• This topic has 76 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Why is the manbag on the rise?
  • km79
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43069633

So what makes a bag a manbag?

Mintel senior fashion analyst Tamara Senders likes to keep things simple.

A manbag is “a bag worn by men, including backpacks and other styles such as shoulder bags”, she informs us.

Piss off Tamara! My backpack ain’t no manbag, it’s an Osprey!

newrobdob
    Free Member

Man bags – grrrrrrr. I spoke to one user and they said they keep their wallet and keys in it. What??? Do you not have pockets?

if you’ve got folders/paperwork/laptop to carry then use a suitable bag/case. Otherwise, phone wallet and keys all go in your pockets in jeans/trousers/suit jacket. End of.

zilog6128

WTF? Hope they aren’t paying her much as she hasn’t got a clue! It’s analogous with “handbag”. Clearly doesn’t refer to backpacks :rolleyes:

jekkyl

To keep our lunch in on the way from the house to our place of work. Such nonsense that it is ‘on the rise’
    Unless they mean those little sports branded rectangle ones that have been popularised by eastern europeans and now you see young men with them whilst also wearing comfy jogging pants out of the house.

nickhit3
    Free Member

WGAF?!

newrobdob
    Free Member

And another thing – massive wallets bulging with receipts/cards/loyalty things and are 3 inches thick. Why? I’ve got all the cards I need and mine is slim. If you’ve got 4 different coffee shop loyalty cards you really need to a) stop drinking so much coffee and b) look up what loyalty means in the dictionary and just go to the same one each time! Also put receipts away when you get home, don’t store them in your wallet for 18 months just in case you need to take those underpants back at a moments notice.

DezB
    Free Member

Roadmen innit blud

trail_rat
    Free Member

have you seen the size of the modern phablet(yes thats the word) ….. course they all need manbags to keep them in you cannot stick a phablet in your pocket.

zilog6128

And another thing – massive wallets bulging with receipts/cards/loyalty things and are 3 inches thick.

there’s a great Seinfeld episode about the perils of this 🙂

slowoldman

Smart leather clutch bags have been in common use in Germany for at least 50 years to my knowledge. They are very practical. Wallet keys phone etc. in jeans pockets? Nah. I have one which I used in Saudi (no jeans, no jacket). Admittedly I don’t carry it in the UK.

Freester

One colleague had one on a night out. He got a fair bit of stick. In the end we got out of him what he actually kept in it. Bottle of aftershave and a spare shirt. WTAF.

Male vanity innit.

fasthaggis

Don’t worry too much,it’s very European,so will be outlawed after Brexshit 😉

rOcKeTdOg

this is mine, using recycled inner tubes from http://www.beerbabe.co.uk

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Shorter version:

Man seen yesterday, carrying a bag.  ‘Society’ is largely a myth created by poor journalists.  Here’s some more mythandry and mythogyny to get big tongues wagging from small heads.  No, I don’t have a lisp.  The end.

avdave2

this is mine, using recycled inner tubes

Like it, does it come with the gimp mask or do I need to buy that separately – asking for a friend.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Man bags on the rise”

Welcome to 2007.

Drac

What Malver and Bikebouy said.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Err …. if they are good enough for Indy. They are good enough for you ladies.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

When Mark Carney toted a “soft-sided, long-handled grey bag” GQ says it was a watershed for men’s bags

A watershed? really??

vongassit
    Free Member

Bisphenol a

Mikkel
    Free Member

I bet Tamara would pass out from excitement if she could see the Jean Paul Gaultier rucksack that im using today.

I refuse to call it a man bag though, manbags are those silly little shoulderbags.

sirromj

phablet

A tablet for men with a small ding-a-ling?

trail_rat
    Free Member

a phone for men with poor eye sight i think .

Waderider
    Free Member

I really don’t give a toss what anyone in marketing or fashion is pushing. Scum encouraging pointless over consumption.

(Bad day at work….again).

BigJohn

I had an off down a steep slope and ended up with an a-c separation.  The only lasting effect is a sizeable lump on top of my right shoulder.

This means I can carry a man bag nonchalantly without it slipping off.

If only I had a man bag.

SaxonRider

People use man bags because they’re really bloody handy. Wherever I go, I tend to have not only my wallet and keys, but my phone, a book, a notebook and pen, a pocketknife, and whatever else I may need to carry at a given time.

For all this stuff, I have either a rucksack, or a leather bag that looks a bit like a medieval satchel.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the danger with them is they mark you out as a target for thieves.

Should we attack this tattooed man with large hands who’s carrying an Umbro holdall that’s probably full of Lynx Africa deodorant/condoms/cans of Fosters etc.

