• This topic has 411 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 412 total)
  • Why give Greece more cash?
  • oldnpastit

The big problem is, the damage has been done now so Greece are left with either trying to deal with that, or defaulting in a worse position than they were in 2010. The people who gained don’t care, and the people most responsible for it are immune to criticism.

Fortunately, it’s mostly poor people who speak a funny language who are affected, so I don’t think it matters does it?

So long as the nice rich people get their money back, it’s all fine, surely?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

+1 for Stoner – echoed in the Hulsman analysis.

Northwind

oldnpastit – Member

Fortunately, it’s mostly poor people who speak a funny language who are affected, so I don’t think it matters does it?

It’s all right, we can just say it’s their fault for spending beyond their means- even the ones who weren’t born, they should have made better arrangements and been born into a rich family in Britain.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Greece spent the money propping up some pretty unsustainable polices and papering over their long term problems

Historic high levels of inflation
    Lack of economic policy credibility, pensions, tax collection etc
    Greek governments have run excessive budget deficits even in the good times
    Lack of competitiveness of the Greek economy
    Extremely large and inefficient public administration sector

None of which arent problems in other countries but once the world wide crisis hit 08 – 09 the Greeks werent in a good position to weather the storm because of their long term unaddressed underlying problems.

Without significant meaningful financial reform they should not get any more cash

soobalias
    Free Member

stoners post? what the one with the pretty butterfly analogy?

turn that round and someone creates an environment where rats thrive, do they still have a obligation to maintain that environment?

stoners piece should be prefaced with “One might say…..”

Stoner
    Free Member

meow. Someone’s not getting any grilled haloumi tonight then.

brooess
    Free Member

You might also ask the same question of UK consumers – why give us more debt (particularly mortgages) when we’re in it up to our necks…

Europe has an ageing population, real economic growth stopped in the late 70s as the post-war baby boom (population growth) and re-growth of the economy after we wrecked it in WW2 came to an end.
    Governments have given us debt to replace previously rising incomes to help give the electorate an illusion of rising wealth and rising living standards. We didn’t realise this was what they were doing at the time and have swallowed it whole, hence massive amounts of personal and government debt and, as Manic Street Preachers put it in 1991 in ‘Natwest, Barclays, Midlands, Lloyds’ – ‘They’re sanitising credit’.

Greece is just the canary in the coalmine IMO – the most vulnerable of the debt-laden countries. Italy, Spain, Portgual, UK not ideally placed right now either.

Scarily, the Chinese seem to have got themselves into a debt-laden speculative mess too… failing to learn the lessons of our mistakes.

Fingers crossed that we’ll be able to progress softly into a low-growth world, it’s going to take some serious skill on behalf of policy-makers to avoid a repeat (possibly worse) of 2008, which in itself was a sign of the underlying problem, rather than the problem itself…

None of this asks the question of how to finance feeding and housing a fast-rising global population (with expectations of a Western middle-class lifestyle) as well as meeting the costs of climate change…

DrJ

Without significant meaningful financial reform they should not get any more cash

They have proposed significant reforms, but the troika prefer a political approach – trying to start a bank run, undermining the Syriza govt, using the EC as a propaganda voice etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The money isn’t going into the Greek economy it goes to the French and German Banks that lent them money in the first place. It’s not so much a Greek bailout but another bank bailout.

@teef
    TOTALLY wrong. Banks took big losses in 2010 and the vast majority of the debt passed to the EU and IMF, banks have not had loans to Greece now for years and they are not going to return as lenders in the near future. Greece is supported by the tax payers of the eurozone ie including countries like Slovakia who have lent €1bn

More money is being lent to the Greeks so they can pay their wages and pensions

It’s highly unlikely Greece can repay this money. The EU and IMF want to see Greece make some reforms to labour laws, pensions, tax collection as a condition for lending them more money so that there is some kind of chance Greece reforms. Otherwise the pace at which Greek debt grows will just accelerate.

DrJ Greece has NOT proposed significant reforms, the the contrary they have promised jack sh.t

TheFlyingOx
    DrJ

DrJ Greece has NOT proposed significant reforms, the the contrary they have promised jack sh.t

Not the case. For example:
    http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2015/06/18/greeces-proposals-to-end-the-crisis-my-intervention-at-todays-eurogroup/

The EU and IMF want to see Greece make some reforms to labour laws, pensions, tax collection as a condition for lending them more money so that there is some kind of chance Greece reforms. Otherwise the pace at which Greek debt grows will just accelerate.

Again, not the case. The EU and IMF don’t agree on what should happen – the IMF position is that without debt forgiveness then regardless of what the Greeks do the debt will be unsustainable. The EU position, doubtless politically motivated, is that debt forgiveness is off the table, so the chances of growth are diminished even more.

nickc

(and assume the gormless Marxist fantasists in Syriza will never embrace real structural reform)

From that Mark Hulsman article 😯

anagallis_arvensis

Mandmade landscapes have encouraged butterfly species to thrive and adapt to a very specific set of environmental conditions that might not otherwise be naturally occurring.
    But those environments being not naturally formed must be maintained by man or the habitat is lost and the butterfly colonies would die.

