Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Why is my wheel so far over?
  • dabble
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’ve borrowed a bike whilst mines out of commision and swapped the semi slicks that were on for some knobblies and now the outer part of the tyre is catching. Not enough to cause any drag or damage but i was just wondering why the wheel seems to be so far to one side. Its running fine through the disk brake too.

IMAG0618

sweepy
    Free Member

simple things first, i’d take the wheel out, check the dropouts arent fouled, then put the wheel back in, making sure it was straight, and fully in the dropouts.

rwc03
    Free Member

Wheel needs to be dished for that frame

dabble
    Free Member

sweepy- ive had it in and out and shook it all about more times than i can recall in the past hour, everything seems to be in order.

rwc03- can you explain “dished” to me please? i’m not very au fait with tech terms. The wheels are the ones that came with the frame as far as i know, when it had the slicks in it ran fine but i suppose they aren’t as wide so i wouldnt notice it anyway.

tazzymtb

Wheel needs to be dished for that frame

more likely the wheel has just been built poorly and the frame together with tighter big tyre tolerances is showing it up more easily. you don’t dish a wheel to a frame unless it’s an offset build for something like a fat bike

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’d agree with the above, it’s a poor wheel build, also the rear Minion is mounted the wrong way round!

dabble
    Free Member

cheers for the replies, i shall swap for thinner tyres then to stop the rub.
    hopefully i’ll get these the right way round 😳

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Tighten all the drive side spokes. (by the same amount each)

possibly slacken all of the non drive side spokes. (by the same amount each)

Its just been poorly made and the dish hasn’t been done correctly. its not massively out though.

I’d be tempted not to loosen any though if you think you can get away with it.

Spin
    Free Member

Tighten all the drive side spokes. (by the same amount each)

possibly slacken all of the non drive side spokes. (by the same amount each)

Whilst this would fix it in the hands of someone who knew what they were upto the OP says he isn’t au fait with tech stuff so I would suggest not trying this!

rwc03
    Free Member

Hi Dabble, hope people above explained it better than more short sentence. Probably best just to run slightly thinner tyres as stated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Why is my wheel so far over?’ is closed to new replies.