Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 193 total)
  • Why isnt my bike selling ????
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Go away and have a think about this quote…

it just doesn’t make sense to sell.

You don’t want the bike and you’re not going to ride it. So how can it possibly make sense not to sell?

renton
    Free Member

So you all reckon a 2010 boutique bike is worth less than some older run of the mill specialized bikes ?

renton
    Free Member

Chakaping I want to sell it for what I think is a fair price.

A lot of folk on here are saying it’s worth around the same as older run of the mill bikes ?

How does that work ?

julians
    Free Member

If its worth less than you are prepared to sell it for ,which it looks like it is, then you may as well just keep it as a spare bike.

I’ve still got my old 2005 specialized enduro partly for this reason (and partly because I just like it) , I still use it every now and again when something on my usual bike is broken, and it always surprises me how good it still feels even 10 years after it was bought.

Whats a 2005 spesh enduro worth ? £300-£500 depending on spec? not worth selling it for that, so I just keep it.

I keep expecting to get on it after a year of riding new geometry,new suspension tech, new brake tech and find it feels old, sketchy, nervous ,slow etc, but it doesnt, it still feels ok, not quite as good as the latest and greatest, but perfectly ok. I’m sure at some point new tech will have moved on a long way and it will feel really old in comparison, but for now its fine for me as a spare bike.

as I mentioned earlier, I sold my Ibis mojo HD frame, ccdb air shock, and marz 55 rc3 ti forks , but kept the carbon wheels, and these now live on the old enduro, its slowly being upgraded, as I upgrade parts on my main bike, the parts they replaced will move down onto the enduro. And the parts off the enduro will be sold or binned.

jamj1974

renton – Member
    So basically You are saying it’s worth the same as some older spesh

Yep, that’s what they are saying. I feel for you Renton, but the bike is worth only what someone will pay.

Bregante

Renton – my opinion why it’s not selling

It’s an XL with “small” wheels
    You had it powder coated a non standard colour
    It’s got outdated geometry
    It’s got a 1 1/8 headtube

All of those things will make it harder to sell.

For what it’s worth I sold my Large 2010 Nicolai Helius frame- arguably a more “boutique” frame than a Turner but it counts for nothing (1 1/8 headtube – ano black) a year ago for £400 and things have moved away from 26″ considerably since then.

Stick it on eBay with a low reserve and see how it goes. You may just be surprised. I reckon you’ll get around £700.

If it were me I’d get a cheap commuter and keep hold of it for the odd occasion when you do ride off road. A new bike won’t necessarily make you ride more.

chakaping
    Free Member

You didn’t think about it long enough!

If you won’t eBay it, put it on Pinkbike and lower the price by £50 each week until it goes.

Maybe we can run a sweepstake on what it’ll sell for? I’ll go for £800 including postage.

renton
    Free Member

I’m buying a whyte 629 off of a lad on here.

I reckon I may just swap all the newer slx stuff and the apparently not bling enough Easton finishing kit onto it and rebuild the five spot with the x5 and x7 stuff off the whyte.

Then either sell it cheaper or keep it as a spare for when I get my riding mojo back.

renton
    Free Member

Do you think getting rid of the colour would help it sell ?

lunge

Chakaping I want to sell it for what I think is a fair price.

A lot of folk on here are saying it’s worth around the same as older run of the mill bikes ?
    Renton, come on, it’s not worth what you think it is, if it was you’d have sold it by now, sadly it’s that simple. You now have a simple decision, sell it for what “the market” thinks it is worth or keep it.

scotroutes

Options.
    (a) we are all giving an honest answer.

(b) we are all lying just for a laugh

(c) we are all really after a XL 26″ older bike and are hoping to get a bargain when you reduce the price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

renton – Member
    So basically You are saying it’s worth the same as some older spesh

What is being said is that nobody wants to pay what you are asking, Specialized is one of the most recognisable names in the trade, will always come up on the ebay searches. They also don’t look to be XL bikes – this is the other issue you are pitching to a much smaller market. By the looks of that ebay will give you a better return than here so you should stick it on there.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This thread is hilarious. Never have I seen one person so determined to deny all the evidence in front of him and miss the point entirely on half the comments.

