Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Why don't the RNLI receive any government funding ?
  • Drac

The point being there is a statutory provision for an ambulance service, there is no such provision for a rescue at sea.

That’s better saying there is a statutory right for an Ambulance to carry the sick is wrong, we spend an awful lot of time and expense trying to educate people it’s not the case. That was my point.

Marin
    Free Member

No idea as to the answer of origional question but I support them and was very grateful they exist when I worked on a ship even if I never needed their services.
    If you see an old lady outside the local Co-op with a collecting tin give her some cash for the RNLI as it may be my mum!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

if you want to donate to the rnli, and you should because the guys in the stations and on the boats are an amazing lot, give money directly to a station and not to the charity as a whole. better to buy kit for a boat/crew than pay for expenses for a suit in the poole hq.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    edlong
    Free Member

if you want to donate to the rnli, and you should because the guys in the stations and on the boats are an amazing lot, give money directly to a station and not to the charity as a whole. better to buy kit for a boat/crew than pay for expenses for a suit in the poole hq.

Yeah, cos having your massive organisation run professionally is a really bad thing.

CountZero

I was looking at the latest RNLI raffle mailing today, apparently it costs £32,000 for a ‘D’ Class inshore boat. Even though I live around 50-70miles from the coast, depending on which bit I visit, I always give to collectors. There are other small coastal rescue teams as well, who do fantastic work, but struggle by on local donations, like BARB in Burnham-on-Sea, who, IIRC, we’re called out over 200 times last year! Those calls are almost always due to stupid emmets who ignore the soft sand and mud signs, and walk or drive into the danger area and get stuck. They were, I think, the first rescue team to buy a hovercraft through public donations after one heartbreaking tragedy, and I always give to them as well.
    I’ve sometimes thought that it ought to be possible for RNLI funds to have a facility to help such teams, as they have common cause, and the hovercraft can get onto the mudflats that rescue boats can’t get to.
    I think the RNLI is something we Brits can be truly proud of.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Why don't the RNLI receive any government funding ?’ is closed to new replies.