you fancy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We have found a really nice pair of Northwave shoes and she likes the look of the new DMR V-Twin pedals but they are absolutely massive in comparison to her shoes.

P-Jay – Member
    I think this might be the only time “shrink it” (and pink it) might work as we’re only talking size, but in reality she’s after smaller flats.

not flats…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah sorry, I’m off my face today.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If riding whilst not clipped in is such a bad idea then why do pedals like the V-twin and the Mallet DH exist?

If she’s been racing (and winning races) for that long, then she should probably know unclipping to try and ride a fast technical section or clear a jump in an SPD shoe on a clipped pedal, regardless of whether it’s got a platform on not, is a total sh*t show. It will end in tears of pain.

The afore mentioned platform style clipped pedal is a (very) poor substitute to s decent set of flats & 5-10’s. The platform is there to provide more support for the shoe/foot when clipped in and also when dabbing & not being able to clip back in so you at least have something of a reasonably size to aim your foot at & have a chance of riding a section out.

In short, it’s nothing like riding flats & 5-10’s.

It’s more akin (with similar grip levels) to riding a set of plastic pedals from a £99.99 Asda bike with some worn our Nike running shoes.

I.e. Total crap.

Sounds like she needs a set of flats and decent shoes to start with, and learn to ride some tech.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

then she should probably know unclipping to try and ride a fast technical section or clear a jump in an SPD shoe on a clipped pedal, regardless of whether it’s got a platform on not, is a total sh*t show. It will end in tears of pain.

Sounds like she needs a set of flats and decent shoes to start with, and learn to ride some tech.

Maybe it’s you that are lacking in the skills?

The platform on these pedals does way more than that if you know how to use it properly. Of course it won’t be like 5-10’s and flats but it’s not useless.

RobHilton
    Free Member

This is how she’ll deal with the fear – not by compromising herself when something scary presents itself.

steveoath
    Free Member

The Cyclo-Cross Guide: Pedals and Shoes

Not enduro reviews, but smallish pedals nonetheless.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Maybe it’s you that are lacking in the skills?
    The platform on these pedals does way more than that if you know how to use it properly. Of course it won’t be like 5-10’s and flats but it’s not useless.

I’m quote happy with my skill level, thanks – perfectly competant through racing enough DH & Enduro over the years both clipped in and on flats (have won & podium’d races on both) to know that comparing it to a decent set of of flats, yes, it can accurately be described as useless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fair enough, they are still there and still work a lot better than being unclipped on a pure XC pedal (or the pure support platforms) and with decent technique can work well – obviously my personal experience there. Don’t think anyone was expecting them to work like a full on flat with proper shoes but IMHO much better than useless as in I’m still on the bike leaving the technical section and in particular with the mallet forward or backward clipping action back in and clipped with a slight release of pressure and roll of the foot.

JoeG
    Free Member

Shimano M424

Shimano M545

Shimano M647

Shimano MT50*

* These are Clickr version – lower release tension than normal SPD which may/may not be good.

poah
    Free Member

only when I stop or fall off (sometimes stay clipped even then lol )

being unclipped with spds and XC shoes is such a stupid plan. I have time MX6 pedals and have pretty much no grip unless I’m clipped in.

alternative is to get some flat pedals like mentioned above or maybe get some dual DH pedals and a pair of 5:10 clippless shoes that have a better sole for riding unclipped. However, my advice would be to ride rock gardens clipped in which would save time.

my son (size 4) rides with 5:10s and saint pedals with no issue. only reason I’d like to get him smaller pedals is to make sure he positions his foot properly but that’s a lack of experience not down to shoe size.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fair enough, they are still there and still work a lot better than being unclipped on a pure XC pedal (or the pure support platforms) and with decent technique can work well – obviously my personal experience there. Don’t think anyone was expecting them to work like a full on flat with proper shoes but IMHO much better than useless as in I’m still on the bike leaving the technical section and in particular with the mallet forward or backward clipping action back in and clipped with a slight release of pressure and roll of the foot.

It is “useless”, because you would have far more controll and be far less likely to crash if clipped in or just riding flats. Flats have their uses, spd’s have their uses, these pedals are just worse than both and therefore useless.

The point is that crashing hurts, but being clipped in doesnt make you crash. Watch any ‘fail’ compilation on youtube from an enduro/DH race and 90% of it is made up of people tripoding down technical sections half clipped in (often whilst someone clipped in breezes past).

Either get over the fear of crashing in clips (the trails arent littered with the torn off legs of bikes who couldnt unclip), or ride flats, either way maybe a skills course might help? If she knows she can ride big doubles with someone like Jedi, then snaller ones on the trail will be less intimidating.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Why no female specific pedals?’ is closed to new replies.