Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Why is no one showing any interest in my bike…?
  • samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Because it’s hideous. And not worth the money.
    Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it… Not what you expect someone to pay for it.
    As said it’s very mismatched. And as parts you really are taking the piddle a little… But, you will disagree, because “it cost you £x, so it’s worth £xx”.

DanW
    Free Member

Nobody want to buy your used parts for double what they are worth.

Because it’s hideous. And not worth the money.

😀

Sell it on Pinkbike. That way you’ll get your asking price plus and paintball gun, an RC car and some old PS3 games… it’s even better than you could have ever hoped for… well you will until the kiddies stop messing you around and pull out 😉

Or put it on Gumtree and a Nigerian businessman will accidentally send you a cheque for £1,000,000 and ask for a refund of £999,999…

spidersexual
    Free Member

Shows what a bunch of taunts you folk are at times, it has NOT been used, so do not tell me what’s is NEW and what is not ta!

Chap asking, seems to me you would hate it along with others if anyone dare say anything on your for sale threads which we’ve all had to endure Time and time again.

Utterly pointless this forum most of time, I come on here to get away from stuff, not to be met with bull shine from strangers who don’t ride enough but love to come on here instead 🙄

Why isn’t there a **** smiley on the smiley list :mrgreen:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lucien

To the OP, you just need to look here for your smileys………

Lester
    Free Member

Spidey
    a few people are taking the mick a bit, but you are ignoring the fact that you asked why your bike isnt selling, and it seems to be that EVERYONE thinks that you have MASSIVELY overpriced it. you want top money for something that isnt new.
    and seeing as you complain about the users on here and then go onto the thread about “which fs should i get” and then have no positive input i dont think backs up your complaint about the way you think you have been treated on here

dantsw13

For new pricing, you need to be a shop with a returns/warranty service.
    New unused parts are worth 75% of what you paid, RRP is meaningless.
    Anything used but great condition is worth 50% of “what you paid”
    Anything used and a bit worn is worth 30%.

Add it all up and see what it comes to.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Has it sold yet? I am guessing no but some people have offered below asking price offers? If so read into that what you like as you seem incapable of actually listening to some constructive feedback.

I recall you did start this debate by asking everyone why your bike hasn’t sold and yet rather than listening to people you are rebuking them when they offer reasons as to why.

Good luck in your quest to sell but a bit overpriced

hammyuk
    Free Member

Shows what a bunch of taunts you folk are at times, it has NOT been used, so do not tell me what’s is NEW and what is not ta!

Are the parts still in their packaging? NO
    Are the parts spotless and unmarked by tools? NO
    Has the built up bike been ridden? NO YES

It’s NOT new, it’s used whatever way you look at it.
    You might want to ask them to cut your meds since you’ve only ridden it once since coming out of ICU……

ScottChegg
    Free Member

strangers who don’t ride enough

A bit rich from a guy who’s had a bike for 3 months without riding it…

Dango
    Free Member

Is this still for sale?

hora
    Free Member

Why areyou selling it? SS that are pricey tend to look nice and light. Plus I still remember the CRC clear out.

Can you produce a receipt?

st

It seems to me that you’ve taken the time and spent the money putting together a bike that YOU want. That’s great and it’s produced a very personal bike.

This iusnfine if you keep it but if you have a change of heart you end up with something that appeals less to the majority.

You are therefore faced with having to recoup less than you want/need.

Quoting rrp is pointless as the first thing a classifieds buyer will do is compare your not quite new and unwarrantied parts with the mail order outlets.

If you want to sell you’ll need to set your prices based on the mail order competition and not what you may have paid.

Some good pictures of the parts with full descriptions will also help as at the end of the day you’re selling something and need to entice people in.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

It’s not new.. It’s all on a bike that you built. There for making them used. Not new… It’s really not hard logic to understand what everyone has told you surely?

Your “RRP / This is worth” crap is a waste of time.
    That bike is only worth what someone will part cash with.
    For instance, to me, that bike is worth no more than £100. That’s me personally. But that is because, I don’t like it (visually) and I don’t really want another SS… So that’s all I would pay for it. Someone else might like the look, and want a SS so might say they would give you £500.
    See what I’m getting at?

simondbarnes

I think it is overpriced.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I like Curtis as a brand and the bikes it produces, but for me those forks and Bar ends are plain wrong. Those forks look like they should be on a road bike and bar ends look like they belong in last century. Those tyres make it look used and old.

In terms of pricing – I’d look around and see what the cheapest I could get the parts for currently and base it on about 60-75% of that.