1. Are humans not part of nature?
    2. How did the butterflies evolve if they needed traditional farming landscape in order to survive?
    3. More holes than a collander.

martinhutch

Greece is going to default at some point. The only issue in question is the timing in relation to any economic recovery in the rest of the EU, and in particular whether Spain and Italy can be prevented from subsequently spinning down the same debt and austerity plughole. I personally think this is a forlorn hope.

It would be in the interests of the Greek people to default to its own timetable, rather than wait for the Germans to pull the plug.

The McWilliams article linked above deserves a wider audience.

dragon
    Free Member

Apparently Greece sent the wrong document last night, if true then they are either f**king stupid beyond belief or too clever for their own good.

Anyone know what the UK and the USA positions is on the whole thing? Both governments have been remarkably quiet apart from general platitudes like wanting to keep Greece in the Euro. I assume that the BofE and Fed are kept in the loop, and possibly that GCHQ and NSA have tapped the whole thing. But are government mandarins more active in being directly involved in negotiations?

binners

Anyone know what the UK and the USA positions is on the whole thing? Both governments have been remarkably quiet apart from general platitudes like wanting to keep Greece in the Euro

We’re not on the hook for anything like the Greek debt that Germany and France are. And obviously, though the collapse of the Euro won’t be pretty for anyone, we’ve a lot less to lose than those presently members.

I don’t think us, or the Americans, chipping in with any advice would be greatly appreciated. Leave them to sort out their own mess, and hope that when it does go tits up – and lets be honest it will do at some point, whether thats today, in 6 months or 2 years time – that the fall out is to at least a certain degree, contained.

Wishful thinking, I know. But I don’t see what anyone outside the Euro could usefully add. Apart from pouring more cash into the bottomless EU money pit. And that ain’t going to happen. George Osborne made that perfectly clear 5 years ago

EEK! This would be why Germany and France are a tad worried. Us not so much….

Stoner
    Free Member

1. Are humans not part of nature?
    2. How did the butterflies evolve if they needed traditional farming landscape in order to survive?
    3. More holes than a collander.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0snnF3vwVO4C&q=232#v=snippet&q=232&f=false

Page 232.
    Hole, plugged 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

As far as I understand it (which isn’t a lot):

Lots of companies have money in Greek banks. If the Greeks leave the Euro, these deposits will be converted into Drachma which will then drop like a stone causing a huge sum of other people’s money to vanish.

Which is why it’d be bad.

TheFlyingOx

I think it’s more that lots of financial institutions have, either directly or indirectly, given Greece A LOT of money with the assumption that it will be paid back with interest. They have in turn packaged up this assumed interest as further debt instruments and sold them on, etc., etc., and so the money trail expands like a Sierpinski fractal until half the world is involved in some way or another.

If Greece leaves the Euro, it will mean none of the original loan money will ever be paid back, which means none of the repackaged debt instruments will be paid either, and a lot of financial institutions will be in a lot of trouble.

But then, I don’t understand much of it either. If I did, I’d be making a killing on the international derivatives market. Or something.

Stoner
    Free Member

anyone who really (and I mean really) wants to see one way of how a GREXIT might be pulled off, can read Capital Economics’ winning paper for the Wolfson Prize in 2012 called “Leaving the Euro: A practical guide”

https://www.capitaleconomics.com/data/pdf/wolfson-prize-submission.pdf

page 42 for the introduction of a new currency, and summarised:

? Redenominate all contractual nominal values at an official
    conversion rate of 1-for-1, including all bank deposits and loans
    with Greek resident financial institutions (including the Greek
    branches of foreign banks).

? Order printing of new notes and minting of new coins as soon as
    exit is announced but accept that there will be a period without new
    physical currency.

? Rely on non-cash means of payment for the vast majority of
    transactions.

? Allow euros to continue to be used where people so wish, and
    permit dual pricing.

? Close the banks and ATMs, and prevent any bank transactions, once
    the announcement of euro withdrawal is made.

? Avoid more drastic controls on financial institutions and
    transactions. But if news leaks outs early, impose wider capital
    controls and move quickly to exit.

? Treat all withdrawals of euros from banks and ATMs after D-Day as
    a foreign currency transaction debited from drachma accounts
    according to the prevailing exchange rate

jambalaya
    Free Member

@molgrips only a company in need of a lobotamy would have money in a Greek bank. To be honest I am surpirsed deposits have only fallen from €140bn to €100bn since Syriza came to power.

Intereting language this evening, Greeks claiming there will be a deal and German finance minister saying there’s nothing new. Meeting once again lasted only an hour. From what I’ve seen hotel vat wont raise that much and I suspect corporate and personal taxe rises will go largely unpaid. I’d be very surprised if the numbers work or come close to it. Greek pensions are 16% of GDP vs 8.3% for UK. The government needs to address what its paying out.

