Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Why is a lot of commuter gear black?
  • pipnet1
    Free Member

Following from the ‘Why do lots of riders wear black?’ thread. OK a lot of waterproof jackets are yellow/pink/orange/whatever, but why is everything else either dark or black.

I find that unless its actually raining, waterproof jackets are horrible. So I’ve been trying to find something like a soft-shell that has the same ‘look at me Mr driver’ reflective stuff, and is a suitably horrid colour, but have so far failed.

Any thoughts?

Or anyone fancy pointing me in the direction of the huge range of stuff that I’ve somehow missed? (It wouldn’t surprise me if that happens)

trail_rat
    Free Member

endura exo or thermo in lumo yellow.

i tend to just chuck a hiviz vest over what ever im wearing while commuting. removes any ambiguity as to wether i was actually trying to be seen

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

So it doesn’t show so much of the grime you inevitably pick up over time.

binners

So we is, like, ninja braaaa, innit?

MSP

Some of the outdoor gear manufacturers do some pretty vivid colour clothing, which would be quite suitable for commuting. Check out haglofs for some particularly lurid offerings.

timb34
    Free Member

Not a full softshell, just pertex, but the polaris rbs jacket is v bright:

http://road.cc/content/review/47659-polaris-rbs-jacket

D0NK

Only got one jacket that’s black, sods law states it’s the most versatile and comfy one 🙄 most stuff seems to be red/blue if not full on yellow/orange.

But yeah bright jackets look filthy pretty quick, I don’t care but maybe manufacturers think riders don’t want to have to wash their kit every other day or look scruffy gets if they don’t.

I find that unless its actually raining, waterproof jackets are horrible.

unless it absolutely torrential waterproof jackets are horrible. Don’t actually own one at the moment.

tonyd

I have one of theseand one of these . The Sugoi one is very bright. I also wear some of these

And lots of lights.

Northwind

TBF I’m not convinced it makes any bloomin difference, considering 250kg of motorbike and rider with full beams, hi viz jacket, and earthshaking exhaust is apparently invisible to the average driver. The only time people ever see you is when they want to shout at something.

But, still, I wear visible clothes- at least when someone doesn’t see me, it’s not because I’m a ninja.

cookeaa

I dunno, I’ve got plenty of non-black kit, I rode in today in a Red jersey, white arm warmers and my rucksack had a bright Yellow HiViz cover on it…

it does seem like more shorts, leggings and leg/knee warmers come mostly in black, but then even those can be found in alternative colours…

D0NK

Northwind unfortunately has a point, we’re stuck in the shitty situation of festooning ourselves in lights and high vis but still getting smidsy-ed and coming to the conclusion “nothing I do makes any difference” but if we are knocked off then “oooh you didn’t have any pedal reflectors, contributory negligence right there!”

will
    Free Member

A High Vis gilet is always a good option and means you don’t sweat too much.

Lifer
    Free Member

Or buy cheap hi-vis vests, unpick and put the reflective bits on your comfy ninja clothes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Any thoughts?

You haven’t looked very hard?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member
    PrinceJohn

I prefer the stealthy look so the drivers cant see you to run you down…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Why is a lot of commuter gear black?’ is closed to new replies.