• This topic has 56 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Why? Littering scumbag content!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Lovely little wooded coppice thing out in the fields. They manage to carry the stuff up there!

olly2097
    Free Member

Want to see litter?

Go to llandegla.

dknwhy

Someone’s fly tipped a dog too. That’s not on.

jam-bo

Why? Because some people are lazy, inconsiderate oafs.

Did you clear it up or just take a photo of it?

kayak23

Saw a bloke out litter picking in the park other day. Just an ordinary local getting stuck in.
    Respek!

Every day I see the college grounds where I work covered in McDonald’s shit. Humans huh?…. 😐

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Did you clear it up or just take a photo of it?

Left it there and started an online petition.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Do you know when I posted that pic I immediately thought some smart arse will post something along those lines. However I will be back up there at the weekend with a bag to actually put it in. It’s not just at the end of my garden..

allan23
    Free Member

Got annoyed this weekend, bit of the Tour de Yorkshire that’s near home has been full of gangs of roadies.

One gang of MAMILs in full BMC and Team Sky copy kit were lobbing their used gel wrappers into the hedges at the side of the road. Wasn’t one of the usual shop or club rides as they pretty much have their own jerseys these days.

Wanted to stop, pick it up and lob it back at them as I drove past but the other half wouldn’t let me.

People are just inconsiderate twunts, probably the same people that can’t take their takeaway bags home and have to chuck it out of the car window.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As for “degga” is the litter bad there. I was genuinely there two weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years and can’t say I noticed it. We did zip round though with no stopping.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Yep – any litter is bad. But remember, dropping your gel wrappers is the same as throwing an empty MacDonald’s bag out of your car window…I just hope we don’t judge others for things we do ourselves…cycling has a very bad reputation for littering…

DrJ

That’s just how people are. Dirty pigs. Like the scum who eat KFC and throw the wrappers on the tube floor every single day. Hangings too good for ’em.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

must be the same lot that buy chicken from asda and throw the bones out the car window into the other parking bay.. Funny when they look at each other an realise they havent got wipes for their greasy hands.. got to love the inhabitants of Leyton

Onzadog
    Free Member

PMK2060

Gel wrappers boil my piss. I use the trans pennine trail to commute to work and the number of wrappers i see is increasing.

andyl
    Free Member

Saw a bloke out litter picking in the park other day. Just an ordinary local getting stuck in.

Every day I come back with a bag of litter from the hills round here. Admittedly we are in a very clean area by comparison to most but I walk mainly on NT grazing land or footpaths through local farmers fields so there is the added reason for protecting the livestock as well as wildlife and being highly irritated by litter anyway.

One of the advantage of walking the dog is I have poop bags (biodegradable ones) in my pocket to pick up litter and I can them empty them when I get back (sorting the recycling) and re-use the bags for their intended purpose. Plastic sandwich bags, cereal bar wrappers seem to be the worst from walkers and then the usual cider cans that have been thrown into a campfire (on dry grazing land on a windy hillside 🙄 ) are another favourite litter of the local “yoof”.

It’s just become second nature now and I don’t really think anything of it. I was up on cheddar gorge a few weeks ago with mum when she came down to visit and she was surprised I was just walking along and I will spot a bit of litter and head over scoop it up and carry on and then put it in the provided bins about 100m back down the path to the car park when heading back.

Large fly tipping really gets my goat though so I generally report this with a photo on “fix my street” and the local councils (on the boundary of 3) seem pretty responsive in clearing it up. I just don’t understand the mentality of people who dump stuff by the side of the road.

ads678

Littering is just plain lazy.
    Fly tipping is either laziness or someone refusing to pay the fees for their commercial waste.
    Some stuff on the radio about it the other day and the amount of people blaming the council and government because of fees or 2 weekly bin collections was unbelievable.
    I wouldn’t dream of dropping litter, throwing gel wrappers or fly tipping but some people are just plain lazy scum who have no self respect.
    I did feel bad about not picking someone else litter in Dalby the other week but i didn’t really want it in my pockets.

senorj

It boils my urine.
    I usually end up bringing someone else’s litter back from rides etc.

“Saw a bloke out litter picking in the park other day. Just an ordinary local getting stuck in”

I always thank the few folk I see doing that.

smashit
    Free Member

Did an event at the weekend (Hamsterley Beast). I finished 49th and probably picked up 6 gel wrappers dropped by riders in front and saw perhaps another 4-5. That seems a fairly high rate of accidental droppage. Given they were mostly the same brand I suspect it was one idiot dropping most of them.

