• This topic has 93 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Why is everyone getting up in arms about the Indonesian executions ?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Think of it as evolution in action

Dying at the hands of a draconian judicial system is many things but evolution is not one of them.

Not quite

It says it is more expensive

chewkw
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    … but my view on the Indonesian thing is the simple underclass motto ‘don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time’

Most people don’t understand that hence they think the world should follow their ways of thinking so got themselves into trouble.

A good friend of mine served 7 years in the notorious Japanese prison system for drugs offences.. they have an abysmal human rights record and the time he spent there was incredibly harsh..
    He’s a reformed character these days

They have broken him by the sound of it … 😮

parkesie
    Free Member

Mike a chart to disprove my full quote would be of instances of reoffending with the death penalty and without.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

parkesie why don’t you find something that says the death penalty works too.
    http://nccadp.org/issues/deterrence/

Yet, according to the N.C. Department of Justice, the state murder rate has declined in the years since executions stopped. Given this fact, there is no credible argument that the death penalty deters crime.

In fact, most people on death row committed their crimes in the heat of passion, while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or while suffering from mental illness. They represent a group that is highly unlikely to make rational decisions based on a fear of future consequences for their actions. The idea that the death penalty has the power to stop murder is naive and clearly proven false by the facts. Studies that have shown the death penalty reduces crime have been discredited by rigorous research.

piemonster

Mike a chart to disprove my full quote would be of instances of reoffending with the death penalty and without.

In the U.S.

What’s the murder rate, and what’s the execution rate. How many potential reoffenders are actually removed from the equation.

And that’s before you get onto the topic of executing people who haven’t committed an offence “worthy” of execution. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

DrJ

What’s a bit worrying is that I’m not sure this is a joke 🙁

hora
    Free Member

We are talking about Heroin right?

yunki
    Free Member

They have broken him by the sound of it

naaah… he’s literally been re-formed which is a pretty good thing in a lot of ways

He was pretty Ghengis Khan before, he’s much more Charlie Chaplin now (and I mean that in the most complimentary of ways)

br
    Free Member

Or in the US the death penalty is immediate depending on the colour of your skin.

What era are you living in ? 1970 something ?

Colour AND wealth are the key dividers.

“Our basic rights are now determined by our wealth or poverty”

BoardinBob

I struggle with long sentences but anyone that believes the death penalty is a deterrent is scarily deluded.

If it was a deterrent, why do people continue to commit crimes that are punishable by death?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The comparison is the states with and the states without and we can see [ well everyone but you obviously] that the two track each other pretty much with the non death penalty states have the fewest murders.What it suggests is that the death penalty has no deterrent affect as shown by the fact you have more murders in states with it. How you spin this is going to be brilliantly funny isn’t it. Cant wait.

JY. An alternative explanation to yours. The lowest murder rate states are those with the lowest crime rates due to, for example social and economic factors. They don’t need the death penalty. The highest crime states need a strong deterrent as otherwise the murder rates would be much higher.

It’s like a chart which shows umberalla usage and rainfall, which is cause and which is effect ?

hora
    Free Member

We are talking about smuggling Heroin right? They weren’t smuggling DVD’s or fluffy Kittens.

footflaps

What era are you living in ? 1970 something ?

People still drive around today in the Southern States with a miniature noose hanging from their rear view mirror in their car…..

nickc

If people are interested in US “justice” on death row, I can highly recommend a book called Killing Time by David R Dow, a lawyer who spends his time taking on cases of death row inmates.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Why is everyone getting up in arms about the Indonesian executions ?’ is closed to new replies.