Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 193 total)
  • Why isnt my bike selling ????
  • renton
    Free Member

It maybe a 2010 design frame but it was bought new in 2012.

In fact only the frame, fork and wheels are from 2012 the rest is less than 6 months old.

What am I looking at then realistically for the frame and forks package.

Same again for the full bike ?

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s not a good time of year to be selling a (relatively) expensive toy, motorcycles don’t sell well at this time of year either for example, and it’s generally seen as a time to pick up a bargain. Two main factors are

a) crap weather so not really much scope to use the new toy you’ve just bought yourself so not much incentive to spend on yourself at the minute- people generally want to be able to use their purchases as soon as they get them.

b) Christmas bills. Those that do christmas will still be reeling from having overspent in the run up to the ‘big day’ in an effort to make it the best one ever in the entire history of christmasses. They will have been skint two months before christmas and will be skint until the end of February as they pay off credit cards.

You may end up getting a little more for it when the weather warms up and people start looking for a new-to-them bike, split it and maybe make back what you want over time or just sell up in one go, take the hit and be done with it. Bit of a rubbish choice I’m afraid.

lunge

Renton, no easy way of saying this but if you ask a question you need to listen to the answer. It’s a 2010 frame, when you bought it is irrelevant, it’s a 2010 frame.

£600 for the bike is realistic, £650 at a push.
    Frame and fork? £400 I reckon, maybe a touch more.

Now, I know this isn’t what you want to hear but, IMO, this is a realistic price that will actually sell the bike.

Rockplough
    Free Member

In fact, the lack of label makes it a pointless graph.

You’re a pointless graph!

*flounces off*

wwaswas

More flounce than a turkey on a trampoline 🙂

mekkenolly
    Free Member

If you need any advice on guerrilla marketing, feel free to message me

mattbee

It doesn’t matter when you bought the frame, it’s still an old model. You could have bought it new from a shop yesterday but it’s still the same slightly out of date by current standards frame.
    The XL tag may put people off too, maybe try listing it using the c-c seat tube size instead? XL implies 5 bar gate, when it probably isn’t that big based on the size of the 5 Spot I used to own.
    It’s still too expensive though. My Transition Bandit frame, in a popular size, with ‘on trend’ geometry, head tube etc and factory paint job only sold for £400 last month, because it’s got 26″ wheels, and because at the end of the day no matter what it cost new it’s still a second hand frame that’s a few years old.

wwaswas

Yep, if you want to sell an armed revolutionary then mekkonolly is your person.

renton
    Free Member

Someone got a link to the one on pink bike for 900 quid

ken_shields
    Free Member

XL’s will only sell to XL people and there aren’t that many of us about so limited market

It’s a 2010 frame regardless of when you bought it

The parts on the bike are a bit low end for the frame a mix of slx and deore doesn’t cut it on an almost £1000 SH bike and the bits you’ve left on the frame and fork are no incentive to buy it

Not worth as much as you think

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Didn’t you get offered over a grand for it the other day?

iolo
    Free Member

Sorry to be harsh but the reason it’s not selling is nobody wants it.
    Just keep it as a spare.

renton
    Free Member

Chunkmonkey I did but then the chaps car broke so had to pull out.

Iolo you may be right. I’m buying a whtye 629 so will transfer the slx stuff into that and keep this as a spare.

singlesteed
    Free Member

What and you took that blokes reason for the truth!?

But can’t accept our reasons for why it isn’t selling!

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Sods Law mate 🙄

chiefgrooveguru

It’s an XL and a 26″ – that’s probably the biggest issue. Second biggest is the 1″1/8 head tube. Third is the time of year. And it has a 21″ seat tube so too tall for most riders with a dropper and the reach is shorter than that of my medium Spitfire.

If I were you I’d ride it until it dies or write it off as one of those bad buys…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I can’t see the point in keeping it as a spare, you’ll never use it again anyway.

Bes thing to do is split it down and sell all the bits individually, although it is pretty time consuming. I did this with my old 26″ mtb last year and sold everything without too much bother.

Or you could donate it to this lot http://www.re-cycle.org/ and bank the karma points

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Or, just keep it and ride it? What’s wrong with it exactly (apart from the fact it’s out of date)? Why are you unable to ride it?

renton
    Free Member

David. I’m not getting out and riding as much any more and its a bit of overkill for the 5 mile each way ride to work.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t even be bothered to search for a Groundhog Day gif.

FFS man.

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

julians
    Free Member

Its too expensive, that’s the answer to any ‘why isn’t it selling’ question.

I recently sold an ibis mojo hd frame of similar vintage and cane creek shock for £700 on eBay, was hoping for more , but would rather have the cash than the frame sat in my garage

renton
    Free Member

Julians… I only want a couple hundred more for a full bike.

Just out of interest if I was to change the gears and finishing kit to something a bit cheaper would it make much difference to the price you think I can get ?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What’s the betting you’ll be asking the same question in 6 months time..?
    The first time you asked,quite a few reckoned it was well worth your asking price (no-one actually wanted to buy it though…)
    Now it’s 100% saying it’s too expensive.
    Do you want to sell or not?

renton
    Free Member

Suburbanreuben.

I do want to sell it and like you can’t understand how one minute it’s worth my asking price (which was more than I am after now) and then all of a sudden the same forum is telling me it’s worth nowt ?

julians
    Free Member

Just out of interest if I was to change the gears and finishing kit to something a bit cheaper would it make much difference to the price you think I can get ?

Probably not worth the hassle of doing it.