I’d hate to see the course after the other 250 riders went round 🙁

sas78

I too am one of those ordinary blokes picking litter and with a dog too AndyL, and frankly there are not enough of us.

I clear up litter (and other dog’s crap too) almost everywhere I go – I’ve been asked “why?!” numerous times, I’ve been called out as “taking someone’s job” (clearly a moronic comment if ever there was one) and I get strange looks from nearly everyone. You know what though – I don’t care, there’s no need for littering, there’s not enough education about the effects and frankly people just accept it instead of doing something about it.

If I see someone drop litter I challenge them, often to my detriment and my family’s and my embarrassment, but often that simple challenge is enough to change someone’s behaviour and if it isn’t then I don’t care – I’ve tried. I’ll pick it up for them and move on.

An elderly lady once stopped me and asked what I was doing and did I work for the council. I replied no I don’t but I wanted to pick it up to keep the area I live and use nice and I hate pollution that’s completely avoidable. She smiled. I often see her now with a plastic bag (usually one found on the path, like me) picking up litter on the local paths.

Some may see me as some sort of liberal, hand wringing do-gooder, which is far from the truth. The truth I that I simply care. I care about the environment, care about my local community, care about the wildlife and care about society in general.

The end. 🙂

13thfloormonk

Litter picking becomes a bit compulsive, I’ve twice been up Glen Nevis recently litter picking and ended up halfway down steep gravelly slopes just trying to bag that one tantalisingly close red bull can or beer bottle.

I try to alleviate the frustration by thinking that maybe the litter droppers are just visiting the countryside for the first time and will gradually grow to appreciate it enough to stop trashing it up.

Alternatively, maybe they’re just kids.

At the end of the day the onus seems to be on those of us who actually care to pick it up, there’s a school of thought that says people are more likely to litter an area which is already littered, rather than littering an area which is pristine.

Coyote
    Free Member

One gang of MAMILs in full BMC and Team Sky copy kit were lobbing their used gel wrappers into the hedges at the side of the road.

probably picked up 6 gel wrappers dropped by riders in front and saw perhaps another 4-5. That seems a fairly high rate of accidental droppage.

This has been dicussed on here a few times and occasionally you would get some prick trying to justify it. There is NO justification. Carry it in, carry it out. End of.

willard

I’ve been told that fly tipping in Ireland is a huge problem, mainly because you have to pay to get rubbish taken away. Yes, I know that we do as well, but it’s hidden away in the council tax and effectively free.

The last couple of times I have been over there I have been stunned at some of the tipping that is done in the countryside, but it’s no worse than in some places in the UK. I guess there are filthy bastards all over the place.

thenorthwind

Boils my piss too.

A lot of it I just don’t understand. Not as in “I don’t understand why you’d do that if you’ve considered whether it’s right” but “I don’t understand why you’d do that because it’s not the easiest thing to do, unless you want to go out of your way to destroy the environment.”

Case in point: the number of times I’ve seen a McDonalds wrapper somewhere where I know the nearest McDonalds must be at least an hour’s drive. Why here? Have you driven here specifically to throw your litter out the car? Or did you wait til you were clear of town to avoid sullying it and then threw it into a a useless hedge?

I had a McDonalds milkshake on the way home from a ride on Sunday (must have been the first time I’ve set foot in a McDonalds in 5 years). I can’t see how it would have been easier to throw the cup out of the window than put it in the bin on my drive when I got home.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

That’s not fly tipping.

THIS

is fly tipping.

neilthewheel

At least fly tipping is fairly contained and relatively easy to deal with. The idiots who do it often leave useful clues as to their identities. It’s the quantity of casually discarded rubbish that really depresses me – all along the verges, the nearer you get to a local village the worse it is, and at sliproads and roundabouts on main roads. Just grim.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bloke walking up Ben Nevis with kids in tow stops for a picnic about halfway up the first climb bit (just before the stream/bridge).

“Now we have to hide the bag carefully”.

Nearly punched him. The OH was with me and she knows how almost irrationally angry I get at littering!

Instead I did the very British thing, tutted loudly, went back to pick it up, put it in my backpack and carried it to the top and back down again.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

That’s not fly tipping.
    THIS

is fly tipping.

That’s a pitiful sentence for someone who was paid £280000.

Northwind

We stopped at one of the shelters at glentress last weekend and pulled a dozen or so gel wrappers out from inbetween the planks where they’d been jammed. It surely takes more effort to fold up your wrapper and squeeze it between the planks, than it does to put them in your bag or pocket. That sort of thing winds me up no end.

