Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Why isn't cyclocross more popular?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

..Or more to the point why can’t it be?

It’s very short, you can use any bike, Is normally raced on local parks, very easy to get into

I’m really looking forward to racing cyclocross but the season always seems short and with very few races (compared to road racing) I live in bristol and notice swindon have some evening night races which seem really cool. i’d love it if there were some mid week evening races in bristol as well as the weekend.

When it comes to road season there’s always a crit race in the week and a road race at the weekend.

With cross you don’t need a technical purpose built course like you would for xc.

I actually prefer cross to road racing and would probably get rid of my xc race bike if there were more cross races in the summer

MrAgreeable

You know there’s a summer evening race series in Bristol? If not then it kind of proves what I was going to say – that publicising it is part of the problem.

I think it’s a bit of a circular thing. When there’s a big entry field it’s more fun as there is generally someone to race against (this is doubly so for women, my girlfriend hardly races any more as she’s not enthused by the idea of riding round a park by herself for 40 minutes).

There’s also an uncomfortable truth element – a lot of mountain bikers think they’re fitter and faster than they are, and don’t want to pay £10 to have their arses handed to them by a bunch of roadies.

I like what the Rollapaluza guys are doing with the Muddy Hell race. Proper atmosphere, a fun unconventional course and a spectator-friendly event rather than a bunch of blokes slogging round a wet field. Not to detract from the hard work of the guys who put the local events on, but a few more trimmings could see it becoming really popular.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I live in bristol and notice swindon have some evening night races which seem really cool.

I’d highly recommend you do at least one round of the series. It’s and excellent series on a fantastic little track. 🙂

Northwind

It’s XC racing with the horrible bits turned up to 11 and the fun bits removed, on bikes purpose built to be rubbish. No ta.

Only half kidding btw- I’ve got a cross bike, I enjoy riding it but cross racing is for masochists and lunatics.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

is the answer “it’s for roadies who want to be different and arn’t actually competitive on a road bike”?

For clarity: I don’t beleive this, I overheard it in a conversation on the interwebs

MrAgreeable

Or alternatively:

cross racing is for masochists and lunatics.

There’s clearly a market for it though, as evidenced by the massive popularity of Strava, and I’m much more excited by the thought of racing head to head on a closed marshalled circuit than wondering what corners of my local trail I can cut to win a little pixellated cup.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I did 3 cross races last winter and absolutey loved them. Yes i wanted the last lap bell to ring urgently but once it was finished i was properly grinning! Have done a load of road races this year and didn’t enjoy 1 of them!

I did know about the summer series (a bit late). Also saw the vid fro the muddy hell and that looks awesome. I friggin love night riding and to race and night would be awesome.

I’d love to get a few of the bristol clubs together and chat about a night race.

It was actually Chas (thurman merman) that first got me into a cross race about 5 years ago at a -2 ashton court 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/31425707[/video]

ac282

Used to do a lot of it but I got sick of thrashing myself round the edges of playing fields in the rain.

trickydisco
    Free Member

There’s clearly a market for it though, as evidenced by the massive popularity of Strava, and I’m much more excited by the thought of racing head to head on a closed marshalled circuit than wondering what corners of my local trail I can cut to win a little pixellated cup.

Exactly. and that’s what I love about cross. You always seem to be racing for position. There’s always someone behind and smoeone in front. Not like road racing.. you get dropped and you’re out!

MrAgreeable

Chas is a good bloke, I haven’t seen him at a race recently though!

There are quite a few race organisers round Bristol so the experience is there, it’s just getting everyone to work together and expand the horizons a bit. We nagged and nagged one organiser to put on a race as part of the first Bristol Cycle Festival, didn’t hear anything back from him, and then it turned out he’d run one in Victoria Park (sadly with a fairly low turnout).

trickydisco
    Free Member

Are you in a Bristol club mr agreeable?

Yea. chas gave it up a while ago. He never really wanted to do any road racing and after trying it for a couple of seasons I can see why.

I know a few from bristol RC, bristol south and my club (VC Bristol) are keen on cross this year. I think the turnout is going to be a lot more. Might have a word with a few in the club about putting on a race and what it involves. We put on a road race every year

trickydisco
    Free Member

is the answer “it’s for roadies who want to be different and arn’t actually competitive on a road bike”?

For clarity: I don’t beleive this, I overheard it in a conversation on the interwebs

Maybe 🙂 I just hate the non racing and tje time it took up. Also the crit races where everyone rides around in circles and there’s a sprint at the end. I just found them boring

MrAgreeable

I normally race in Las Vegas Institute of Sport colours, so at risk of offending Clubber I’d say I’m not part of a “serious” club. We do have a bit of event organising experience and I’m sure there are plenty of members who’d love to help out.

