• This topic has 76 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Why is the manbag on the rise?
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

S’up sweetie, cat pissed on your cornflakes this morning?
    Really, do you actually take notice of this sort of Daily Mail-type click-bait bollocks and take it seriously?
    Really? Shirley you’ve got better things to do with your time.

i was just having a laugh, you’re taking it too seriously. But you wouldn’t sound like an internet hard man if you didn’t have a nasty dig at someone every so often would you? . 🙄

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

bodgy
    Free Member

^^ 🤣

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trumpton
    Free Member

I always use a manbag. Mobile phone,water so I can take tablets,my ecig,eliquid and a spare coil.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I have an old leather satchel if I need to carry lots of papers etc, but I couldn’t put my keys etc in there. I’d be paranoid of leaving it somewhere. Keys in jeans pocket, phone in the other. Wallet in back pocket. You can feel that they’re there. It’s reassuring.

I have no opinion of other guys using a manbag. What does make me wince though is men who keep coins in there wallet, like a little purse. Seeing them peering in and trying to fish out the exact change out of their girly purse at the bar brings me out in a mild rage. I’ve no idea why…

nealglover
    Free Member

men who keep coins in there wallet, like a little purse. Seeing them peering in and trying to fish out the exact change out of their girly purse at the bar brings me out in a mild rage. I’ve no idea why…

I’m glad I’m not the only one that finds this weird.

Coins in wallets. Wtf. 😂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I ride every day with an evoc backpack or (and some days plus) a DaKine 30ltr backpack. Are either of these manbags? Do i need to worry?

jonnyboi

I use a small rucksack for lunch, laptop, assorted man crap etc.

Tbh a man bag might not be a bad alternative. If men want to be practical and carry their stuff around in a bag who GAF if it’s a tesco bag for life or made in hebden from genuine northern bullshit?

CountZero

i was just having a laugh, you’re taking it too seriously. But you wouldn’t sound like an internet hard man if you didn’t have a nasty dig at someone every so often would you? . 🙄

Hardly looked that way, seemed more like someone getting their nickers in a twist over something barely worth a thought, but if it makes you feel better, knock yerself out. #rollseyes
    Oh, and my choice of ‘manbag’ when I went shopping in town was my green canvas paper-delivery bag when I sold evening papers outside of Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co after school. Which makes it 51 years old, you can still see, very faintly, Evening Post stencilled on the flap, and a Yes logo I drew on the front when I used it at college in Bristol.
    Still in good nick, it’ll probably last longer than me!

binners

As a poncey metropolitan designer type i’ve been using a satchel type man-bag for years. I have a nice selection and rarely leave home without one.

My present favourite is a nice olive canvas John Roscha shoulder bag which just like your average ladies haaaaandbaaaaaaag is absolutely stuffed full of all manner of accumulated crap, including a small anvil to break other people’s hips on public transport

seriously…. why would anyone care what other people choose to lug there stuff around in

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

newrobdob

Man bags – grrrrrrr. I spoke to one user and they said they keep their wallet and keys in it. What??? Do you not have pockets?

if you’ve got folders/paperwork/laptop to carry then use a suitable bag/case. Otherwise, phone wallet and keys all go in your pockets in jeans/trousers/suit jacket. End of.

Hang on a chuffin SECOND there!

Not that long ago you BOUGHT ME A MANBAG for Christmas! And you told me to give it a try as it was a good idea or something along those lines!

aracer
    Free Member

crankboy wrote:

people including men need a lot of clutter

Fixed. This is why women feel the need to carry huge bags around with them, let’s not join them! I don’t even carry a wallet anymore as it just led to me carrying too much clutter – nowadays just a couple of cards and a few notes in my pocket which I find works fine. Or given the existence of Android Pay, often just (compact) phone and keys.

cheque book… passport

Often find yourself needing to take a flight at a moment’s notice in the 20th century? 😉

km79
    Free Member

Not that long ago you BOUGHT ME A MANBAG for Christmas! And you told me to give it a try as it was a good idea or something along those lines!

Haha! Busted!

