Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Why has 'pulled Pork' appeared everywhere?
  • RustySpanner

hora – Member

No. I dont eat at such faux-franz ferdinand lookalike in a cardigan beard/bobble hatted twit/bbc employee fashion cafe/semi old fashion-twist pub bollockory

This is the most intelligent thing you’ve ever posted.

I’ve just got back from This’n’That:

Because we went for a muddy walk first thing, I still had my hiking boots, scruffy outdoor pants and an old T shirt on.
    I had my battered old cap on an’all, because it was cold this morning and I’m going bald.*

I was feeling a bit self conscious about walking around The Northern Quarter Ancoats dressed like Compo, but needn’t have feared:
    Every bloke between the ages of 20 and 50 was dressed in exactly the same manner – boots, jeans, fleece, cap, attempted moustache/beard.

I no longer know whether I’m surfing the zeitgeist, jumping the shark, a post modernist renaissance man or merely a scruffy bastard living in the least fashionable place in Northern Europe (Burnley).

Help.

*No, I bleeding well haven’t got a Mumford and Son album.

And yes, pulled pork is the 650b of food tossery.

sunnrider
    Free Member

All I have to say about this is “cronuts”.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Funny you should post this, as we have the pork bubbling away in BBQ sauce in the slow cooker 😀

zbonty

I found myself asking the question ‘where has the pulled poor DIS-appeared’ yesterday afternoon. They’d given me some veggy dumplings in Wagamama. Pork’ns were much tastier.

Bunnyhop

Rusty Spanner – It happens to us all in the end. You know, just going along in your own way and style and whoa! before you know it we’re in fashion.

Never heard of pulled pork before. Hora’s opening sentence really made me laugh though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why has ‘pulled Pork’ appeared everywhere?

Because it’s lush!
    I’ve been aware of it for years to be honest. It’s a different way of cooking something mundane I guess. Tasty.

But it’s probably a US import, much like most British favourites are:
    Fish and chips – Introduced by an Italian in Scotland I believe
    Curry
    Pizza
    Chinese
    Etc…

But his being AntiAmericantrackworld I guess it’s cooler to hate than to eat. 🙂

ross980
    Free Member

Hora’s post made me laugh, he’s probably got a point about it being everywhere though. had a few friends round yesterday for a belated housewarming type thing. I unashamedly jumped on the bandwagon and thought I’d give pulled pork a go. People seemed to like it, it was a piece of piss to cook and as an unexpected bonus cost pence (sub 6 quid and fed 8 adults and plus children). What’s not to like?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I like pulled pork, but have been doing it for years, it is a dead easy and cheap thing to do in a slow cooker using a basic spice rub beer and onions, what’s not to like, agree though everywhere seems to do it now and to be honest a lot of it is now pretentious tosh, but if people wanna pay for it then who am I to judge?*

*just remembered this is STW and therefore we much all judge everything and fear the change…..

chiefgrooveguru

Had it in Chocolate City back in 2002 and I’m very pleased to see it catching on over here. Proper manfood.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m with Hora on this one. I heard of it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I keep hearing about it now! What the heck does “pulled” mean and why can’t we just call it pork?
    Sounds a bit rude too 😛

Drac

I heard of it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I keep hearing about it now! What the heck does “pulled” mean and why can’t we just call it pork?

Only 2 weeks ago? Damn!

Pulled means errr well pulled from the bone like.

jon1973
    Free Member

What the heck does “pulled” mean and why can’t we just call it pork?

Because it describes the way it’s prepared, it means it’s pulled off the bone rather than carved because the meat pretty much just falls apart. Just calling it pork doesn’t really tell you what it is.

I’m a big fan of slow cooking meat joints, it’s a completely different flavour and you can use cheaper cuts.

ton

this morning, I chopped carrot, swede, parsnips, leeks, onions, red pepper, celery and green beans into the slow cooker.
    I put a chicken in too, with a cup of stock and a drop of balsamic.
    I put it on low at 9am.
    me and the wife then cycled to York, had 2 pints of blonde on the station, caught the train back to leeds, then cycled home.
    at 5.30pm I tried to take the whole bird out of the slow cooker….it protested and fell apart.

is this pulled chicken?

chvck
    Free Member

is this pulled chicken?

It’s boney (bony?) stew.

EDIT: I’ve done it too and had the chicken fall apart, despite having to pick out bones it was still lovely.

jon1973
    Free Member

this morning, I chopped carrot, swede, parsnips, leeks, onions, red pepper, celery and green beans into the slow cooker.

Good stuff. The great thing about a slow cooker is that you can prepare it all in the morning like that and come back to a house full of wonderful food smells. Nothing better if you’ve been out on a long ride.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

pulled means it has been pulled apart ie shredded and how it it is different from normal roast pork?

Cooking time, pulled pork has been cooked till the internal temp has reached the point where the collogen has broken down and the fat has rendered. This is generally done by cooking low and slow which turns cheap cuts into tender tasty lovelyness

But Hora is right lots are jumping on the bandwagon and are turning out pap for silly money

ratherbeintobago

merely a scruffy bastard living in the least fashionable place in Northern Europe (Burnley).

