Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Why haven't you got a Facebook account?
  • geoffj

I’ve managed until now without one, but I can’t help feeling there is stuff I’m missing out on.

Why don’t you have one?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Not at all interested

johnners
    Free Member

Privacy is important to me.

zimbo
    Free Member

I’ve managed until now without one, but I can’t help feeling there is stuff I’m missing out on

You could apply that equally to not having the opposite gender’s genitalia, but on reflection you might be better sticking with what you know.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I joined myspace back in the day and it was utter shite and i dont have any reason to believe facebook wont be more of the same

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s nothing like myspace

Jamie
    Free Member

Just don’t feel the need. Twitter is pitched just at the right level of social interaction I want to have with people.

mattsccm
    Free Member

What’s it for?
    As far as I can see all that happens is that people gossip in public. I do that in the pub or on the phone. I do often wonder about why I mess about here.

geoffj

You could apply that equally to not having the opposite gender’s genitalia, but on reflection you might be better sticking with what you know.

Interesting analogy 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s nothing like myspace

Is it not? I’ve managed until now without one a myspace account, but I can’t help feeling there is stuff I’m missing out on.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

My missus won’t let me have one in case women from my past inbox me whatever that means!

loddrik
    Free Member

For a miserable **** like me who has no friends as a matter of choice, it is utterly pointless. if I have friend who are up to something I would be remotely interested in, I’ll know first hand. I can’t stand the way people post pics of themselves with a view to showing everyone what a wonderful glamorous life they are leading, when the truth is obviously some distance away.

Plus I am a very private person, why would I want people I don’t know and have and will never meet to see anything about my life. The wife knows to keep me and my life well away from her Facebook account.

Absolutely appalling invention

boxfish
    Free Member

Because I’m a miserable git who isn’t interested in the ins-and-outs of everyone’s business.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Left in December.

Reason: waste of time.

donsimon
    Free Member

Plus I am a very private person, why would I want people I don’t know and have and will never meet to see anything about my life.

Isn’t this just the popular misconception?
    A bit of investigation on here would reveal quite a bit about who you are and due to the lack of privacy settings here, more people have access than would have if you set the privacy settings correctly on facebook.

timc
    Free Member

ashleydwsmith – Member

My missus won’t let me have one in case women from my past inbox me whatever that means!

It means your pathetic & do as your missus tells you 😈

timc
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

For a miserable **** like me who has no friends as a matter of choice, it is utterly pointless. if I have friend who are up to something I would be remotely interested in, I’ll know first hand. I can’t stand the way people post pics of themselves with a view to showing everyone what a wonderful glamorous life they are leading, when the truth is obviously some distance away.

Plus I am a very private person, why would I want people I don’t know and have and will never meet to see anything about my life. The wife knows to keep me and my life well away from her Facebook account.

Absolutely appalling invention

We have read your footy posts, we know enough already! 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I have a fake account in a stupid name so I can manage some marketing stuff for events. You can’t use corporate sites without your own account. I have to confess I have turned off most of the drivel that comes through. So I am kind of on Facebook, but not on Facebook, like Leonard Cohen.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I don’t have it as i have no use for it, but i can see how it could be a good way of keeping in contact with distant friends/family. Its sad seeing the people who’s life seems to revolve around it telling people what they’ve had for breakfast and what they are doing every hour throughout the day.

I think its slowly creating a generation of social retards 😐

loddrik
    Free Member

Isn’t this just the popular misconception?
    A bit of investigation on here would reveal quite a bit about who you are and due to the lack of privacy settings here, more people have access than would have if you set the privacy settings correctly on facebook.

Other than what I volunteer on here, you know very little. Certainly not what I get up to day by day, or my family, etc etc.

And you wouldn’t want to anyhow as its all pretty boring, and that’s just the way I like it. Plus I’m really not interested in what strangers are interested in, no matter how, ahem, ‘glamorous’ their lives are….

donsimon
    Free Member

And you wouldn’t want to anyhow as its all pretty boring, and that’s just the way I like it.

You are aware that it’s not obligatory to share the intimate details of your life with the people you choose to share them with, aren’t you?

I hardly post on FB, but find it quite an easy way to catch up with folks in Spain and can give a feeling of being part of a group of friends rather than splintered pairings.

magowen100
    Free Member

I’m on it but hardly use it. My pet peeve at the moment is that a few friends/family have started thier own small businesses so I keep getting marketing updates from them but it doesn’t take long to de-friend them. I do feel its reaching a turning point as once I start getting sold to on it I’ll just leave.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Originally the whole thing irked me and I just imagined the whole thing was for annoying idiots.

Now I’m a bit more relaxed towards it but I’ve got lots of accounts for various things (Foursquare, Twitter etc.) that I don’t use that much and I can’t be bothered to sign up for another one.

