Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Why is dental pain so much less tolerable than other pain?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

I have what I think is an abscess under one of my teeth and I cant get to see the dentist until tomorrow. In reality the pain level is probably not much more than a 5/10, but it feels like a 9/10 for some reason. It’s less painful than cracked ribs or a sprained ankle, but it’s much more difficult to deal with. 🙁

Thankfully I have enoguh strong painkillers to see me through. So if I spout more nonsense than usual it’s not my fault.

digga
    Free Member

It’s right by your brain.

IIRC there’s a meditation trick that allows people to live in different bits of their body but, somehow, I doubt it works with your brain. Unless you’re say Donald Trump.

crankboy
    Free Member

Because you need nerves in your teeth so you can tell how hard you are biting etc to control how you chew and avoid damaging your teeth . But because your teeth need to be really hard your dental nerves need to be really sensitive to register anything going on in your mouth.

Hope this helps.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

IIRC there’s a meditation trick that allows people to live in different bits of their body

No, it’s ok, there’s loads of room where wan’s brain is supposed to be. 😛

lemonysam
    Free Member

I don’t mind tooth pain nearly as much as ear pain. I would gnaw off my own toes rather than have some of the ear infections I had as a kid again.

amedias
    Free Member

and none of it, I mean NONE of it compares to having a really ouchy spot on the inside of your nose 🙁

kcal

hot – really quite hot – salt water. And whisky.

But yes, I’ve suffered mightily from accesses in the past and other crap, and tooth pain is so immediate – closer to the brain – not way to apply pressure r anything to distract..

paul4stones

It’s because of the position of the relevant sensory nerves on the homunculus.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve always put it down to the fact you’re stuck in a seat and can’t move so you have to sit there and take it. With other sorts of pain you can usually move around, scream, or do something to mentally take your mind off the pain rather than just sit there and endure it. Also it’s the type of pain that goes through you like nails down a chalk board too.

The most painful thing i’ve had to endure is when I nearly took the top couple or so mm off the end of one of my fingers when I tried to get all cheffy with a Mandolin. Excruciating, throbbing, vomit inducing, nearly passing out kind of pain, for about 48 hours.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Why is dental pain so much less tolerable than other pain?’ is closed to new replies.