IMO both the UK and US want to see a solution as 1 that doesnt cost thrm anything other than their shares of the IMF debt and 2 a greek exit and euro area economic slwdown would hurt their economies

DrJ

German finance minister saying there’s nothing new

But that is clearly a lie, since other hawks, such as Dijsselbloem, say the opposite.

Greek pensions are 16% of GDP vs 8.3% for UK

Yes, but the GDP is much less, thanks to the troika’s policies. Now pensions are often a family’s only income, with many people with no hope of a job taking early retirement which consequently pushes up the costs of pensions.

anagallis_arvensis

Page 232.
    Hole, plugged

Care to explain as it suggests to me the species were all present prior to agriculture hence your original post being bobbins. Doesnt even attempt to address point 1.

Stoner
    Free Member

FFS A_A, are the summer term blues getting to you or something?

Where a synthetically created environment encourages a dependant existence, there’s a duty on those that create that environment to those dependent upon it on it’s withdrawal. The analogy still stands.

anagallis_arvensis

How can you have a synthetically created environment? You talk like a first year undergrad and strop like a 3 year old.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

One simple fact, they spent the money therefore they are required to repay it. Lets not dress it up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How can you have a synthetically created environment?

Erm, quite easily, really.

DrJ

One simple fact, they spent the money therefore they are required to repay it. Lets not dress it up.

Ideally, yes, but the fact on the ground is that this is not possible. The question therefore is, what is the best way to proceed? How can Greece best be returned to economic health, in which it can repay at least some of the debt? Is it by crushing austerity, which has been shown for 5 years to be a failure, or by some more intelligent approach, which is actually based on evidence and not punitive dogma?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Certainly not, tied into a fixed exchange rate, with a requirement to produce a budget surplus and without any fiscal transfers – only a magician could pull that out if the bag and neither Tsipras nor Varoufakis are magicians.

Given that the Troika are full of trained economics, their grasp of basic theory is extraordinarily lacking. There is no way that Greece can deliver what is required. It’s BS.

sparksmcguff

At this point it looks like a game of prisoners dilemma – either party could walk away with everything (leaving the other with nothing) if the one or the other blinks (the question is then who will blink first) or both parties could leave with something – which is perhaps better than nothing. The reality is, neither side can afford to leave with nothing so both must leave with something – except that now Greece has a leader who seems willing to go all in and Merkel looks to be doing the same.

chewkw
    Free Member

When do you think they will reach Australia if they keep on digging? 😆

anagallis_arvensis

How can you have a synthetically created environment?
    Erm, quite easily, really.

Care to expand on that or give an example?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    anyone who really (and I mean really) wants to see one way of how a GREXIT might be pulled off, can read Capital Economics’ winning paper for the Wolfson Prize in 2012 called “Leaving the Euro: A practical guide”

and there was me thinking the plan was to change the name of the airport/country and pretend none of it ever happened

When do you think they will reach Australia if they keep on digging?

Given the size of the Greek population in some areas in Oz from post war migration I’d expect a lot more to be very close (not in a Total Recall kind of a way)

Stoner
    Free Member

Care to expand on that or give an example?

take away the goldfish bowl and see how long the goldfish lasts.

Im not sure which is more fatuous: My goldfish example or your determination to spoil for a fight over a whimsical analogy?

anagallis_arvensis

Im not sure which is more fatuous: My goldfish example or your determination to spoil for a fight over a whimsical analogy?

so its whimsical now even though you are determined to try and defend it.

Taking away a resource is hardly similar to creating a synthetic environment.

footflaps

Taking away a resource is hardly similar to creating a synthetic environment.

The synthetic environment was one where the Greek banks could sell bonds to buyers with the expectation that the debts were as good as German bonds (ie low interest rates).

anagallis_arvensis

The synthetic environment was one where the Greek banks could sell bonds to buyers with the expectation that the debts were as good as German bonds (ie low interest rates).

that I could go along with

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

and there was me thinking the plan was to change the name of the airport/country and pretend none of it ever happened

TBh that’s what they’d do if it were a company. Quick, create a “Bad Greece”, maybe on one of the Laousses Islets, put all the debt into that one and put all the assets into Greace Holdings, with your wife as director- sorted. But if it’s a country, it’s totally reasonable to expect unborn children to pick up the tab for their entire lives.

Stoner
    Free Member

But if it’s a country, it’s totally reasonable to expect unborn children to pick up the tab for their entire lives.

there was me thinking that was the core policy of the “End Austerity Now” loons.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

But, what will have changed by the next dead line? Lets assume that they get the money. Will it be enough to give them a chance to turn this crisis around in the short term and meet the future repayment schedule without further last minute deals?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 412 total)

The topic ‘Why give Greece more cash?’ is closed to new replies.