We spoke to Blaise Castle about putting on a race there a while back and they made positive noises, but it would have been inside quite a limited area. I don’t think we have any BC-licenced officials either although I might be mistaken.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Now this looks good (yes, i know it’s poncy rapha

Rapha supercross

doodlebug
    Free Member

You know there’s a summer evening race series in Bristol

You know there’s a summer / autumn series in Leicester.
    Tonight !!, i’m off there now 😀

http://bikeraces.wix.com/beaumont-summer-cross-series

kimbers

so wait a minute you get a road bike and race it round a field?

that sounds amazing, to think ive been wasting all my time trying to get to places like the alps

MrAgreeable

^
    Yes but you’ve got more chance of pulling at a cyclocross race.

(May be a lie)

jonba
    Free Member

2 leagues around the north east neccl and cxne both get 50+ during winter. I’d race through summer if it was on. Safer and more accessible than crit racing on open roads.

If the terrain were available I’d prefer xc though in a similar but more technical format

trickydisco
    Free Member

Exactly. You don’t need to whack your £3k bike on top of your audi and mince/faff around in some car park for ages. You can race down some local park, enjoy battling for position.. oh and did i forget to mention the pain and taste of blood in your lungs

oldgit
    Free Member

A few reasons.
    You don’t get many cross specific racers here, and a good few are racing road through Spring and Summer.
    Also someone has to do all the work i.e finding venues, doing all the BC stuff, getting marshals etc. What percentage of those that race ever help in any way?
    Cross dates would clash with the road and XC.
    Most racers I know, like myself prefer to race road and MTB Spring Summer, and race cross over winter.
    And Kimbers don’t start, we’re talking cheap hour long races, where we race other folk. We can’t nip off to the Alps three times a week to race.

MrAgreeable

We drove all the way to London for Muddy Hell and I wasn’t disappointed. Something like that locally would be ace.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Are the Bristol races still on ???

ahwiles
    Free Member

1) it seems i’d need a cyclocross bike
    2) i haven’t got a cyclocross bike
    3) the courses do look a bit dull, and everyone seemed to get off and run/walk the interesting bits
    4) i reckon i’ll buy a cyclocross bike and find out for myself…

MrAgreeable

We can’t nip off to the Alps three times a week to race.

People have been fed a fantasy image of mountain biking – all dust, endless singletrack and huge mountains. Whereas your average UK ride or race is far more like this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9_Fs1QtsOY[/video]

oldgit
    Free Member

and everyone seemed to get off and run/walk the interesting bits

That’ll be the cross in cyclo cross

MrAgreeable

Bristol series dates

The BC website doesn’t make them easy to find; apparently we’re in the South, not the South West. Oo-ar.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Thanks Mr A

phinbob

It’s hard.

rusty90
    Free Member

It’s hard.

But fun

mattsccm
    Free Member

The Gloucester club run quite a few events as well.Not that far to go.

aP
    Free Member

Cross is now huge, I’ve been “racing” since 93 and it’s suddenly gone big.
    Kimbers – I’ve seen you in Brentford on your shonky Kona – just put your big shorts on and come and race at Minet Park at the end of September. You can ride there and back, and while you’re at it you can buy me a pint at The Fox on the way home.

dobo
    Free Member

I did a few cross races last year and really enjoyed them but damn they are hard to be competitive in. In CX theres like 40 and i’d be bottom 10 for sure where mtb theres more riders of similar speed.

I dont know how youd go about attracting more novice riders but probably starts with the courses being more interesting

My other beef with CX is that when you look at some euro and US races the races look preety good, sand, barriers, some running etc

some of the races i’ve done down south have had zero sand, zero barriers, zero running, and mostly around fields

I’ll be trying to not come last again this year though, great workout

simondbarnes

It’s massively popular up here in the North West. Regularly have 100+ fields and I think there are 14 rounds of the NW league this season. Also massive fields in the Yorkshire league.

dobo
    Free Member

oh and the other thing that just slightly anoying is that whilst im prety much central to where the wessex cx are, the majority of them are still over an hour away, so being not so fast and driving longer than im racing is a little off putting.
    Rant over, i sound like a whiner.

Now get your asses to cx races down south please, i want to race in a 100+ field, that would be carnage 🙂

Clover

You need to come to God’s own country. We have a winter and a summer season series … it’s great and not just playing fields.

There’s also the 3 Peaks (entries closed now, try next year), Hell of the West and Mills Hills which promises to be great.

Not quite sure why I love cyclocross so much – it hurts *a lot* but when it’s fast it’s very fast and it makes me giggle.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Probably because CX races are too hard for most people (especially the weekend warriors on this forum) at 55 I think it’s too late for me to give it a try 😥

simondbarnes

at 55 I think it’s too late for me to give it a try

Bollocks is it. I’m regularly battling with Ian Small in the NW League and he’s in his 70s 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

So basically a cross country race carrying a bike?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Is he on medication for high blood pressure?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Why isn't cyclocross more popular?’ is closed to new replies.