Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why has my new light fitting gone POP and stopped working?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

A few months ago, Mrs Removed came home with a spangly new light fitting for the kitchen. No bother, thought I and turned to my huge DIY book.

Once I’d got my head round the idea that the light fitting was in the middle of a loop, I had it fitted and working.

Last night, as per title, it went POP and stopped working. When I opened it up, one of the earth wires coming from the fitting was unattatched (there seem to be two earth wires – one was already attatched to the metal part of the fitting attatched to the ceiling out of the box).

I can’t for the life of me remember where it was attatched now. Would a loose earth even stop it from working? I’ve checked the daft wee bulbs and they all look fine.

Spent the last half hour trying it in every configuration with no joy – do these units have internal fuses maybe? Any help gratefully and gracefully received.

user-removed
    Free Member

Any ideas from the evening shift?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

12v with a transformer or 240v?

backhander
    Free Member

broken.

user-removed
    Free Member

mastiles – without opening it up again, I don’t know – it’s a standard hanging light fitting though…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is there an inline fuse? Ie, a small plastic catridge somewhere inside the housing?

surfer
    Free Member

Very unlikely but could it have blown a fuse in the main box or tripped a breaker and you havent checked other services on that circuit?
    Is everything else working?

oldgit
    Free Member

A bit vague there, but you say metal. Have you checked to see if anything is touching the metal. Terminals tight and tidy?

user-removed
    Free Member

mastiles – yes, I think there is a wee plastic box inside the housing – will investigate today. surfer – everything else on the circuit is working, oldgit – everything’s as tidy as a ham fisted Scotsman working over his head can make it 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Ok, so it says inside; 220 – 240V. There is also a built in transformer – could it be the transformer which went POP? Also, no sign of a fuse of any kind.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would guess it’s the transformer – 220/240v is the incoming voltage and it exits at 12v for the pretty fairy lights (that cost £££££££s)

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm – wonder if it’s worth taking back to the shop – was M&S so they may take it back without too much fuss. Or they may ask if it was fitted by a competent electrician (no!). Cheers for the help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why has my new light fitting gone POP and stopped working?’ is closed to new replies.