Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Why I'm thinking single speed fully rigid bikes are good
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

They make my boringly easy local rides fun (and hard) again. There’s no better reason 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

They are Teh Awesomest….that’s a far better reason.

aa
    Free Member

true dat.

They are original awsomeness.

tmb467
    Free Member

Changing fashions – if you’re a fat lad who likes pies and beer and isn’t very fit then they’re not a good thing

If you’re a 10st whippet and you’ve got a hardtail and a 5.5 inch AM and a cyclocross and a road bike and an 8″ DH bike then it’s something different

If you can only have one bike then don’t have a single speed rigid cos its like going back 30 yrs before gears and suspension were invented. May as well get rid of your smartphone and laptop too

singlespeedstu

They iz for attentionhoorz innit.

WTF is a smartphone and a laptop? 😉

tmb467
    Free Member

Tbf, my first mountain bike was a Raleigh M-trax rigid bike with 18 gears and canti brakes and it made me fitter and I picked up a lot of technical skills

But I wouldn’t want to swap back now

cynic-al
    Free Member

What stu said. Only for bellends.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some aspects of technology are good , suspension is one of them

singlespeedstu

Highfivez fellow bellend al.

tmb467
    Free Member

WTF is a smartphone and a laptop

They’re like new fangled typewriters with electrickery and weefee and internets

singlespeedstu

Sounds a bit like witchcraft to me.

fenred
    Free Member

Only for bellends

*tick* 😉

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Bell ends……… Snigger

aa
    Free Member

are they like bar ends?

JRTG
    Free Member

I agree, they also make you seem 2 feet taller and of course much cooler than the other people on bikes with geary type growths.

singlespeedstu

aa – Member

are they like bar ends?

Very much so.

Full of function but the MBUK boyz hate them.

tmb467
    Free Member

Aesthetically beautiful – in the right hands

Without the right hands they’re as much use as a bar end on a road bike

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

JRTG-what is the first bike?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The only thing worse?

Tilt shift/instagram effects.

tmb467
    Free Member

Arf

gasyz
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a cheap kona unit,simply to save my other full suss geared bikes in good nick through this bad wet winter.I didn’t like it to start with, but after 6 really muddy wet rides I’m starting to gel, and like the challenge of my normally boring local loops.I can go and thrash around for an hour or two, get totally knackerd and give it a quick swill with the hose.job done.

boxelder

Was just mulling over switching SS stuff to the scandal 29er, with rigid forks from parts bin.
    Kismet, bell end, yada yada

Vortexracing

I’ve just bought a cheap kona unit,simply to save my other full suss geared bikes in good nick through this bad wet winter.I didn’t like it to start with, but after 6 really muddy wet rides I’m starting to gel, and like the challenge of my normally boring local loops.I can go and thrash around for an hour or two, get totally knackerd and give it a quick swill with the hose.job done.

IMAG0222 by eastham_david, on Flickr

just like me, just about to try this new fangled 29″ thing with a Kona unit as well.

SS, fully rigid, 29er will be truly awesome 😉

JRTG
    Free Member

Cynic-al, not Instagram, sorry, will try harder next time!

Groundskeeper, it’s a niner one 9, lovely machine if a little harsh

mattjg
    Free Member

What kind of idiot would throw away 30 years of ‘progress’ and ride a clown-wheeled ungeared unbounced bike, just like when they were kids? That means they can stop fiddling with technology and just go ride their bikes!

What a bunch of ****.

mattjg
    Free Member

4 guys went night riding in Surrey last night. Conditions were a tad claggy. The 2 on front-squishy dangly-equipped 26ers went home in a grump after an hour, whining about chainsuck and no traction. The 2 on big wheels (3×29″ wheels between them), singlespeed and rigid got 2 hours riding in, burnt a bunch of calories, then retired to the pub for tasty pints and a natter.

True story that.

tazzymtb

only for cocks, everyone knows that you have to be gnar to the power of radsik and have at least 5″ of travel or you’ll die on any trailmincers centre in the UK.

cardo

Have tried this old fangled new recipe in the last 6 months and love Singlespeeding for it’s simplicity and big wheels for rolling blah blah blah.. but rigid forks have now been replaced with a set of Fox’s bouncing plushness… I honestly found with rigids all the lovely carried speed was pretty F’in horrible when descending downhill and had a few close ‘uns. So made the switch back to bouncers and love riding my bike more for it….
    Just my two pence worth.

belugabob
    Free Member

if you’re a fat lad who likes pies and beer and isn’t very fit then they’re not a good thing

Unless – like me – you want to stop being a fat lad.
    It also teaches you things about cadence, momentum & picking lines, so your skills should improve too.
    Add in the low maintenance in the winter aspect, and you can only call it a win.
    (Mine does flex at the front, but that’s because of the suspension, rather than the number of pies consumed 😉 )

gasyz
    Free Member

Just use mine for for what it is.cheap basic way of some winter training in the mud.If I want to big drops and fast techy downhills I’ll use my 150mm full suss.I wouldn’t have a ss rigid as my only bike but as a second bike (or third in my case)they’re Gr8.I’ve been out every day this week with no cleaning,try doing that on a full suss geared bike and watch it sieze up before your eyes.I can’t do all the knarly tracks or a 80k xc rides on it but when the better weather comes I’ll be all the fitter for it.

singlespeedstu

I can’t do all the knarly tracks or a 80k xc rides on it

That’s down to the rider not the bike. 😉

gasyz
    Free Member

Maybe down to me but I simply don’t enjoy trying to ride a rigid off 4ft plus drops and knarly downhills.Doing an uplift day tomorrow at Revolution bike park,and riding my kona unit would simply ruin the day for me.SS rigids are Gr8 for what they are, but there are better bikes out there.Each to there own though.

singlespeedstu

4ft drops and knarly downhills all in the same ride.

AWSUM. 😉

tails
    Free Member

Winner = http://vimeo.com/6403750

If anyone wants to swap my 17.5″ simple for their 16″ simple, I might listen.

firestarter
    Free Member

Is knarly a word or is it some mbukism ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s a raddism I thinks.A derivation of Gnarley from the olde english gnarrlee,literally -to shred the gnarr.

singlespeedstu

I believe it was first recorded in the doomsday book.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ah I see I’ve a colleague that uses it too , always makes me chuckle but he also likes mbuk , thus colleague rather than friend 😉

singlespeedstu

Shredding the knarly is how William the Conqueror used to describe trotting over a piece of smooth track on his long travel horse.

Dancake
    Free Member

Does anyone run a SS as their only bike.>? I would probably go 32-16 (or even 18 to begin with)

After ripping a mech off recently, I was going to give it a go but its the 5 miles of road before I get to the woods that puts me off… (I dont often have the luxury of the car)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Why I'm thinking single speed fully rigid bikes are good’ is closed to new replies.