Cougar

People use man bags because they’re really bloody handy. Wherever I go, I tend to have not only my wallet and keys, but my phone, a book, a notebook and pen, a pocketknife, and whatever else I may need to carry at a given time.

This.  I’m a geek, my pockets are at capacity.

Back when phones looked like this

you could cheerfully stick it in your front jeans pocket and forget about it.  Now that your average handset is the size of Belgium it’s not really a viable option.

Plus, it’s nice to have stuff to hand.  I’ve got a SAK in mine which gets almost daily use.  Pen and notepad is often handy (I know that’s a bit luddite when I could use my phone).  I used to have a torch until I replaced it with a pocket keyring job.  Emergency deodorant for times when I’ve been running around all day at work and start to get a bit ripe in the middle of the afternoon.  And so forth.  Kindle?  Tablet?  Micro-USB cable?  Emergency Mars bar?

It’s a useful thing.  There’s a degree of snobbery about it, my mates took the piss for about five minutes until they realised I didn’t care, and in any case they soon change their tune when the arm falls off their glasses in the pub or something and I hand them a screwdriver.

SaxonRider

my mates took the piss for about five minutes until they realised I didn’t care, and in any case they soon change their tune when the arm falls off their glasses in the pub or something and I hand them a screwdriver.

This. So many times.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I probably just bought you a bag? A man-bag isn’t just a bag carried by a man (which would include gym bags/courier bags/laptop bags etc), its those tiny things which are basically a handbag for men. Which no-one needs.

fasthaggis

Oh oh,rob’s been outed my his bro 🙂  🙂

newrobdob
    Free Member

This is a man-bag 

This is a man carrying a bag

newrobdob
    Free Member

Oh oh,rob’s been outed my his bro

I honestly can’t remember buying him a bag, but it wouldn’t have been a man-bag. It would have just been a normal bag, as per my description above. 🙂

fasthaggis

Robster,you care about this subject far too much,just come out of that closet and go buy one 😉 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

my handbag contains ……………..cheque book, first aid kit ……… passport , sewing kit, knife

Eh? a cheque book, passport, sewing kit & knife are you Mick Dundee in disguise

binners

Rob…. I’m going to go out on a limb here but do you have a subscription to Mens Health Magazine by any chance?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Rob…. I’m going to go out on a limb here but do you have a subscription to Mens Health Magazine by any chance?

If you saw me you’d know that I don’t!!

seadog101

In and out of airports and planes, this has become my go to bag, along with a small roll along.

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/cityvibe-tablet-cross-over-17.8-24.5cm-7-9.7inch/59552.html?dwvar_59552_color=2440&cgid=2550#start=9&cgid=2550

perfect for ipad, phone, passport, book, wallet, odds and sods. Much better than a backpack, I hate faffing around taking on off for stuff.

CountZero

I used to always carry a courier bag around, and still do for work, because I carry various bits and bobs between jobs, like a phone screen mount, cables, a spare powerpack in case the car’s 12v socket doesn’t work, and the USB hasn’t got the juice to charge a phone with the satnav running, which is usually the case, my trade plates, a bottle of drink, and other odds and ends, but my regular bag is one of these:

I keep a couple of large shopping bags folded up just in case I need to carry shopping.
    It’ll carry my iPad, and some other bits and pieces, and doesn’t get in the way.
    If it was good enough for soldiers to carry on the front line, it’s good enough for me.
    And it was cheap.
    Most of my daily stuff goes in my pockets, my Pelican wallet, phone, keys, pocket knife, and a leather pouch for loose change.

Cougar

a leather pouch for loose change.

A purse, you mean? (-:

I quite like that bag, though I’d prefer more pockets.  What is it, some sort of army surplus affair?

