Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why is the Virgin TV interface so cr4p ?
  • j_me
    Free Member

Why is it so slow and clunky when it’s got a nice fat fibre optic link which delivers excellent superfast broadband?

grievoustim
    Free Member

agreed

I have come from sky to virgin, I like the broadband, i like the fact I get get iPlayer etc via the virgin box

But the UI is awful – slow, multiple clicks when one or 2 will do

drives me a bit nuts

thepurist

Wait until the end of the year folks – big changes coming to Virgin.

J0N
    Free Member

Agree. It’s always been really slow. Cant fathom why nowadays. Granted I have an old box but new boxes dont feel any faster. V+ is a quicker by a very small amount but still clunky.

Thepurist – Is this still the intended UI/EPG?

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/virgin-media-s-concept-epg-heralds-future-606911

dazzlingboy

+1 – been with it for about 10 years since way back Telewest – only hang in because their broadband has been fast and faultless. TV is absolutely carp.

clubber
    Free Member

Well I find the V+ generally good but slow to move through the menus/UI which is a bit annoying but I can’t say it really annoys me – improvements would be good though. Keep thinking that I should replace the second (original Telewest) TV box with a V+ but it’s £50 and that seems a bit silly when I’ve got a V+ in the other room.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t understand why they don’t just do a mocked up version of the Sky interface. Would Sky have a copyright or some kind of protection on their UI? It’s the only thing that bloody keeps me with Sky – i.e. whenever I’m at a mate’s place with the V system, I just think “hmmm, not sure I could live with that”. Otherwise, I’d be over to Virgin in a heartbeat.

rewski
    Free Member

Because it’s old and a botched together NTL and Telewest platform – Virgin sucks, BT Vision UI is pretty slick.

I’m waiting for YouView.

http://www.youview.com/

thepurist

AIUI the new V+ box is basically a Tivo Series 4 so I’d expect the UI to look like this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4xxHjXr2UY[/video]

rewski
    Free Member

Tivo Series 4 – looks dated and american – worst combo IMO

thepurist

rewski – FWIW the Tivo Series 1 UI (10 years old) is still more intuitive, user friendly and flexible than Sky+

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sky has a great UI again the only reason I stay with them. Shame as I could get a much better value bundle from Virgin as I have BB and Phone.

My SIL has Vigin TV and it is a pain in the arse.

j_me
    Free Member

J0N – good link that looks nice. But come on Virgin its dated June 2009 !

rewski
    Free Member

thepurist – agree re Sky+, that’s why I choose BT Vision, who wants a dish anyway.

clubber
    Free Member

jools – You either watch a lot of TV or get very troubled by life’s little inconveniences 😉

rewski
    Free Member

Yes – I’m unemployed.

Cougar

My only gripe with the Sky GUI is that you can’t change the font size. I have a 42″ HD TV and good eyesight, I’d rather get more detail onscreen rather than text have that’s two inches high and can be read from across the street.

nedrapier

“excellent superfast broadband” ?!?

Not through mine. Paying for “up to 10” and getting “up to 1” if we’re lucky.

uplink
    Free Member

I can’t imagine the GUI of either Sky or Virgin being a deciding factor in which one to buy for me
    I have both & don’t have any great issue using either

megastream
    Free Member

Agree the menu’s are terrible on Virgin….

I’m also on a 10Meg broadband and get around 2-4Mb of an evening

samuri
    Free Member

Will you lot stop doing these sorts of things. I’ve got Virgin arriving on Saturday and you’re putting the craps up me. If the GUI on the TV is worse than the PVR we have my wife is going to go nuts, it took me long enough to encourage her to use that. We’re getting a V+ box, I assume that’s as good as it gets…..

clubber
    Free Member

The V+ box is a doddle to use. My wife loves it. It’s just that when you press a button it usually takes a second to go to the next screen rather than being instant.

j_me
    Free Member

megastream – i wouldn’t be happy with those figures. I consistently get 80-90% of the advertised rate for my downloads.

Dancake
    Free Member

I moved to Virgin as I could not get a very good broadband speed down the phone line (iplayer HD wouldnt work for example) Got better value package too

The virgin Interface is a bit clonky though but there is loads of content and you get 1 more tuner too to aid in recording clashes if you have them?

Just got 80 quid for my sky hd box too. bargain!

NB For the best TIVO experience you are going to need new hardware..bet there is a premium on this like getting the TVdrive HD was originally. Might be best to wait.

mrchrispy

had a humax 9200 PVR since they released them and it was ace, always had virgin but never bothered with it (used for internet and phone). Started using it when we got a HD telly and its really does suck arse!

i’d go back to the humax in a heart beat if it could do the iplayer

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why is the Virgin TV interface so cr4p ?’ is closed to new replies.