Racing also seems to bring out some sort of entitlement “I paid £40 for this so it’s fine for me to litter, it’s the organiser’s job to wipe my arse for me” Marshalling, I’ve had racers just throw stuff at me as they pass- wherever possible I stop them, chase them down and give it back.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That’s a pitiful sentence for someone who was paid £280000.

I wondered why the sentence was so lenient.

irc

It’s about culture. I recently spent 3 days in Guernsey. Not only did I not see any litter or graffiti every time we got anywhere near the kerb the traffic just stopped. The cars stopping reminded me of small town USA where drivers are similarly courteous to pedestrians.

Around my local area the litter situation is pretty good. I only see it on the routes to the local secondary school and the council empty the bins regularly and there are a few locals who pick up what little litter there is.

How you change a culture where throwing litter out your car or on the ground while walking is normal? No idea.

Mister-P
    Free Member

This is the park near my office. I know that grass was cut at the beginning of the week so all those bottles have been left in one or two nights. It looks like some kind of athletics club has used the field then simply left all their bottles behind. There’s proper sports bottles in there as well, not only plastic drinks bottles. Absolutely disgusting. I’ve sent it to MK council to show them the issue.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

It’s way worse in the south..I reckon it’s a southerner thing… 😀

khani
    Free Member

Went out with the dogs today and some knob has dumped a double mattress about a mile down a narrow path between the fields, no way a vehicle can fit down there as its too narrow with a few footbridges along the way..
    The mind boggles! 😯

leftyboy
    Free Member

We had 2 people fly tip in the village recently, our parish clerk (who is a determined soul) sorted through it and found a letter with a name, address and phone number in one pile and a credit card statement with a name and address with a mobile number scrawled on it in the other.

Both people have been contacted and asked to collect their ‘belongings’ and issued with official paperwork to start the process of fining them. A builder who kept flytipping on the Monarch’s Way in Shawford (near Winchester) ended up being secretly filmed by HCC and has also been prosecuted but sadly this is only 3 cases of around 100 or so we’ve seen in the last 12 months.

And don’t get me started on the persistent dog fouling and hanging dog sh*t in hedges!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

How you change a culture where throwing litter out your car or on the ground while walking is normal?

When I was there a long time ago Singapore seemed to have the answer. A litter bin on every lamp-post, and a 100-dollar fine for littering. And, presumably, enough cops to make it work.

fettlin

local fly tipping in worcestershire seems to be pickeys doing cash in hand jobs for learing rubbish or cutting down hedges (mostly conifer 🙄

they just nip round at night and block up a roadway by tipping in the middle of the road, even too lazy to find a gateway.

several instances if people driving to work early doors (dark/early light) and hitting tree stumps/piles of wood/a sofa in the road.

Scapegoat

There is a sixth form college and a secondary school within a few hundred metres of a small shopping centre, Salendine Nook, Huddersfield. Every lunchtime pupils and students make their way to the shopping centre, buy lunch and then walk back to the two centres of education. A few years ago there was a local outcry at the levels of litter dropped along this well trodden route. What was the solution to this antisocial phenomenon? Staff stationed along the route to remind pupils to do their bit to help with the state of the area and the schools’ reputations? Assemblies targeting the issue and encouraging good citizenship? Perhaps the retired police officer who was employed as a behavioural and inclusion coordinator could do something with the miscreants? No.

They paid for someone to follow them and clean up after them. Piss boiled? You bet.

Jenko
    Free Member

I did an uplift at OneGiantLeap (Llangollen) last weekend and saw a rider throw his empty ice cream tub out of the uplift trailer. Talk about shi88ing on your own doorstep! Martin (the farmer who runs the uplifts) has enough trouble with local residents and then this sh!thead goes and makes things worse by purposefully throwing litter onto the lane. He actually looked pleased with himself!!

I just wish I’d had the bottle to confront him, but there was one of me and several of him and his mates. If I see him again, I might just remind him what a knob he is.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t get it – it really annoys me. if you’ve carried some form of drink / food with you, taking the packaging home should be a piece of cake as it all weighs less!

I was sat at a roundabout the other week and the rear window of a Passatt went down and the young lad in the back lobbed out his rubbish. His mum and dad were sat in the front and didn’t seem fussed. Nice.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Fly tipping and littering in general really gets up my nose, but worse that that is the doggers of Forrest Fawr, there are a few clearings in the centre of the wood I’ve passed through looking for new trails, a circular mess of used condoms and tissues with a pile of them at it’s centre – it sort of looks like the Army made a controlled explousion of a suspect package and the package was stuffed full of second-hand jonnies.

No I didn’t pick it up, I rode a carefully as I ever had to avoid having to put a foot down. Dirty ****.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Why? Littering scumbag content!’ is closed to new replies.