I’ve been after a replacement for mine for months but the current trend seems to be either massive bags, really expensive, or both.  I want something big enough to hold an 8″ tablet and a few odds and sods in, rather than something I could fit a laptop into.

hugo
    Free Member

they soon change their tune when the arm falls off their glasses in the pub or something and I hand them a screwdriver.

binners

Cougar – get yourself off to Debenhams and get yourself one of these. Fits the bill perfectly

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_083010642863_-1

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve just calculated that I possibly have more bags than braincells.  Not a triumphant feat by any standards.  i seriosuly doubt that any are press-worthy, but here:

– Derwent canvas land bag for sketching tools, paintbox, brushes and peanut butter sarnies

– 70s brown leather school satchel.  For bigger sketchbook, tablet and stuff.  Smart eh?

– Polish army map satchel.  Now redundant see above.

– Lidl 18l rucksack with rain-cover for lightweight day trips or overnight visits

– Roll-top cycle pannier/s with shoulder-straps for the grocery runs

– Bladder-less Camelbak Lobo when I want to carry minimal stuff for a day (phone, keys, charge-pack, bike lock, hat, gloves, multitool, puncture kit, tick-twister, etc)

– Bladder-less Camelbak smaller (Hydrobak?) backpack for when I want to carry even less than the bare minimum (phone, keys, cable-lock, gloves, Buff scarf)

– Laptop messenger bag

– BCB 25l canvas rucksack for heavier-weight day-trips or minimalist night-camps

Cougar

@binners – cheers for that (I was just looking at Debenhams as it happens), still on the large side though.

• HWD: 27 x 42 x 12cm

The one I have is roughly 30×24, and it’s on the large side if anything.  The little Samsonite ones look closer to what I’m looking for I think.

johnx2
    Free Member

this has become my go to bag, along with a small roll along.

A “small roll along”? Whaaaa? I seriously hope you carry the **** but it sounds to me like that compounded horror: the manbag on wheels.

I’d say I don’t have words but I do have words. Just they’d all be rendered as asterisks…

maccruiskeen

who GAF if it’s a tesco bag for life or made in hebden from genuine northern bullshit?

benp1

I don’t carry a manbag, but agree with the definition that a manbag is a manbag, whereas a man carrying a bag is different

I trimmed down what I carry quite a lot – phone, keys and wallet. Mainly so I can easily carry them when wearing shorts!

Phone has the stocard app, which is ace. Wallet is a Trove which is ridiculously tiny. Keys have some gadgets (like a Leatherman PS4) but still relatively small

I carry a rackpack on my bike every time I go to work which i suppose counts. I carry a shirt to work as well as useful other bits (like jacket, tools, tube etc)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thrilling stuff isn’t it?  There’s always going to be someone angry or disgusted at you because you carry stuff in a bag.   What gets such people most of all is that it’s not necessarily the bag that they would choose.  The in-group/out-group prone are the same ones who are angered because you ride one of those childish contraptions called a ‘bike’ while they (and the people with whom they identify) naturally drive everywhere and wouldn’t be caught dead on a child’s toy wearing those gay-looking tight clothes.  Neither those oversize shorts meant for school boys.  It just makes you endlessly annoying to them (and possibly a bit creepy).  With a little ‘help’ from the popular press you may already be given short shrift on the street.  Take care out there.

Same goes for clothing.  It’s a minefield.  There is little that will mark you as an ‘outie’ more quickly than choosing clothing that strays too far from the unwritten and largely shifting codes of ‘acceptable’.

fasthaggis

Malvern.

Over the shoulder bum bags is where it’s at 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

What’s in kakky-brown short guy’s pocket? And did he choose those red-tongued shoes to match his knees?

And why does the over-shoulder bag have a big round label on it?  Is it an identity device?  A code?  I remember in the 90s shoes with CONS written on the hugely oversized tongues.  I felt a little that way (conned) after buying some simply because it said CONS and the ‘cool dudes’ (am too old to know contemporary equivalent) in town had some on.  So I followed suit, as if a fool lost for ideas.

And men who wear Clarks?  As a school-kid I learned that Clarks shoes were probably a signifier of immense creepiness.  Because comfortable.

Humans really are weird aren’t we?  When you think about it.

benp1

I have over 20 rucksack/backpacks, seriously. I could probably do with selling half a dozen or so.

(that doesn’t include holdalls, messenger bags, waistpacks etc)

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Why is the manbag on the rise?’ is closed to new replies.