EBay with no reserve will give you the truth as to what its worth. Get it up there and move it on.

batman11
    Free Member

Yep same as everyone else it’s old tec/geometry by today’s bikes standards, I almost bought an xl 5spot that was 2012 new geo tapered head tube etc for what you want for your frame around 8 months ago, but I’d just got a good deal on a orange 5 which had a slightly longer TT.
    If it was me frame £300 frame fork £450 just to get some cash back.
    Good luck buddy.

chiefgrooveguru

Have you added up how many hours you’ve spent trying to get a price no-one is willing to pay? Is your time worth that little to you?!

If someone on STW was willing to pay what you wanted, it would have sold – we’ve been reading these threads for the best part of the year, it’s the best advertised bike of 2014 bar the new Nomad!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Suburbanreuben.

I do want to sell it and like you can’t understand how one minute it’s worth my asking price (which was more than I am after now) and then all of a sudden the same forum is telling me it’s worth nowt ?
    But the people telling you it was worth £X weren’t actually interested in buying it. They were offering their opinion but they were wrong. They, like you, hadn’t cottoned on to the fact the market has changed.
    Why are you selling? To buy a 29er? 650b?
    Exactly. You’re not the only one.
    The longer you leave it the less it will be worth.

Back then, I nearly offered you £350 for the frame but I was accused of being a scuzzy low-baller. Offer the frame for that now and I doubt you’d get any takers.
    I reckon you’ll get:
    Frame £300
    Forks £150
    Wheels £100
    The rest £50

This is the opinion of someone who has bought loads of bikes second hand, sold them on if I didn’t like them, but had fun playing the field. I’ve never made a penny on any of them, often losing quite a bit, so my valuation is probably optimistic!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Frame at 300 or maybe 350 is probably right – a large newer geometry 5 spot frame went a while ago for something like 650 whereas they used to go for over a grand.

It’s an XL but that is really more like a L for those bikes…

I have a M 2009 Flux frame and a L 2012 Flux frame that are really not going to be worth a lot, but they both ride sweet and there is really little point is changing to 650B – I have tried the 650B Flux and my L 2012 is just too similar.

Just keep it and spend the money you would lose getting another bike on some Jedi tuition or similar. All those people with newer, flashier bikes will be feeling less good as you tear past them with your new skills.

There’s nothing wrong with its geometry – there’s plenty of youtube videos from homers hucking steep, rocky trails in the states on them, and I the first time I ever saw anyone complain about it was when I saw Hora’s comments (you know – the guy who had a picture posted recently of him walking the end of BKB…)

Xylene
    Free Member

You require a goat for the sale to go through

rone

Plenty of sounds reasons on here.

I think you’ve got to remove the idea of what you think its worth. There are plenty of new options for around 1k that look way more appealing (snazzy paint, latest wheels etc.) You can’t compete with that on an old boutique brand.

I’ve owned several Turners and always sold them at good prices *after* a year. But the five spot does struggle now price wise; we’ve sold two at the local shop and they both had to bottom out at between 5-600, and both were good spec and good bikes.

Given it’s not made any more tells you it’s worth to Turner too.

Move all your gear along quickly and you will retain some money when you sell it. Hang on to it for more than two years and you will drop off the bottom. Even at a year old I think 50% is very likely.

Not particularly aiming this at renton, but I think it’s an emotional shortcoming to hang on to products because of what we think about them. I learned ages ago that it doesn’t help in your ‘consumer’ progress. The world is a cheap -ass place and prices for stuff are forced downward from new so why not accept you can’t have it at both ends and move something on of yours to help someone else get a good deal?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The reason, you can’t find someone who a) wants it and b)agrees with your valuation.
    +1 for what rone said

My bikes are objects that deprecate, what I have done on them adds nothing to the value.

It’s not going to increase in value in your garage, it’s not getting much use so just get rid for what you can. If anything strip it and keep the running gear for spares and get shot of the frame.

TubsRacing
    Free Member

I don’t disagree with any of the above but also no matter how good nick its in buyers are going to see it as a an old bike that is a potential liability and need shock, pivots, forks etc servicing or replacing. unfortunatley that trumps how you see it as an asset worth a nominal figure you’ve arbitrarily (is that right spelling?) awarded it. If you’ve got the room keep it and enjoy it when you can- you don’t need to spend much on a hackfor a 5 mile commute. ( might even get an old 26″ rigid cheap!)

emac65
    Free Member

As I’m the market for a new bike or frame/fork I did look at your bike.Before I even looked at the price,this is what I thought;
    It’s too old,2010 is the year it was made
    I wasn’t keen on the frame colour
    The wheels – hubs are OK,but I prefer Stans rims these days.Being wider I think tyres sit on them better.
    I only like black forks
    & finally,finishing kit is a bit low end IMO..

That’s just my opinion & I’m sure it’s a great bike, it’s just not the one I wanted.

FWIW,I’ve got a mix of 10 bikes ‘n frames in the garage cos I’m not prepared to take a huge hit on the price I paid for them & what people will actually pay for them. I’d rather have them gathering dust & just used occasionally than do that TBH

neiloxford
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Why isn’t it selling? Have you ever ridden one? Then there’s your answer.

I slagged off the 1/ 1/8 headtube one on here and was flamed for it. Awkward old school set of angles etc. The next one (bigger headtube) was a totally different beast.

davosaurusrex

Found it a bit tricky to push?

hora
    Free Member

Into a canal where the other old pig bikes rest?

chakaping
    Free Member

Everytime you start a thread like this there will be 10 less people interested in buying it – because they’ll read all the reasons why it’s not selling and think something like “hmm, maybe I should try big wheels instead of an XL 26er”.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘Why isnt my bike selling ????’ is closed to new replies.