Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Why is my clutch squeaking? 1.6hdi 90 16v
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

My Berlingo judders alot when raising the clutch to start the car moving, unless I almost floor it. Also it squeaks at low revs whether idling or driving along slowly, this stops when pressing the clutch pedal. The juddering is alot worse when cold. Please tell me it’s fine!

trail_rat
    Free Member

release bearings gone – thats your squeek that goes when the clutch is pushed down. It probably also goes away when you rest your foot lightly on the clutch.

judder sounds like your clutch is dying.

this is either new ish car (less than 20k?) or about 100k miles.

my dads 2.0hdi mainseal failed and ruined his clutch at 12k and ive heard of a few blingos going at around tht milage and my release bearing went at 94k on my 1.9d or it just gets driven badly :d

good news is due to no DMF if your paying more than 400 to have a new quality clutch , release bearing , mainshaft seal (only use genuine) drive shaft seals (again only use genuine) , clutch cable and gear box linkages fitted your being had.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Suspected so, just that the fact it doesn’t slip was giving me hope the clutch was fine.. any signs it’s about to totally die?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Depending on year: duel mass flywheel/clutch does the same squeak happen when starting turning off the engine?
    What’s the last 8 of the vin no. I’ll check if it has duel mass.
    Clutch bearing is also very common because people have a habit of resting there foot on the clutch causing bearing damage.

cp

listen to chrisdiesel

trail_rat
    Free Member

oops i missed HDI … i saw 1.6 16v and assumed petrol.

that could be expensive either way

+ 1 chris is much mroe qualified than me :d

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers, it’s an early 07, 56 plate mk1, not got the vin number at hand atm

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Chris what’s the reg ? E mail me if you don’t want to put your reg on here?

chrishc777
    Free Member

HK 56 YBO, cheers chris. Will it get loud or give any signs before it explodes? Got a fair few trips planned over the next few weeks

chrishc777
    Free Member

Had a new clutch put in last week and it ran fine until today, the squeaking is back as before. Bloody thing

timba
    Free Member

Squeaking won’t be the release bearing…if you put your foot down on the clutch pedal to engage the release bearing then I’d expect it to squeak, pedal up and the release bearing is no longer engaged and so won’t squeak

Difficult to diagnose a written squeak, I’d be looking at the pedal pivots and linkages, a bit of play, some low-frequency vibration and no lube could cause that

trail_rat
    Free Member

“pedal up and the release bearing is no longer engaged and so won’t squeak”

pedal down and the release bearing is under maximum stress usually makes it quiet – unless its really far gone when it will growl.

Pedal up and its disengaged and is free to move and vibrate on the shaft + squeek IME and its a well documented issue in pugs.

When mines came out both it and the pressure plate were a mess.

i guess it depends if the garage has fitted it correctly. they certainly disturbed something for the noise to go away for a week. Did you see the old clutch or release bearing that they replaced?

It is worth getting them to check the clutch cable is set right – mines was a bit of a pain to get right so that it wasnt loading the clutch when pedal was fully up – but so that it was fully disengaging the clutch when pushed to the floor and not just flopping about at the full extension.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just been back to the garage.

The actuator on the front of the box seems to be the issue. Moving it by hand makes the noise go away, they are quite convinced it’s not the bearing as the noise goes away whichever way you move the actuator, if it was the bearing it’d go away only when moved the way that loads the bearing as mentioned above.

That’s their reasoning, seems quite logical to me. He (a riding buddy of mine) said it’s just the pivot itself and that he can take the box apart and look but if the car was his he’d be perfectly happy driving it as it is.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Why is my clutch squeaking? 1.6hdi 90 16v’ is closed to new replies.