• This topic has 411 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 12 posts - 401 through 412 (of 412 total)
  • Why give Greece more cash?
  • DrJ

Quite a bit of commentary that Tsipras has badly miscalculated with the referendum

Hardly.

Meanwhile, it is revealed (yesterday, in fact, but my German is crap) that the troika don’t believe in their own plans.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/30/greek-debt-troika-analysis-says-significant-concessions-still-needed
    So why do they continue to pretend? Nothing to do with economics and everything to do with political power.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

but they have not agreed to take the steps to meet the criteria so it is still Swedens sovereign decision.

So Sweden is deliberately maintaining an excessive budgetary deficit, it is deliberately maintaining high inflation rates, and it is deliberately maintaining high interest rates, just to assert its sovereignty ? That’ll teach the feckers ! 🙂

The reality is that the EU bureaucracy, with complete contempt for democracy and the will of the people in supposedly independent sovereign member states, creates rules and treaty obligations which are either enforced or simply ignored depending on the preferred outcome.

For example government rescue packages and support for financial institutions during the credit crises undoubtedly broke EU rules as specific approval from the EU was not sort beforehand, as is required. However no one cared so the rules were simply ignored.

On the other hand when it suits it the EU is perfectly prepared to enforce EU law and issue fines if they are breached. And you can of course bet your bottom dollar that the deeply undemocratic TTIP and the Investor-State Dispute Settlements which will allow companies to sue governments if government policies cause a loss of profits, and which in effect will mean that unelected transnational corporations will dictate the policies to democratically elected governments, will be ruthlessly enforced.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m surprised to find myself agreeing almost completely with something she’s written. I’m assuming your instinctive dislike of her is blinding you to exactly what she’s saying when she’s suggesting that recent experience shows us that the side making threats loses referenda 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

So Sweden is deliberately maintaining an excessive budgetary deficit, it is deliberately maintaining high inflation rates, and it is deliberately maintaining high interest rates, just to assert its sovereignty ? That’ll teach the feckers !

well wiki and the EU think they meet 4 of the 5 criteria [ and say they are doing none of those- inflation at 0.3 % for example] – its not hard to make a credible case for why they are a poor judge though- all except the ERM basically as i said copied from wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_and_the_euro

I agree with the rest of your points

You have very nearly made me a no voter in the upcoming referendum FWIW

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

So I owe €323 Bn, I want to borrow another €29 Bn and I can’t pay the €1.6 Bn I need to pay my debitors.

ninfan
    Free Member

So I owe €323 Bn, I want to borrow another €29 Bn and I can’t pay the €1.6 Bn I need to pay my debitors.

You know what they say about other people’s money…

DrJ

That’s how it works when you borrow from the Mafia.

konabunny
    Free Member

like the Colour Purple “show me the money” is what it’s all about.

A bit surprising to confuse The Color Purple with Jerry Maguire.

JY – you and jamba need to get a room,

The heat generated could kill them both…

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH i think it might be a bit frosty and therefore far more risky

mt
    Free Member

Come on JY you know you love him really, it’s obvious to the rest of us. You been trying to distract him for ages with your “look at me look at me” discussion.

superfli
    Free Member

My brother lives with his family in Athens and works for a shipping lawyers. He is scraping by on the money cap, and work is fine at the moment. But his biggest concern is if the international school will open in Sept. after hols if lots of kids/families leave. I imagine this will have a massive knock on affect to the economy and workforce.

hooli

Anybody seen this https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/greek-bailout-fund#/story

Although noble, the maths don’t add up to me. This is only the overdue payment, not the whole amount?

Viewing 12 posts - 401 through 412 (of 412 total)

The topic ‘Why give Greece more cash?’ is closed to new replies.