I downloaded the Instagram app for my phone and I’ve never got further than the ‘sign up’ screen for the same reason.

loddrik
    Free Member

You are aware that it’s not obligatory to share the intimate details of your life with the people you choose to share them with, aren’t you?
    I hardly post on FB, but find it quite an easy way to catch up with folks in Spain and can give a feeling of being part of a group of friends rather than splintered pairings.

You’re not convincing me, I’m a lost cause…

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve got a STW account….. 😕

donsimon
    Free Member

You’re not convincing me, I’m a lost cause…

I’m not trying to convince you, each to their own and all that.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just as well..

binners

My Space? Get with the programme grandad!!!! 😀

Well I had a cracking ride on Tuesday with a lot of other ner’do’wells that was posted up on the STW Bikers Facebook page

ask1974
    Free Member

Plus I am a very private person, why would I want people I don’t know and have and will never meet to see anything about my life.

Why should you give anything away? I think this is a popular misconception. I used to think it was hideous but eventually I opened an account, hardly ever post anything but I do visit often, I have friends and family (some overseas) whom we rarely see and they use it a lot. I might think that much of what they post is pretty pointless but you do get to see what they’re up to and it keeps you connected in an electronic kind of way.

I think there comes a tipping point where it’s better to be in than out, even if you don’t contribute anything. Once you get used to this it’s pretty useful. I’m sure it’ll get replaced by something further down the line but for the time being why not?

If your friends or family don’t use it then it has nothing to offer, but if they do then it adds another dimension to your social communication, whether you choose to use it or not is up to you.

mildred

Because it is the root of all evil.

I had a facebook account when it 1st started and was getting a huge number of people asking to be my friend. NO, **** OFF, I do not know you, nor wish to know you, you bunch of weirdos!

It is startling how many ‘incidents’ either start or are continued on facebook. Bullying is huge on there and as mentioned in a different thread, it made me sick to the stomach to find that some poor family discovered their only son had died on it. It is evil, intrusive, and should be banned.

CountZero

I’m with Don Simon on this one, I don’t post up much, apart from photos for my friends to see, but it’s a great way to keep up with scattered friends and family.
    It’s also become my default source of info from a great many people in music, literature and arts, which was always a struggle on MySpace, but is very easy to use on Fb. MySpace shot itself in the ass by sticking with Flash when most of its customer base were using mobile devices which don’t handle Flash. On Fb it’s dead easy for musicians to post up music from Soundcloud and Bandcamp, and for fans to communicate directly with the artist.
    I discovered a great local band at a little festival last weekend, and went onto their Fb site, where a link took me to their Bandcamp page where I could download and play tracks from their new EP.
    Yes, I could get it from iTunes, but from their Fb/Bandcamp page I could, and did, download a FLACK or ALAC (Apple Lossless) file, five tracks for three quid.
    After watching the new video I asked on Fb where it was filmed, as parts looked like Savernake Forest. A very quick reply said it was, and other shots of the band were at Wroughton Airfield, which is what I suspected.
    I have no private details on Fb, and neither does anyone I know, because we’re not stupid.
    It’s a convenient communication tool, that’s all it is..

peteimpreza
    chewkw
    Free Member

Nope … never going to have one.

“No” friends … 😆

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve got an account, but rarely use it. It has some use to me for various MTB-related activities, but that’s as far as it goes. I still can’t see the massive attraction, and the valuation placed on it in the recent listing was laughable.

No animosity to people using it, just not particularly for me.

project
    Free Member

A chap i knew in his late 2o,s had an account and would brag he had so many new cyber Freinds every time i saw him, he just lost a real freind soon after, ME.

argoose
    Free Member

I used it to trace an old mate I lost touch with, He joined Navy I joined Army.
    Still active but not used much, still trying to find another old mate who went to Uni.
    Apart from that not too bothered with it.

Duggan

I binned mine off a while ago and haven’t missed it at all.

I don’t have anything against it but for me personally if my friends are arranging stuff than it’s all done through texts, phonecalls or emails, never via Facebook so it’s no biggy really.

It was quite useful for viewing photos of stag do’s weddings etc that I’d been on but I don’t feel that it’s worth having an account for that reason alone.

I think it’s like a lot of social media in that if you put in the effort and use it in a proactive way it’s probably a great tool but I could never be arsed so it was just a dormant account listing the news and opinions of loads of people I barely know. Which was great in a voyeuristic way but ultimately I have far too many ways to waste time on the internet, so could do without that as well.

To the OP, if you’ve managed without an account up til now then you’re probably not missing anything at all.

CountZero

I value my privacy and this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-18351855

And your point is, caller?

andyt1054
    Free Member

Because a lad i locked up tried adding me as a friend a few weeks later . . . . 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

I do, but I only really use it for band-related stuff. I browse it fairly frequently but rarely post anything unless it’s to do with Chasing Glass.

wow, look how many fans we have! a whole 45! (plus another 65 elsewhere)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Why haven't you got a Facebook account?’ is closed to new replies.