Or this man with a limp wrist, and a leather satchel that’s full of Apple, who looks like he’ll hyperventilate rather than throw a punch.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I think the danger with them is they mark you out as a target for thieves.

Should we attack this tattooed man with large hands who’s carrying an Umbro holdall that’s probably full of Lynx Africa deodorant/condoms/cans of Fosters etc.

Or this man with a limp wrist, and a leather satchel that’s full of Apple, who looks like he’ll hyperventilate rather than throw a punch.

.Very much this I believe.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have used various bags that would now be described as a man bag since I was about 13. I can even be found carrying a bag with my wallet and keys in whilst having completely empty pockets!

theotherjonv

in defence – when my kids were born the amount of shite you have to carry around – snacks, nappies, wipes, stuff to entertain them – made a manbag a necessity. And it’s still bloody useful now, for longer days out. Although mine is a cross between a rucksack and a manbag; one strap but goes across the body sort with a phone pocket in front.

CountZero

And another thing – massive wallets bulging with receipts/cards/loyalty things and are 3 inches thick. Why? I’ve got all the cards I need and mine is slim. If you’ve got 4 different coffee shop loyalty cards you really need to a) stop drinking so much coffee and b) look up what loyalty means in the dictionary and just go to the same one each time! Also put receipts away when you get home, don’t store them in your wallet for 18 months just in case you need to take those underpants back at a moments notice.

S’up sweetie, cat pissed on your cornflakes this morning?
    Really, do you actually take notice of this sort of Daily Mail-type click-bait bollocks and take it seriously?
    Really? Shirley you’ve got better things to do with your time.
    Men have been carrying satchel-type bags for a century or more, I’ve got a copy of a WW1/2 canvas gas-mask bag, my dad had an almost identical original one he took his flask to work in, there are similar ones made from canvas and leather, which are copies of Canadian army officer’s bags, then there are courier bags, satchels…
    A ‘man-bag’ is, pretty much by definition one of those little purse-things carried over a shoulder, anything else is just a bag.
    And bulging wallets is hardly a singularly male thing either!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Men have been carrying satchel-type bags for a century or more, I’ve got a copy of a WW1/2 canvas gas-mask bag

Yes, there was once a time and a place when a manbag wouldn’t have left your side. I imagine you’d have a felt a knot in your stomach if you’d forgotten it, knowing you could end up a gas mask away from a painful death.

It’s strange that these bags that once carried gas masks are now used to carry phablets, aftershave, pocket knives and a change of shirt. Essential survival items in tough 21st century Britain? I can sadly imagine that people still feel a knot in their stomach if they forget to take it with them when they leave home in the morning.

bodgy
    Free Member

I’ve always had a Timbuk2 messenger bag for my day to day lugging stuff duties. Probably on about my fourth over the past 25+ or so years. Does this mean that it’s a man bag again? I thought we’d grown out of those sorts of labels? Along with ‘designer stubble’, ffs.

dannybgoode

I carry a man bag with pride. I keep my spare ileostomy bags and associated bits and bobs in it.

Always a fun conversation with a nightclub bouncer. ‘What’s in your bag?’. ‘Err, bags to shit in…’

funkmasterp

I just carry the front door key, one card and my phone if I’m out and about. Carrying them in a bag just seems like a waste of energy (and bag). If you’re carrying lots of stuff for work then use whatever bag suits your needs. I use a messenger style satchel thing when out with the kids or travelling for work.

Drac

Literally will cause a knot in your stomach if you forget your bag then DannyBGoode.

dannybgoode

Yep. Or look for a discarded wine cork 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

Why on the rise ? Because they are really useful , and people including men need a lot of clutter , my handbag contains phone wallet, pen ,cheque book, first aid kit ,keys passport , sewing kit, knife , my migraine drugs , and emergency chocolate and crayons for my boy. http://www.madaboutmountains.co.uk/p/6891/Lowe-Alpine-Flight-Case-Small
    You can’t stuff all that in pockets and it would be a pain to keep transferring all from ordinary jacket to suit and back .

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Drac

Subscriber
    Literally will cause a knot in your stomach if you forget your bag then DannyBGoode.

Posted 51 minutes ago REPLY | REPORT
    Premier Icon
    dannybgoode

Subscriber
    Yep. Or look for a discarded wine cork 🙂

😀

newrobdob
    Free Member

I don’t think a bag like the inner tube one above is a man bag. It’s just a bag. Man bags are those little things about 15cm square things. If you need to carry folders and a laptop around or baby things you have a bag like a courier bag or briefcase. Man bags aren’t any use for useful stuff, they’re just there to carry the stuff normal blokes have in their pockets.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Why is the manbag on the rise?’ is closed to new replies.