• This topic has 56 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Why? Littering scumbag content!
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

hanging dog sh*t in hedges!

A few years back I did a stint as a volutary ranger in a National Park. One day I challenged a women who was hanging a bag of dog pooh on a tree. Her answer was “I thought it would make it easier for the wardens to pick it up” … FFS, the mentality of some people!

Agree with the comment about having entered a race or sportive gives some immunity against littering.

I never feel awkward about challenging anyone I see dropping litter. You might get a bit of abuse, but most people become very embarrassed that they’ve been caught.

scruff9252

Northwind

Marshalling, I’ve had racers just throw stuff at me as they pass- wherever possible I stop them, chase them down and give it back.

Not excusing it, but many events I have been to including Tri’s and Marathons, the marshals have bins and are there, partly, to take your empties. Can easily see how some competitors assume that all course Marshmallows will do the same.

martinhutch

Don’t most events have a rule where, if you’re spotted littering by a marshall, you just get DQed/chucked out like the piece of worthless scum you are?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Sas78 The truth I that I simply care. I care about the environment, care about my local community, care about the wildlife and care about society in general.

Stands up and applauds Sas78, good on you sir! 🙂

I often pick up litter in the street, especially in the jitty next to us for some reason the local youth use it to eat their takeaways from the local chippy, those bloody polystyrene boxes are annoying! I do however draw the line at other peoples dogs mess.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Edit: doubt post, I beat the internet!

philjunior
    Free Member

sas78 – Member
    I too am one of those ordinary blokes picking litter and with a dog too AndyL, and frankly there are not enough of us.

I clear up litter (and other dog’s crap too) almost everywhere I go – I’ve been asked “why?!” numerous times, I’ve been called out as “taking someone’s job” (clearly a moronic comment if ever there was one) and I get strange looks from nearly everyone. You know what though – I don’t care, there’s no need for littering, there’s not enough education about the effects and frankly people just accept it instead of doing something about it.

If I see someone drop litter I challenge them, often to my detriment and my family’s and my embarrassment, but often that simple challenge is enough to change someone’s behaviour and if it isn’t then I don’t care – I’ve tried. I’ll pick it up for them and move on.

An elderly lady once stopped me and asked what I was doing and did I work for the council. I replied no I don’t but I wanted to pick it up to keep the area I live and use nice and I hate pollution that’s completely avoidable. She smiled. I often see her now with a plastic bag (usually one found on the path, like me) picking up litter on the local paths.

Some may see me as some sort of liberal, hand wringing do-gooder, which is far from the truth. The truth I that I simply care. I care about the environment, care about my local community, care about the wildlife and care about society in general.

The end.

I do occasionally pick up the odd bit of litter, should do it more I suppose.

I have once that I can recall challenged someone for littering – a young lad in an Audi on the street I lived stuck in traffic being driven to school by his mum, about 5m from the nearest bin. Door opens, hand puts can under car, door closes. I can’t remember if I opened the door to challenge them or if they opened the window, but the mother’s response was “Why don’t you **** pick it up”.

Needless to say I did and had already decided it was being returned to the interior of their car by the time I realised it was still half full. She didn’t seem too happy, but it made my day, and hopefully made her less likely to litter my street.

Northwind

hairylegs – Member

One day I challenged a women who was hanging a bag of dog pooh on a tree. Her answer was “I thought it would make it easier for the wardens to pick it up” … FFS, the mentality of some people!

I had the exact same line once. Wish I could say I said something witty but I couldn’t think of a damn word.

shortyj15

I did one of the scott marathons last year and on one of the climbs I dropped a gel wrapper. Turned round and picked it up and one of the riders commented how good that was and how he’d seen loads just dropped

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Racing also seems to bring out some sort of entitlement “I paid £40 for this so it’s fine for me to litter, it’s the organiser’s job to wipe my arse for me” Marshalling, I’ve had racers just throw stuff at me as they pass- wherever possible I stop them, chase them down and give it back.

a problem solved by a black and white no littering rule or you get a DQ rule, also included bottles/tubes/kit “dropped to collect later”

we didn’t have a litter problem

andyl
    Free Member

I had the exact same line once. Wish I could say I said something witty but I couldn’t think of a damn word.

The words you want are “pick that back up or I will make you eat it”

Smudger666

I’d dropped my car off in the nearby industrial estate for a service and was walking home. A small van of a very well known gas company based in Scotland was parked up well past the burger van with a pile of chips/burger bag/crisp bag and a paper cup lying outside the drivers door.

It had rained the night before so I knew it was fresh so made a point of stopping a few car lengths past him and taking a photo – fat git waddled over to ask what I was doing – told him I was about to email his transport department and he went white, begged me not to and ran back to clear it all up. Ran back to me an apologised and said he could lose his job if I did that.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he won’t do it gain but Ffs, why do it in the first place.

slackboy

this guy is taking a litter picking a little too far

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02yd4n9

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

McDonald’s shit.

You got that right in one.

I spotted some in a field between Gunnerside & Reeth in Swaledale, will someone please tell me where the nearest McScruffychavDonalds is to Swaledale?

martinhutch

Darlo I expect. Pick up MaccyDs with the young flower of your choice, drive out to the Dales for romance, chuck it out of the window.

I take it all back, there’s one in Catterick Garrison…there’s your answer.

gears_suck
    Free Member

In my experience, confronting people who drop litter is completely pointless and in some cases creates the “defy you” attitude which results in grudge dropping.
    The best thing to do is talk about it and use their indiscretions to feel great about how wonderful we are.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Last three frames of this……..

And the national marathon series here has one such black and white rule. Get spotted dropping litter outside the litter zone (a 20 metre stretch of fenced off trail about 100m after the feed zones) and you’re out, no arguments. Even had one of the winners DQed a couple of years ago. Have a similar rule for the XC racing. Can only drop in designated area (where there are people to collect it) anywhere else and you’ll be pulled off the course at the end of the lap and DQed. They are a bit more lenient in the XC racing though, as the litter quite often gets picked up by spectators. Bit harder with the marathons as there are far more people riding and far less spectators……. but they also have about 20 bins in each feed zone and a skip in the litter zone…….

jwt
    Free Member

I am involved in a local community pumptrack project and was constantly amazed at peoples inability to take home what they brought with them. After finding a dozen or so empty Carlsberg bottles one night I posted on Facebook that if you’re mature enough to drink you’re mature enough to take your empties home, it did seem to help as the littering doesn’t seem as bad. Still see the evidence of a KFC or McMeal strewn down a road side on my way into work, why?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Why? Littering scumbag content!’ is closed to new replies.