Good luck selling it. Personally I’d keep the bike and sell something else – perhaps you kids or car – if you need to raise some capital. The market dictates the price not the seller.

B

Dango
    Free Member

I like it, email me if it’s still for sale

unovolo
    Free Member

I’d probably pay a grand for a build like this

Where everything looks ‘right’.

Had a look on Google and a frame the same as spideys albeit in a smaller size sold for £449 so as said previously break it down and sell individually for the best return.

For example the forks look gopping on that build but built up on a Carbon frame with integrated headset would probably look just right.

superstu
    Free Member

OP I don’t think anyone is trying to taunt you.
    You asked for an opinion and got (a lot of) responses… Just because you didn’t get the response you want no need to throw your toys out of your pram.

It’s a nice frame that will sell on its own but as mentioned the build itself is obscure. Put it on ebay with a reserve if it sells great if not it only cost a few quid to list.

chakaping
    Free Member

Chap asking, seems to me you would hate it along with others if anyone dare say anything on your for sale threads which we’ve all had to endure Time and time again.

I’ve just sold one of my frames, by dropping the price to a realistic level.

😉

I hereby give you exclusive permission to comment on any of my adverts you wish though.

PS. You should feel honoured that your thread has taken on a new life from its original purpose and become an STW classic, like that headset one.

nikk
    Free Member

Exhibit ‘A’:

That double chainset on a S/S basically says you are too lazy to take of a chainring and change the bolts. And it looks horrible.

Same with the dirty tyres, too lazy to clean the bike before selling it.

Same with the advert, comes across lazy.

And the build is lazy and mismatched all round.

If you are too lazy to do all that, how lazy were you with the rest of the build that we can’t see? Did you hammer the CK headset in? Did you cut the steerer with a blunt woodsaw and no guide? Did you use new washers / olives when you shortened the brake hoses?

IMHO you can loose 50% of the street price of the part just by opening the packaging and screwing it to a bike. Bikes and bike parts depreciate really quickly, quicker than cars, quicker than almost anything.

Also, wheel size is not the most current anymore, like it or lump it. Bar ends don’t help the bike look, although I am with you and use them on a practical bike, I’d take em off for a sales photo.

Throwing a strop because this is pointed out numerous times is not worth it. Opinion asked -> opinion given.

climbingkev
    Free Member

A brilliant read. Take the advice and move on.

A quick analogy: if i spent £2700 on a meal with all my favourite ingredients, cooked the way i like, I wouldn’t have the cheek to charge you £1000 for the dirty great steamer that refuses to flush the next morning. That doesn’t mean i didn’t enjoy the meal, just that it wasn’t an investment and you probably wouldn’t have enjoyed it as much. I have strange tastes, you see?

Take or leave the advice, but you should know that if you throw teddies around in here expect some stones to come back!

I hope you recoup what you can.

Kev

DanW
    Free Member

What would STW pay assuming you actually wanted to buy the parts? In the spirit of Christmas and all that can we get a STW consensus on prices? 😀

Frame, CK headset, Salsa seat clamp & Surly chain tugs sell together for £500 posted

Forks – £190 posted

Wheels to include SS kit & tyres – £150 posted

Brakes – £240 posted

Chainset – £250 posted

Frame £300-£350 absolute max for me. It is unique and interesting but not worth more than some of the other steel offering you could buy new. £350 buys a big name used full sus frame secondhand too. I still feel that is a generous price though 😕

Forks £120. Kind of cool but the same forks can be purchased from other manufacturers new for comparable prices, they aren’t all that light in reality and there’s so many good value rigid forks out there at the moment.

Wheels.. maybe £120. Not too overpriced but XT hubs and old generations rims don’t excite me too much.

Brakes £150 at most. Seeing as I bought a full XTR set new for £240 (£300 currently on Merlin before other discounts) and R1’s can be had new for £250-280 there’s no way the asking price is attractive.

Chainset £140 max. It feels a generous price but probably fair to the seller. Again, I bought the same chainset for £150 on CRC so the asking price is ambitious. At the moment there a display one on CRC for £180 (albeit no BB). Whichever way you look at is £250 is very ambitious.

Am I generous or stingy compared to everyone else? 😀

binners

You’ve actually managed something absolutely unique with that build. And it’s quite an achievement!!Previously, all the Curtis frames posted up on here have been beautiful looking things. Works of art in some cases!

That thing, however, is gopping!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That thing, however, is gopping!

It might actually be improved by some old steel on-one forks, at least they’d fit with the ‘look’. Thompson stem and post and it wouldn’t look half bad.

