Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Why has my phone line gone severely crackly?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

It’s buggering up my broadband, I can get good download but only about 15kbps upload 🙁

globalti
    Free Member

Line fault. Phone BT and despair. They will make an appointment but will issue several warnings that if the fault is found to be in your wiring there will be a heavy callout charge.

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdaeBiF__u4[/video]

aphex_2k
    Free Member

They’re listening to you…Shh! The cheese is in the badger.

CraigW
    Free Member

First, unplug all of your phones/modems, and just plug in one phone direct to the master socket. If that is still crackly, then it is probably a problem with your phone line, so report it to BT.

spooky_b329

As long as you follow all the checks such as unplugging everything (including Sky, broadband filters, heating oil ordering thing) and try another phone etc, you are fairly safe against a charge even though they may try the ‘its definitely inside your house’ line. (which usually means the computer has measured the fault at within 100 metres of your house).

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Last time this happened to me it was a bit of corrosion in the master socket. The wall was very slightly damp (old house – no DPC) and over some time it had caused a bit of corrosion to the connections in the socket.

As has been said, try the master socket, and see if it’s clear, if it is, it’s your internal wiring.

molgrips
    Free Member

Huh. Broadband back to normal now.

Strangely though the speed test website is reporting 1.13Mbps upload, but my system monitor is only giving abou 400Kbps, which is consistent with the sync speed.

MrNice
    Free Member

last time this happened for me it was an ADSL filter that had given up the ghost. New filter fixed the crackly phone line and made the broadband quicker too.

GrahamS

Don’t rely on upload/download speeds – get the line stats information from your router. You should be able to find something like “Noise Margin” and “Line Attenuation”. They give you an indication of the line quality.

Always good to keep a note of what they were when everything is working so you can check them again if the line seems crackly.

spooky_b329

Deep in the advance on the router you will find the speed it is connected to the exchange. For faulty lines this is what you want to look at as it shows what the line is supporting rather than how many people are sharing the exchange capacity.

Router address is probably 92.168.1.254

GrahamS

Router address is probably 92.168.1.254

And by that I think spooky means 192.168.1.254

Or it might be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

http://www.techspot.com/guides/287-default-router-ip-addresses/

sc-xc

We had the same thing. My wife dropped her roast dinner on the handset.

We ended up with crackling on the line.

😐

molgrips
    Free Member

Deep in the advance on the router you will find the speed it is connected to the exchange

That figure I referred to in my second post 😉

Was back to normal this morning.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Why has my phone line gone severely crackly?’ is closed to new replies.