Classic case of ‘I disagree so I must defend’.

All you’re doing is damaging the eventual resale of the bike by keeping the price high and stringing it out so that its perceived as even more outdated than it is now.

Xylene
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1fUzkqwbQ[/video]

Yeah Angry Ram

Euro
    Free Member

I am genuinely baffled as to why my 5 spot isn’t selling.

Ask yourself this question…

Would you buy it for the asking price?

If the answer is yes then you should keep it. 😛

batman11
    Free Member

I’d leave the colour more good money after bad etc.
    also the eBay links you place’d are for complete bikes so they might command a higher value, if your a newish biker and are looking to move to a full sus spesh is a known brand! As apposed to boutique brands like turner.
    I think you must realise some where in your head it’s time to cut your losses and out it at what eve the price now
    Just put it up for £300 posted and see what happens.

renton
    Free Member

Batman11

I’ve got mine advertised at 900 posted ono for the complete bike as it is ??

Do you still think that is too high?

deviant
    Free Member

That 2008 Enduro still looks modern and probably has fairly slack angles compared to your Turner, even the older Spesh Enduros were ahead of their time geometry wise.

It’s that kind of thing that sells these days, not how boutique a brand is…the emergence of YT, Canyon, Solid, Rose etc has opened a lot of people’s eyes as to how much (new) bike you can get these days for less than 2k, viewed like that who’d want a 5 yr old bike for 1k?!

I looked at a (new) Turner frame last year when buying something full-sus to build up with the forks and wheels I had laying around, even their new models seem expensive and outdated compared to the mass produced stuff around at the moment, they may well be boutique but they appear to have gone off the boil and don’t seem fashionable at the moment…that counts for a lot when you want 1k from someone for a product half a decade old!

Things (sadly) seem to move as quickly in MTBing as the mobile phone world, this years hot product is obsolete in 12 months time, best advice I can give anybody on this forum is to buy a frame with as many interchangeable standards as possible….get a 44mm or tapered headtube to future proof against fork steelers, get a frame that can swap to a 142×12 rear axle, look for as much clearance as possible (sadly ‘+’ size tyres are coming), if you’re planning on keeping a frame for any length of time it needs to be able to take an Angleset to keep up with changing geometry etc etc.

Rant over….also buy 27.5 or 29 inch wheels, people just aren’t buying expensive 26 inch stuff currently…which is a shame as my hardtail is 26 and rides as well as ever, I’ve had it at BPW, FoD, Cwmcarn, QECP, Rogate and all over the Surrey Hills this winter and all I’ve needed to do is change tyres depending on where I’ve been riding…and as a bonus 26 inch tyres are cheap!

I’d keep the Turner, there are now Anglesets for 1 1/8 steerer tubes, they only slacken by 1 degree but it’s better than nothing, have the forks and shock serviced, buy some wide 26 inch rims (which are also cheap ATM), fit beefy tyres and enjoy the new lease of life your bike will have…then when you feel you’ve got all you can out of it sell it in a year or twos time and accept that £500 is probably what you’ll get but you’ll have had the bike for 7 years by then and had a blast, think of what you get for a second hand bike as merely the deposit for the next one and you’ll never be too disappointed.

renton
    Free Member

Deviant…. Can’t get much bigger than the 2.4 that are fitted to it already.

It sort of makes sense to view it like as the deposit on a new bike in a couple of years time.

Pesky bike industry moving the goalposts all the time to eek out as much money out of punters as possible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    Hob-Nob
    Free Member

So you all reckon a 2010 boutique bike is worth less than some older run of the mill specialized bikes ?

Yes. Get the hint, as many people have told you on here.

Lots of people who buy Specialized have never heard of Turner. Plus it’s an XL. Always a slow size to sell.

If it was worth what you want for it, it would have sold. It’s not, so it hasn’t.

And without trying to sound too harsh, Turner’s look like sh*t – i’ve seen less than 12 month old Burners with much higher spec’s struggle to sell for £500 more than you want for yours.

They arn’t a popular bike, at all.

As others have said, 99p start on Ebay & you’ll see what it’s really worth, not what you want it to be worth.

angeldust
    Free Member

Renton, you are being incredibly naive, much like you demonstrate with your various car buying threads :roll:.

