Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Why have cameras gone all big and flat?
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

GrahamS. Wouldn’t catch me using a tablet for photos. Lol! I’ve got an iphone….

CountZero

When I’m outdoors, with a view to take photos, I use my iPhone and my Lumix TZ30, and occasionally I’ll have a small courier bag with me to carry my binoculars and an emergency waterproof, in which case I’ll stick the pad in there as well, along with the camera kit. Not having to worry about the phone photos, because of Photostream, I’ll copy the camera photos onto the pad, then I can edit them and bin the crap ones, and they’re all on Photostream together. Works beautifully, and the pad’s screen is perfect for looking back over older photos.
    I’ve got about 3000+ on mine…
    As I said earlier, an iPad, with a good camera app, mounted on a tripod, would be like using a plate camera, but it’s horribly impractical for general usage.
    A Mini would be a good compromise, though…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think that’s the crux of it. the images area petty crude unless only viewed on a small screen or at web resolution, these are not being taken to be printed in a panoramic canvas print, they’re snapshots to amuse friends and family on Facebook. No sane photog would swap them but no sane day tripper would carry a DSLR and bag of lenses to stick 20+ MP images into a social networking site.

GrahamS

he images area petty crude unless only viewed on a small screen or at web resolution

Don’t forget that at 2048×1536 pixels the iPad is actually much higher resolution than most desktop PCs.

no sane day tripper would carry a DSLR and bag of lenses to stick 20+ MP images into a social networking site

Yep – but I think the question was why would they lug a tablet about when a cheap compact camera or their phone does a much better job without the backache?

coffeeking
    Free Member

screen might be better, and when you have a noisy pap photo and compress it down to a small physical size the apparent quality rises. That’s why most people get drawn in by phone/pad makers claiming good cameras and it looks ace on the. native screen, then you blow it up to monitor size and its shockingly bad.

They lug the pad because it offers a better all round experience and would be taken anyway?

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Why have cameras gone all big and flat?’ is closed to new replies.