Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why is this so difficult….planning a train track on a small board.
  • rockhopper70

I am fitting a train track on a board for my son and can’t get a layout much better than concentric ovals. Anyone got a plan or photos of something a bit more…..well……interesting?

Edric64
    Free Member

Could you use a tunnel ? go over a bridge or something to add interest?

spacehopper

have a look on RM Web theres loads of stuff on there…

rockhopper70

Ideally needs to be flat as it is going on a wall board to hinge down.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Board Size?

We came up with this busy layout for an 8′ x 4′

john_drummer
    Free Member

go N-scale. You’ll get 4 times as much in the same space. Or even Z-scale, you’ll get even more in

seriously

8ft x 4ft is not big enough for a meaningful layout in OO/HO scale.

Go buy a copy of Railway Modeller from your local newsagent/model shop

wwaswas

my son’s OO track had a sort of raised spiral on it – was only 4ft by 4ft and had a 3inch ‘rim’ of wood round it – all folded up nicely against the wall.

rockhopper70

A bit worried now as we have around 5 foot by 4 foot to work with.
    …….

molgrips
    Free Member

The radius of curvature of the track pieces means that you need a certain amount of space to get wiggles and curves in, and 8×4 is not enough.

rockhopper70

Any photos wwaswas??

Harry_the_Spider

I want to see TuckerUK’s and John Drummer’s

Trains are next on the list of things that my lad doesn’t need but is going to get.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Trains are next on the list of things that my lad doesn’t I don’t need but is going to get.

Fixed that for you.

What you see is what you get with mine. 00 layout using Hornby track spacing and 1st 2nd and 3rd radius curves. Standard points. Not yet built.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I don’t have trains now. not since I was 14.

but when I did it was N-scale and it was going to be big, but it never got completed. I think it was all for my step-dad to be honest.

We had a detached bungalow, floored the loft & the layout was a u-shape thing around three of the walls (about half the length of the long side, with a (planned) terminus & town at one end, a long smooth near-scale curve taking it around on to the middle bit of the U, then into some tunnels & out the other side into a “marshalling yard”

that was the plan anyway. we moved house shortly after the frame, base boards & hard landscaping were finished.

the price of model railway kit today is frightening

m1kea
    Free Member

As above, I’d also hazard 8 X 4 isn’t going to give you a lot of working space.

On a connected note a chap asked me to do some snaps of the Scalextric circuit he’d put together for his boy. He didn’t use the conventional track but instead routed the grooves in the base board and custom wired them. Various static cars were also wired up with flashing lights and what have you.

Needless to say he put a lot of work in to this and my snaps are here.

How old is his boy? Two………….!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I feel nerdy just for reading this.

Secretely, however, I wish I had a scale track. With tunnels. and a bridge. and that fake grass stuff.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I just saw the scalectrix set on the link above, very very cool.
    Im keen to learn more about how he made those tracks, must take a very steady hand with the router!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

you’re finding it difficult because your subconscious knows its a dark and expensive pastime best enjoyed by serial killers and people who live with their mums. It’s trying to save you.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Sounds like you want to make a small marshalling yard. Maybe a hump shunting yard like the one that used to be at Tinsley. Maybe even knock up a class 13 for accuracy’s sake. Hornby do 08s yeah?

It’s what I’d do. Get it wikipediad. Forget about what the lad wants. Train sets are for the dads, always have been, always will be.

I’m currently drunk, but don’t let that distract from the fact that I speak the truth.

JulianA
    Free Member

That’s a cool Scalextric track!

wwaswas

no pictures I’m afraid – was 10 years ago and I didn’t own a digital camera in those days…

If you do a google for ‘helix model railway’ you’ll see loads of examples for adding distance to a layout by adding height.

m1kea
    Free Member

Chris had put a lot of effort in to his Scalextric track and whilst it’s not particularly realistic, it is fun to play with. I’ve always preferred railways but never had the money or space to do such things.

I chap I knew years ago had a complete garage of Fleischmann Z garage railway. It took up the whole garage and was multi level. I dread to think how much it cost him.

yunki
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just the universe’s way of telling you that you are trying to give your son a toy from an era that died around the same time as jimi hendrix and that what he really wants is this:

wwaswas

yunki – just what every 6 year old needs – a game for age 17+ people..

Handsomedog
    Free Member

8×4 – that’s not a train set…. THIS is a train set!

yunki
    Free Member

just what every 6 year old needs – a game for age 17+ people..

your street would appear to be a bit more utopian than mine perhaps..

only kidding.. sort of.. 😕

alfabus
    Free Member

Handsomedog – Member
    8×4 – that’s not a train set…. THIS is a train set!

Blimey, you’re not kidding:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/PN_oDdGmKyA[/video]

Dave

edit: hmm, how do you embed youtube videos? or is it just vimeo that works?

here is a link anyway

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’ve got a 4.6′ x 4.6′ board under my son’s bed. Still building it but its a pretty cool little layout. One full loop and one 1/2 loop around the outside of that with 2 sidings in the middle, a passing loop at the top and a small yard at the bottom on the outside (branch) line.

Not got any pics of it but I altered a plan thats on http://www.freetrackplans.com/. Some really really good stuff on there for decent layouts to fit in small spaces. Hoping to build something more prototypical along a wall in the spare room soon!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why is this so difficult….planning a train track on a small board.’ is closed to new replies.