Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Why is there a square of sandpaper stuck to the inside of a shoe box?
  • lunge

Your random question of the day is this. I have bought a few pairs of shoes recently and all of them have had a small, 2cm ish square, piece of sandpaper glued to the inside of the box. Any ideas why this is there? Does it serve some purpose I am unaware of?

bonchance
    Free Member

rfid tag?

footflaps

wards of evil show spirits?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

Definitely not an RFID tag, it is simple sandpaper, nothing more and nothing less.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It’s to capture a DNA sample when you brush your hand against it.

Samples are retrieved in recycling / waste disposal centres and used to track your movements

shermer75
    Free Member

What kinds of shoes?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

What grade?

andybanks
    Free Member

To sand the soles for grip.

That’s assumes they’re leather soles.

woody2000

Probably a silica gel sticker or something?

scaredypants

it’s so you can get the feel of wearing them outside without getting ’em dirty while checking they fit

shermer75
    Free Member

Mystery solved

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq7DGvfnr3U[/video]

lunge

The shoes were, off the top of my head, a pair of Grenson brogues, some Barker lace-ups and some Loake Oxfords. Interestingly, all had leather soles so perhaps the roughing up comment is correct.

Edit, a pretty coarse grade of sandpaper.

jag61

escape map for when lost in desert whilst wearing stout English footwear?

29erKeith
    Free Member

Anti fungal/mould thing, I had one in a shoe box last year, it had a label though

adrec
    Free Member

Its probably instead of a sachet of silica granules, ie it absorbs moisture

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s to sand war-scars down your face

jekkyl

you never get that in shoes from sports direct!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Attach it a ring and wear it on the inside of your hand, so it would be on the inside of a fist. Then, when someone tries to mug you for your tasteful and stylish shoes, simply slap them across the face with the words “Take that you ruffian”. The sandpaper will render his complexion easily identifiable to the rozzers.
    Or you could glue it to the inside of a toilet roll tube and have a w*nk. I probably wouldn’t but I don’t know what works for you.

lunge

Definitely not Silica, there was a sachet of that in the box but it certainty wasn’t the sandpaper.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Attach it a ring and wear it on the inside of your hand, so it would be on the inside of a fist. Then, when someone tries to mug you for your tasteful and stylish shoes, simply slap them across the face with the words “Take that you ruffian”. The sandpaper will render his complexion easily identifiable to the rozzers.

I’m not in the shoe industry but this seems the most likely reason.

lunge

Attach it a ring and wear it on the inside of your hand, so it would be on the inside of a fist. Then, when someone tries to mug you for your tasteful and stylish shoes, simply slap them across the face with the words “Take that you ruffian”. The sandpaper will render his complexion easily identifiable to the rozzers

Mystery solved, good work STW.

wwaswas

I think you’ll find it’s glass paper.

hth.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Why is there a square of sandpaper stuck to the inside of a shoe box?’ is closed to new replies.