I’ll tell you now, and I’ll tell you firmly…

robdob
    Free Member

Compared to the MEGA tasty pulled pork I had in the USA a lot of it in the UK is a bit tasteless. Don’t know why, I think the Americans can do meat so much better, especially with nice BBQ/spicy/smoky sauces on them.

Om nom nom!!

globalti
    Free Member

A well aged – to the point of starting to whiff – beef brisket will disintegrate into stringy bits like pulled pork.

vickypea
    Free Member

I was laughing so much about the “faux Frank Ferdinand lookalike in a cardigan …. ” description, mr pea thought I’d gone bonkers.

theotherjonv

I first had pulled pork* off a polystyrene plate with a plastic fork sat at a Formica table with a bunch of redneck chemical plant workers in Texas in about 2000. I’ve had it several times since, In a variety of increasingly swanky places and never has it been as good as that first time.

Although, when the redfaced nearly toothless serving lady at the plant canteen asked me if I wanted my pork pulled, I nearly missed the experience and had it served on the bone.

Beef feather blade will be the next belly pork. Mark my words.

vickypea
    Free Member

I meant FRANZ Ferdinand! Stupid autocorrect!

TooTall
    Free Member

hora – best you stick to whatever local dish you grew up with. All this fancy talk and different ways of doing things isn’t for you.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m hugely amused that people haven’t heard of pulled pork (did it ever not exist?) and even more so that they seem to be angry about it 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Oh you must be a Sophisticat then? Stick your bobble hat up your tight panted-ass. What next? The fat-tongued-mockney tells you that angel delight is now rustic-eco green dining phat dining geezer? 😆

peterfile
    Free Member

Even MORE amusing is that you think pulled pork is sophisticated, hora! 🙂 It’s a peasants dish! I’m Scottish and even I knew that

Drac

It’s a peasants dish! I’m Scottish and even I knew that

That’s kind of Hora’s point.

eskay

I wonder if pig’s trotters will ever make a comeback? I can remember gnawing on those at my grandparent’s.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Ive had the “real deal” home made on a bbq bigger than my bath at the wifes uncles in louisiana was possibly the best thing ive ever eaten!!!! They see it as we see lancashire hotpot a local staple.

However….. I went to a chain pub last night for tea with the wife and there it was pulled pork with corn on the cob and chicken wings. Tasted like hotdogs and was terrible!!!!! I was also trying to explain corned beef to her uncle and his “buddies” I gave up after having their version of corned beef!!!!!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Vaguely aware of the existence of “pulled pork”, I happened into a sandwich bar in Oban where todays’s piece of the day was pulled pork. £3.50 and excellent. Ate on the harbour front, so geat food and awesome scenery.
    Not London is brilliant.
    Sun dried tomatoes on the other hand…..

inbred853

Lived in Georgia for a couple of years and pulled barbecued pork was a staple at all get togethers, surprised it’s taken this long to jump the pond, best Homer voice,” mmmmmmm….pulled pork”.
    Not really all that different to my mums boiled beef when I was a nipper, which our American cousins call corned beef, poos all over our version oot of a can though.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just a fad innit? Like when all the people I know from school who were still working in London all started drinking white wine at the same time. That was the year before they all started drinking pear cider. I mean, pear cider FFS. Otherwise known as babycham or perry (and originally consumed by yokels who couldn’t even ferment an apple properly!)

Done well, pulled pork is nice. Like a lot of recipes that use cheap cuts. But it needs to be done properly, not just a way of flogging cheap meat.

I have a beef curry recipe that uses stewing steak. It needs twotting a lot with a rolling pin, rubbing with salt and marinating in natural yoghurt overnight, before slow simmering for a couple of hours. It is magnifico, but the effort needs to be made.

philtricklebank

I’ve being pulling pork for at least 20 years. I’ve just not been calling it that. I blame the Southerners for this, amongst other things.

mikemorini
    Free Member

Can we have your curry recipe dannyh. Sound good.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’ve being pulling pork for at least 20 years. I’ve just not been calling it that. I blame the Southern U.S. States for this, amongst other things.

FTFY.

sparksmcguff

Have a yank friend who makes pulled pork on a bbq contraption he built (or maybe bought from Costco) – lovely stuff.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Pulled Pork done well is awesome, i’m really glad the BBQ trend has started to pick up in the UK, always loved having it in the states and its great being able to get it out here, hopefully we’ll see more carnitas and barbacoa as well

batfink
    Free Member

Just a fad innit?

Exactly….. there are fashions in food, just like anything else. Why are people offended by that? Whatever’s fashionable caries a markup – like scotch eggs in posh restaurants a few years ago.

On the other hand, 10/10 for Hora’s rant – I shall try to use “cockwomble” at work today.

TooTall
    Free Member

Is hora’s dream menu

prawn cocktail
    half fried chicken and chips
    ice cream and a wafer

or is he more traditional?

Rscott
    Free Member

Hora go to Gringo’s in town,opposite tesco’s, in the arche’s and order a pulled pork burger or a big boy platter, its hearty mexican grub and beer nothing posh about it,and enjoy they’ve been doing it long before it was fashionable.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Why has 'pulled Pork' appeared everywhere?’ is closed to new replies.