Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Why is the inside of my stove wet?
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Afternoon chaps,

I had a steel stove installed a few years back into my conservatory. I’ve burned wood without issue regularly. I’ve recenty switched to smokeless fuel and have noticed that the inside of my stove is rather damp when I come to light it up again. It may have been like this when I was burning wood?

The conservatory has no other heating on and is generally the same temperature as it is outside (unless stove is on….). Today it’s 3’c in there.

I’m thinking it could be condensation given how cold it is in the conservatory? Does this sound normal?

globalti
    Free Member

What’s on top of the flue?

km79
    Free Member

Drunk house guest mistaking it for urinal?

wiggles
    Free Member

Santa’s getting on a bit might have some prostate issues whilst squeezing Down the chimney

neilnevill
    Free Member

My guess would be condensation or rain coming down the flue. I’d leave vents open to get as much draft through as possible but with a cold room and I guess a short flue there won’t be much draw when it’s cold. You could try just a candle inside it, often enough to get a little draw going which hopefully would dry out the condensation.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Cheers folks, looks like condensation rather than rain pouring in. Not sure if the top of the flue is open or not, hard to tell from down below. It’s a full length flue attached to the side of the house. Insulated twin wall.

Will try the candle trick to see if that helps.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The flue if fitted correctly should have a cowl fitted so wont be rain coming down, most likely condensation.

brickwizard
    Free Member

we have had issues with twin wall systems and condensation with the recent cold spell of weather.
    When not in use leave the door open slightly.
    Do you use newspaper to light it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why is the inside of my stove wet?’ is closed to new replies.