Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Why is my bike creaking?
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

After reading the thread about – A, tall boys and B, noisy bikes

I can’t find my creak, its a carbon tall boy with a freshly greased BB, freshly greased seat post,pedals, skewers (is bolt through though) Ive cleaned, wiped everything. When i built it 2months ago it seemed fine.

But when i pedal my bike makes a noise.

I must of forgotten something, come on, oh wise ones help me. Its driving me MAD.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Saddle rails? Pedalling means movement which can make your saddle creak?

nick1962
    Free Member

How often do you ride your bike?
    Ride it lots and it will go away.

singlespeedstu

Check the pivot axles on the upper link.

twoniner
    Free Member

Knees?

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Yeh, could be knees actually.

I ride the bike about 4 times a week so it does get used.

Top pivot, might try a re grease there. That was my next stop, the linkages.

It’s a Thomson post with a fizik tundra 2, both as old as the bike.

matt_outandabout

What type of creak? Ride it, and video so we can here the sound.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

The creak reverberates in the carbon frame, I can’t video it I’m having dinner.
    But that’s a good idea though, my wife’s carbon tallboy has also just started making a ‘noise’ apparently. But I’m unsure of what type.

singlespeedstu

The only time my TBLTc ever creaks it’s the upper link axles.
    A quick clean, regrease and adjusting the bearings solves it.
    Put the cranks at 6 o’clock and side load the bike from the lower crank with your hand on the upper linkage. If it’s that you’ll be able to feel it.

flashpaul
    Free Member

loose crank bolts perhaps ?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s the inserts in the carbon linkages.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

I’m going for the linkages in the carbon. ‘It’s going get it’ tomorrow.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Do some reading on mtbr. Plenty on it.

smatkins1
    Free Member

It’s certainly a worth while exercise removing the links, cleaning out any crap that’s accumulated and tightening the axles to a sensible torque.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Either linkages, as pretty common cause on most SC’s, unless it’s got a Renthal Duo stem?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Saddle rails? Pedalling means movement which can make your saddle creak?

+1

I had this issue, drove me crazy it did, friend suggested saddle rails, loosened and re-tightened, Creek disappeared!

breadcrumb

Chain ring bolts?

taxi25
    Free Member

Rear mech hanger bolts loose. That was mine 😯

jekkyl

yup my next guess would be grease all round the mech hanger and tighten it up good n proper. and/or pedals? pedals is easy one to diagnose, swap with a mates pair or an old set you probably have hanging about.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My last creak was a cracked alloy freehub body.

mildred

My last creak was cured by removing, cleaning all surfaces & refitting the removable dropouts. I ensured they were dirt & grease free then re-torqued them with a bit of threadlock.

Nobby

+ 1 mech hanger

Last creaks on my FS and my roadie were both cured by removing, cleaning and refitting the hangers.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I cured the creak on my CX bike last week, I could have sworn it was coming from the BB, turned out to be the headset. A quick strip and clean where the bearings sit in the frame and problem sorted.

lunge

Saddle rails are a good shout. My roadie saddle, a well loved Flite had been silent for thousands of miles and 3 year yet suddenly developed an annoying creak. Even more annoyingly I can’t stop said creak.

TexWade
    Free Member

Second for crank bolts (ie the two little bolts which attach left crank to BB spindle) which seems to have cured mine. The creak seemed much worse in the small/front chainring – not really sure why that was.

JohnnyPanic

A recent one of mine, which was driving me mad on a new bike, and which I assumed at first had to be the press fit BB actually turned out to be cracks around the polycarb bashguard mount holes – so chainring bolts were a bit loose.

globalti
    Free Member

If it’s got a BB30 chainset the alloy axle might be fretting inside the steel bearing inners. A smear of bearing fit compound will sort it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

My Ti Pickenflick creaked almost since new, well the BB did which was put down to being a crappy GXP thingy. I fitted it squeaky clean dry and slathered in grease and everything in between. Oil, chainlube, 3 in 1, thin grease, copper grease, thick grease, you name it. Everything but bacon fat. I torqued it too much, not enough and correctly. I swapped pedals, chain rings and bolts. Everything.
    Grr. On Saturday I swapped the freewheel . Creak gone. This morning I put the old one back on. Creak still gone.
    No idea what I did, suspect a bit of muck between the sprockets. It did come from Planet X you see.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Why is my bike creaking?’ is closed to new replies.