Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • why have i been driving to wales
  • easygirl

when there is a fantastic trail centre on my doorstep
    been to gisburn forest today, what a great trail, its still a bit unfinished, but the trails are great, flowing twisty downs, with some nice board sections
    what more could i ask for 30 mins from home

Elsa
    Free Member

Hi

I have just moved to Preston and would be keen to ride there.

Is it easy to find from the A59? Could you give me some basic directions?

Do you know of any other local riding spots?

Cheers
    Elsa

crazy-legs

There's a whole host of great natural riding round there as well, don't feel you have to restrict yourself to Gisburn!

Elsa: Yes, it's easy to find, follow the signs for Slaidburn then Gisburn Forest.
    Living in Preston there's the obvious Bogtrotters (based in Lancaster), simonfbarnes on here is the main contact for them http://www.bogtrotters.org and I know there's at least a couple of other clubs round that way the names of which escape me at the moment. That'll be the best approach to riding in new areas.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neil853
    Free Member

Blackburn and district (BAD) riders is another and blazing saddles over in Hebdurn Bridge (sp?) is yet another, i moved to preston just over a year ago and there's loads!

i'm part of the brownbacks team (www.brownbacksracing.co.uk) that organise an xc series near us too in Lee Quarry near Bacup. We have a specific womans category and if you need some tuition Ed Oxley on here does some skills courses! (home page right at the top)

neil853
    Free Member

oh and a few of us are riding guisburn thursday night if you fancy a ride out

Junkyard
    Free Member

elsa not forgetting rivvington/Darwen area for the more natural stuff. Also the closest to Preston my e-mail in profile if you want a trip round Rivvy cycle either tuesday or weds night whatever the weather with a few others from STW.

neil853
    Free Member

Junkyard i'd be up for that! you out next week one night? my light has arrived now

2hottie
    Free Member

Also from Preston, lots of nice riding around this way, as many above have stated Gisburn and Rivvy as well as all the other Pennine routes. So I am in the Peaks in an hour as well as the lakes and Yorkshire isn't much further! Other clubs are the Groovy tribe an Bogtrotters who are nice. A few of our friends are riding in Gisburn on Thursday evening.. more the merrier I say..

Also there is a dig on this sunday in the forest and fingers crossed we may have another section almost finished! Ps 10 am till 2pm or whenever you like.

Enter the forest via School lane and follow the road down to the main bridge.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Nicky Nook, Longridge, Great Hill, Darwen Moor, White Coppice, Rivington, Edenfield, Worsthorne etc etc

just move the mouse over this map and see the routes pop up:
    map, then zoom in for detail 🙂

… or just come Bog Trotting 🙂

D0NK

Ooooh I like that map thing simon, very clever, will be pinching/taking inspiration from even more of your routes now 🙂

twinklydave

I didn't realise that many riders lived in preston!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ooooh I like that map thing simon, very clever, will be pinching/taking inspiration from even more of your routes now

you're welcome – you can just type in a place name below, or a postcode, and it will zoom in to OS 50000:1 maps etc

I didn't realise that many riders lived in preston!

about 20 Bog Trotters for a start!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We went over to Gisburn Forest on monday, not with the bikes (cos i'm injured) but just for a peek.
    We got to Tosside & went down the little track at the side of the Dog & Partridge pub where there was a sign saying 'new bike trails' – is his the right place?
    We went along there, past what looked to be a FC work station and then came to a sign saying 'no public access' at a fork in the roadway, straight ahead it was a footpath and the road turned to the left.

Didn't go any further, were we in the right area?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Didn't go any further, were we in the right area?

if you go in the pub landlord Tim will set you right 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ta Simon – when i saw the sign 'bed, beer & bike' i thought it was going to be a good pub!

neil853
    Free Member

preston needs a bike shop!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

uh, Dribble Cycles ?

2hottie
    Free Member

Preston does have some bike shops just they are aimed at either road or the average Joe biker. Leisure lakes has a Preston postcode an Merlin does I think? You could open one yourself as I am sure it will be busy! I have Ribble close to me but never use it due to the road bike nature to it.

Ride Gisburn in a figure of 8 starting from Cocklets hill heading towards the volunteer bit near school lane

neil853
    Free Member

Ribble is massively road based obviously which is ok for getting cheap stuff but not somewhere i enjoy going into.

LL preston hasn't been reliable shall we say and merlin are only concerned with mail order, not face to face customer service.

haven't long been out of the industry, don't want to go back! ha ha

grumm
    Free Member

'Preston' Leisure Lakes is miles away from Preston! Merlin are in Chorley I think.

It's only an hour or so to Staveley from Preston innit? Lots of good riding to do from there.

Agree that Gisburn is a welcome addition to the options though.

2hottie
    Free Member

Grumm your right Preston LL is miles away, around 10 or so. As for Merlin they aren't to good at face to face Customer service, ie it's like I pissed on their chips by being in the shop at times! anyway they are a million times better than Leisure lakes who are VERY poor when it comes to service. Preston could do with a decent bike shop such as Wheelbase in the lakes.

lowey

Preston could do with a decent bike shop such as Wheelbase in the lakes.

Preston could do with a bulldozer. 😛

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘why have i been driving to wales’ is closed to new replies.