Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Why is taking a bike in the train made so bloody difficult?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

^^ some sense there I think. Analogous to airlines charging extra for overweight baggage or sports items.

cakefacesmallblock

Probably not going to be a popular view point but I think if you bring a bike on a train you should pay for it.

To be fair, not unreasonable. However, in that case ( and i’m not talking commuting here, just takin the bike to a different playground),
    I’ll continue to take the car or the van.

cookeaa

I don’t think it’s a terrible suggestion, but I’m not sure

The only real thing would be that it needs to be proportionate, operators should only be allowed to charge for bicycle carriage if they actually make some sort of additional provision for them i.e. a specific bike storage area on the train otherwise what have you paid for the right to block walkways or have your bike fall over?

Also I think if you use a folder that can be stowed underfoot or on a luggage shelf then you should not be charged, as that passenger has no greater space claim than a foot passenger with a bulky rucksack/suitcase.

Nobody who takes a bike on a train really wants to be in the way or have it damaged when 3 others fall on it mid journey, I think cyclists would pay a small extra fee if they were actually getting something more for their money.

Of course the opposite argument is that bicycles should not be charged for as free travel with them encourages people to use the combination of train / bike reducing the use of cars, and all the good stuff that goes with that, obviously where additional provision is made then additional cost is incurred (say on a peak hours commuter service), Where it can be shown to be necessary perhaps operators should be able to agree a cost and apply for a subsidy? That’s gt the DM readers up in arms though…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrAgreeable

I think if you bring a bike on a train you should pay for it.

That’s the way it works in the Netherlands, which is a good idea when up to 50% of the population cycle, as it prevents them being overrun.

Over here, I’m not so sure – after all, if they can accommodate your pushchair or your massive bag it’s not that much of a stretch to get a bicycle in (indeed you could probably fit way more if the storage space on Cross Country trains was properly designed, instead of being a useless little box next to a heater).

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Why is taking a bike in the train made so bloody difficult?’ is closed to new replies.