• This topic has 49 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Why isn't my bike selling?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

After a bit of advice please.

Trying to sell my road bike.

Gt GTR elite, with full SRAM red groupset, zipp hubs on cole rims, and zipp service course finishing except for stem which is Synchros. I paid £1700 less than a year ago, it would have cost around £3500 to build and I’m trying to sell it for £900.

But it won’t sell. Tried on other forums and on the bay and no luck. Any advice?

Ash

njee20
    Free Member

Unpopular/unknown brand on the road side, sounds small, not helped by the fact you’re saying it’s too small and you’ve got the stem pointing to the sky, wheels are unusual.

Pet peeve as well: “sale does not actually include half the items in the photo”. Take them off then!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Minor point but mech pretty scratched too. Otherwise what he said – and I don’t think there are THAT many high end road buyers on stw,

Fueled
    Free Member

Your ad states that you want £1700 for it. If I had a budget of only £900 then I wouldn’t bother getting in touch for fear of wasting your time and mine.

Also, you should not expect upgrades to add much at all to the value of an already decent bike.

Drac

It’s 2 months since you last advertised it on here and for £1700 not £900 .

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah you’re not trying to sell it at £900 on this forum are you.

bearnecessities

Your piccies are a bit guff!

By all means show the imperfections, but also stick it on a nice patch of grass on a sunny day.

Maybe hire some (short) women in hot pants to stand around it, acting aroused.

Drac

Or nice Filly in Lycra.

Jamie
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Drac

Has he asked on BikeRadar I can’t see as it wants me to sign up.

MrSmith
    Free Member

the bike isn’t desirable, people don’t buy GT road bikes because they have always lusted after and wanted one.
    the wheels are a miss-match, alex rims on an expensive bike? the group set looks tatty, it’s small, it’s overpriced and most would probably pay £100 more for a brand new rubble/planet-x.

when you break it down neither the frame, wheels or group set are helping the bike sell for what you want.
    split it and chuck it on ebay. you might find you get more than you want with individual items like the zipp bars, post and that silly stem that don’t really help the bike as most people will change them anyway

bails

The flickr link on BR goes to a close up photo of the stem:
    Then a close up of a damaged logo on a seatpost.
    Then a close up of a scratched mech.
    Then an out of focus close up of a brake/shift lever….

Get some photos out in bright, natural light. Put them all in a separate album, otherwise you’ll end up with people stumbling upon family photos, photos of other bikes etc.

Show both sides of the frame. Do close ups on expensive bits.

And put a sensible stem on it. A stem like that Syncros one would make me think the owner didn’t know what they were doing. So have they been WD40ing the brakes, and putting 3-in-1 on the chain?

njee20
    Free Member

I think it’s a prime candidate for splitting. The Red will get decent money, the finishing kit probably will too.

The fact it’s only £100 cheaper than a full 11-speed Ultegra Planet X does you no favours.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

No I’m not trying to sell it on here. Can’t ask what’s it worth questions on bike radar.

Cheers for all the responses. Much appreciated. Filly in Lycra is good! Would help if there was some natural light around here.

£1700 was the origin price I put it up for. However as it didn’t sell I became more aware of the fact is have to reduce it. I was thinking of splitting, but the groupset is a 2011 so not going to get too much for that, as stated wheels are odd, good hubs on crap rims and a frame that isn’t sought after, so figured if I split I wouldn’t get that much for the parts!

In a bit of a bind really!

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t ask what’s it worth questions on bike radar.

They do love their rules, but some of them have a good rationale.

£1700 was the origin price I put it up for. However as it didn’t sell I became more aware of the fact is have to reduce it. I was thinking of splitting, but the groupset is a 2011 so not going to get too much for that, as stated wheels are odd, good hubs on crap rims and a frame that isn’t sought after, so figured if I split I wouldn’t get that much for the parts!

You would probably be doing ok if you got £750 for it as a complete bike.