Don’t spend any more money changing the bike to try and get it to sell – it won’t help.

However…the price the ‘bike experts’ tell you it is worth on STW, will be much lower than what you might get from a non-expert on ebay if you are patient and advertise it right. I’ve sold a few old bikes on ebay with reserve prices (£750-1000) that would be deemed ridiculous on here, always to non-bike experts (either new to the sport, or getting back into it). All have been happy with their purchase, so it’s not like they have been fleeced. I’ve often had to be patient, re-list them a few times, and decline low offers. As others have mentioned, it’s not the best time of year to be trying to find that type of buyer.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve got mine advertised at 900 posted ono for the complete bike as it is ??

Do you still think that is too high?

Oh FFS!
    Everyone thinks it’s too high except you, but what does it matter what we think…

deviant
    Free Member

As Angeldust said, sometimes you can get lucky.

I sold a Spesh Allez road bike (£600 new) for £450 twelve months later!…the buyer didn’t know bikes, he just knew he liked it and it was smart looking to be fair, all coordinated blue and white throughout, people on here would’ve hated it but the young lad loved it and uses it as his flashy London commuter.

Drop the price slightly and stubbornly keep relisting it, you may get lucky?

chakaping
    Free Member

Your eBay listing suggests you turned down an offer of £900.

So you’ve already found the (quite reasonable) value that your bike will sell for.

Mods can we change the thread title to “why won’t I sell my bike?” please?

kudos100
    Free Member

OP in 50 years.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why isn’t it selling? Have you ever ridden one? Then there’s your answer.

I slagged off the 1/ 1/8 headtube one on here and was flamed for it. Awkward old school set of angles etc.

I’ve ridden one – nothing wrong with the angles – must be your riding style/skill level. There’s several people on here with dw-link fluxes that have ridden them all over the place and I have never seen a compliant about head angles there, and that is steeper than the 2010 5 spot.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

People have heard of specialized because they have a big marketing budget.

The bike is worth more to someone who knows Turners as they know how good and solid their bushings are – which is reassuring for buying a second hand bike.

batman11
    Free Member

Realistically £900 I’d say no! but then where still back to what is a 5 year old frame and geometry to XC by today’s standards. Long,low and slack is the order today. Not tall,steep and short which your frame is.
    Keep the gears and brakes and just out the frame forks and wheels cheep.
    I’m the same as you always have XL frames and have always had to suck it up and sell them cheeper than I want to!!
    But I’m realistic I realise that being tall in the bike world is always against me when reselling.
    Out it,out it, out it just get some cash back in the bike fund bank.
    Sorry to be so blunt Renton I do feel for you.

chestrockwell

This is a funny thread.

Put it on ebay at 99p start with a reserve set at the least you’ll accept. Then you’ll get your answer.

noltae
    Free Member

Bikes are an investment into one’s fun – If you need to justify them pertaining to their deprication either buy super rare collectables that may hold relative value or make do with cheaper ones – Replace with second-hand will also offset losses incurred ..

deviant
    Free Member

That one is lovely, still too much money though….you can buy the new Alu Capra for the same price….I reckon you’ll need to go to less than £1500.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bloody hell, hope he adjusts his expectations a bit easier.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Then you’ll get your answer.

But he won’t. He’ll set the reserve too high.

noltae
    Free Member

Case in point – my buddy has a sweet spec Privee Shan literally sat gathering dust – he wants to sell but doesn’t think he’ll get what he wants for it – shame really as a bike that nice you’d be enjoyed by somebody ..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Lots of old but good turners on here :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6324864853/

that one above is also going to have problems selling as it is a medium – Turner messed up the sizing I reckon on those dw-link versions – up to 5.8 or 5.9 maybe but 5.10 is a large, even Dave Turner recommended large for someone of 5.10.

Rentons is a 2010 as well, and 2010 frames were being sold off cheap by CRC as I remember, which I think started the low 2nd hand values for bikes of that age.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the kind words.

Realisation is starting to kick in that it probably is worth more to me than what it really is worth.

Just sucks a bit which most people must understand.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘Why isnt my bike selling ????’ is closed to new replies.