• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why is there no # button on an iMac keyboard?
  • iolo
    Free Member

I just got a new iMac and couldn’t find the # key. I googled it and see its alt + 3. That seems a bit silly. Why not write it on the 3 button.
    Is there a reason for this?

molgrips
    Free Member

Americans don’t have a £ sign on their keyboards, of course, but we do have $ because it’s needed when writing code. They have # (which they also call ‘pound’ for some reason) where we have £. But we also need # so we stick it on another key near the enter key. If you are trying to shrink a keyboard by taking out some keys, an American finds it easy to remove the one that # is on on our keyboard, and then simply put £ on shift-3 instead of #. But then this leaves us without a #.

Or in other words, this is Apple. You’ll get what we give you and like it.

vinnyeh

It’s probably been only in the last three or four years that the average Mac user has noticed that there wasn’t a hash key on the keyboard.
    I don’t see the issue really, it’s the same number of keypresses.

trail_rat
    Free Member

# is fairly universally used as pound when talking about pipe weight per foot molgrips, it probably orginated as an americanism but its widely used in industry now.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just read the wikipedia article. It suggests that it was a stylised version of lb, similar to the & sign for ‘et’, but it also says that it’s only called ‘pound’ in the US and it’s usually only used to mean number in the US too.

spooky_b329

How about Chromebooks (or my Toshiba at least) having a slightly annoying search button where the CapsLock should be? I think you can lock the shift button though.

dan1980
    Free Member

Why not write it on the 3 button.

?

ferrals
    Free Member

Because Apple aren’t Enduro enough

matthew_h
    Free Member

#worstIjustgotanewmacthreadever

scaredypants

#LOL

bensales
    Free Member

Newer Mac keyboard do have it on the 3. Certainly the one I’m typing on does.

iolo
    Free Member

#imsadbutnotthatsad 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

And on a chromebook you can change the settings so that the search button becomes the caps lock.

chvck
    Free Member

I think that the chromebook use of the caps key is excellent. On all of my Windows machines I now have caps and windows keys assigned to load a little searcher called launchy.

iolo
    Free Member

Which Mac do you have bensales?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

As a maybe-interesting aside… if you go into System Preferences > Keyboard and check the ‘Show Keyboard & Character viewers’ box, it’ll give you the symbol seen next to the wi-fi symbol in the menu bar:

Click that, then Show Character Viewer and you’ll have easy access to a whole load of fancy shit you’ll never use.

Kuco

#############Yep works on my macbook air##############

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why is there no # button on an iMac keyboard?’ is closed to new replies.