As mentioned above, there are several things going against you getting top dollar. To focus on one I had recent experience with, the bike being a small will reduce your market significantly. I was just selling a 2014 CX bike which is sold out, but hardly got any bites, most of what I did get was people bemoaning it was a small. I guess there are less of us shortarses out there than I thought 8)

Drac

No I’m not trying to sell it on here. Can’t ask what’s it worth questions on bike radar.

We also keep an eye on them here too incase they’re a cunning promotion.

globalti
    Free Member

The Ebay pics are terrible!

legend
    Free Member

It’s not even in the big ring 🙄

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Drac not a cunning promotion! Just asking genuine opinions. The pics are all I had and too be honest haven’t had a chance to take any more!
    Pics aside the value of the bike is not what I though it was. So guess I will suck it up!

Drac

Drac not a cunning promotion! Just asking genuine opinions

That’s why the post is still here. 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

The pics are all I had and too be honest haven’t had a chance to take any more!

Not to sound harsh, but you have been trying to sell the bike for several months.

If you don’t put any effort into selling the bike, then you can’t be surprised when it doesn’t sell.

flyingmonkeycorps

I tend to think when I’m “selling” a bike for months (like I am with my Mmbop frame) it usually actually means that I don’t want to sell it at all, so I’m not really trying.

scaredypants

Seatpost has virtually no layback and stem is short. If it’s only a bit too small you could easily make it fit you and then keep it

Jamie
    Free Member

I tend to think when I’m “selling” a bike for months (like I am with my Mmbop frame) it usually actually means that I don’t want to sell it at all, so I’m not really trying.

Might have some joy if you cleaned it? 8)

Northwind

I wouldn’t list a bike for sale with pics like that. First bite is with the eyes.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Yes I know I have thanks for the reminder.

Yes the pics are crap, I needed to list and they were all I had and haven’t got round to taking more. So let’s get over the pics as I would probably have more luck with better pics. THE PICS ARE CRAP.

So even if I had decent pics would I be likely to get more?

Drac

No. Pics don’t add value and you’ve told everyone who much you are willing to accept now.

Jamie
    Free Member

More than…?

The market has dictated that £900 is probably too much, as it has not sold.

You could always take a gamble, and put it as an auction on eBay, and see what it goes for?

P.S: You need some better pics. Surprised no-ones has mentioned it.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

jamie, cheers fir the advice in the pics 🙂

already on the bay so it appears the market has dictated!

Thanks again for all the input it is appreciated.

and yes i know the pics are rubbish!

piemonster

Good lord, those photos!!!!!!

Gribs

It doesn’t help either that your sizing doesn’t appear to match up to it being a medium. Here’s the actual size range/geometry

http://images.evanscycles.com/product_document/file/ad8/fe5/3cb/1471/gt-gtr-series-2012-geometry.pdf

The easiest thing to measure to check the actual size is probably the headtube.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

This is the correct geo chart which gives the right dimensions. As listed.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Be lucky to get £700 for that, and only if you can be arsed to market it properly with pictures that do it justice. Would you buy a bike with such awful snaps?

So in summary, overpriced, bad pictures.

hora
    Free Member

I’d erm not point out its high mileage. It helps put buyers off.

Drac

I’d erm not point out its high mileage. It helps put buyers off.

1500 miles high mileage?

bearnecessities

Depends if it has a DPF.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Is 1500 miles high mileage? By that thought process my bikes are high mileage after just 15 weeks!

Jamie
    Free Member

1500 miles is not high mileage.

unovolo
    Free Member

1500 miles is not high mileage.

+1

Some guys do that per month (definitely not me though)

Personally I would split it and list it either on ebay individually or on Bikeradar or Road.C.C think thats your best option to get the best return.

You may find also that when trying to sell it as a complete bike on ebay its better to start at 99p (with a reserve if you want) ,your starting price of £900 will deter people from bidding when there’s lot of similar spec other bikes on for a lot less.

Start the bidding low and hopefully you may get several people who get caught in a bidding war , also list it so it finishes at a decent time anywhere between 7 and 9pm in the evenings is normally good, list it so it finishes at a daft time and chances are you will end up selling too cheap.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Why isn't my bike selling?’ is closed to new replies.