I spent almost as much as you claim on my Pitch which I’m half-arsedly (not) selling for £1100. So how i managed to get a FS bike, lyrics, reverb, gears, and all that jazz for what you managed to spend on a rigid FS I’ve no idea, my SS has more nice bits on it than that and its worth £500 at most! I got it for £550 when the original owner took it for a ride and decided he didn’t like it having spent over a grand on it, so he’d lost a much in one ride as I’ll ever lose if I gave it away! That’s how much bikes depreciate when ‘new’.

cookeaa

TBH I think what the OP was attempting was what is known in the housing market as “flipping” Buying low and either relying on a buoyant market to bump the value up for free, or fixing up the property, a coat of magnolia and a new hob, hoping for a leap in value when a nicely finished property returns to the market… not sure how common this is these days since the arse fell out of flogging houses.

Of course this is bicycle so I don’t think the same scam marketing techniques will work.

Very few people in your target market are likely to be unaware of the rough value of the bike you are presenting for sale and most can operate Google quite deftly to get a better fix on its monetary value.

spidersexual
    Free Member

I actually never had any want to sell but a motorcycle accident has initiated the fact that this is and will go unused by myself.
    Am sick of all negative comments, for those who preach and go onto someone’s for sale thread or other threads to then slate the item is an all time low.

I don’t post comments like that so don’t expect them.

It’s also xmas ffs.

teethgrinder

It’s about trying to help. Like you asked for.

When you can get this for £202.49, new and unused and unfitted and warrantied, you are asking too much.

Merry Xmas!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

don’t post comments like that so don’t expect them.

Sorry to hear youve had an accident, healing vibes, but there is a fairly hefty consensus about your bike and your pricing. Don’t ask a question if you are not prepared for the answer. Simples.

Mantastic
    Free Member

If you didn’t want feedback why ask your question?

If you did a poll of all the responses I recon 80% are telling you it is overpriced. Are you incapable of listening as you are still defending the build and price?

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Slating your item is an all time low? You must live a cherished life mate.

As a few folk have already mentioned, very politely in my opinion, your stuff is over priced and thats all. No need to get stressed about it, chill out and simply re-advertise at 60-70% of your original asking price. If it/they still doesn’t/dont sell knock a bit more of until it does.

Best of luck with your sale, may be an idea to stop slating prospective buyers on this thread though 🙄

bearnecessities

I actually never had any want to sell but a motorcycle accident has initiated the fact that this is and will go unused by myself.

Which one is it? 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/curtis-s1-bike-1

I really don’t want to do this but could do with the money to pay off the overdraft.

Mackem

It;s Xmas FFS! – 🙂

Mantastic
    Free Member

As it’s post Christmas isn’t the tradition that unwanted items hit the sale racks. 30% seems the norm for this time of the year.

bigblackshed

OP. Let’s get a few things straight.

This thread is not your For Sale thread. It’s where you came to ask “why is my bike not selling”. Plenty of people have offered an opinion, some have taken the piss. This is STW. Expect no less. Advice was offered which you rebuked or argued with from page 1. Just because you love your bike it doesn’t mean anyone else has to.

Your for sale threads have been commented on, you may say unfairly, but that goes with the territory of reposting the same things time and again. IT IS NOT SELLING!!!!! Lower the price or put it in the shed and wait for it to become a classic.

You have a VERY niche bike that is not selling. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or so it’s said. To say its unusual is being kind. The bike as a whole is not “worth” what you paid for it. Let alone RRP.

This sale of yours is starting to turn in to the sale thread with the Surly and the gopping shoes.

teethgrinder

It’s irrelevant what you paid when you bought them. What is relevant are the prices they can be bought for now, new, unused and warrantied. I’m fairly sure that was mentioned 1-4 pages back.

tinribz
    Free Member

This place isn’t necessarily the best for benchmarking value. I’ve had no interest in stuff at £300 that’s sold for £450 elsewhere a couple of times.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

As for that comment above re:which one is it, check your inbox and if you’d like to meet up, I’ll put you straight about it alright

I’m beginning to get a whiff of the troll, because NO ONE is stupid and childish enough to make keyboard warrior threats in a forum in 2013, are they? That’s so last decade, right? Or are you getting all meta, arch and ironic and I’m too thick to get it?

Maybe when you grow up you’ll look back on this thread and this saga and cringe. Great value reading, though.

limburger
    Free Member

I don’t want to stir up emotions in any way, but this is quickly becoming the most entertaining thread I’ve seen in ages. 😀

limburger
    Free Member

<pokes the spider>

Mantastic
    Free Member

Fight, fight, fight…….

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Why is no one showing any interest in my bike…?’ is closed to new replies.