• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Why don't Shimano make headsets?
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I know they make a couple of road headsets, but apart from those they don’t make headsets. Am I the only one who finds this odd?

coogan
    Free Member

Probably.

chestrockwell

They used to. Got an XT one on an old bike.

mrmo
    Free Member

they did make mtb headsets,as an aside they used to make seat posts, and fairly sure stems, i guess they didn’t want to pay dia compe money?

munrobiker
    Free Member

They do make a variety of threaded road heasdsets but I don’t think they are a big money spinner. They ddid make xt headsets once upon a time. Same for their seatposts.

bencooper
    Free Member

They used to make really good headsets. I think the problem bight have been when Ahead came out, they didn’t want to license it so fell behind. Plus might have decided that it wasn’t a core product – headsets don’t connect to anything else they make.

Onzadog
    Free Member

They used to make a lot but I think their policy is to not licence stuff from other companies.

However, I think the a-headset thing has expired now which is why king have changed their design. I guess shimano could start turning them out if they wanted. However, it used to be one of the first bits of a groupset to get cut when trying to bring a bike down to a certain price.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

They do have headsets as part of the ‘Pro’ brand, along with bars, stems, posts and all sorts of other stuff

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s true – thigh do they make the Pro stuff themselves?

boxelder

They don’t need replacing often enough and you can’t tinker with them to convince folk that they need to constantly upgrade.
    Maybe.
    STX 1″ HS on a bike for 15 years and still going.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Shaimano seem to be good at a lot of things… but bearings don’t seem to be their strong point. It’s probably a good thing they stopped making mtb headsets

gwaelod
    Free Member

Had an xt headset on an orange with threaded pace forks. Ace, bearings lasted forever, never came loose.

coatesy
    Free Member

Me too, all started going downhill when they went over to (badly sealed) cartridge bearings. Seized headset after every wet ride anybody?

orangeboy
    Free Member

There mtb headsets are among the best I’ve used. And sealed bearings.
    Used to be stx , lx xt can’t remember if there was a xtr one

Still have a xt one on my retro bike it just keeps working
    Despite its sealed bearings

Hack road bike has a 105 that won’t die as well

orangeboy
    Free Member

Maybe it’s more an issue that ahead is rubbish and we should have stuck with threaded

jonnouk
    Free Member

Maybe it’s more an issue that ahead is rubbish and we should have stuck with threaded

“Ahh, got my headset all sorted after loads of faff. [5mins later] Its f**ked again!”

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you want to go back to threaded steerers and quill stems. Are you mad?

robdob
    Free Member

The old threaded XT headsets are amazing quality, I had an XT NOS one recently and it was superb. The XTR ones are just astonishing quality. It is a real shame they don’t make ahead ones in the same quality as I’d have one in a heartbeat.

bencooper
    Free Member

you want to go back to threaded steerers and quill stems. Are you mad?

Yeah, it’s such a hassle being able to change handlebar height in a second with just an Allen key 😉

I’ve never understood why Ahead took over. It’s another one of those solutions that’s better for a minority, but offers no advantage or is even worse for a majority of people.

breadcrumb

You don’t need two huge spanners to adjust an aheadset.

Cheaper for fork manufactures to produce non threaded steerer’s.

bencooper
    Free Member

A good headset shouldn’t need adjusting much or ever. But if that’s the worry, there were threaded headset designs that adjusted with just an Allen key.

Your second answer is the real one I think 😉

gogg
    Free Member

Same reason as Carlsberg don’t?

chestrockwell

Threaded would never work now as those of you who have 300 frames and insist every part you have, or will ever buy must fit each and every frame just wouldn’t stand for it as any difference in head tube size buggers threaded.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why Ahead took over. It’s another one of those solutions that’s better for a minority, but offers no advantage or is even worse for a majority of people.

I expect it was mainly to make things simpler for manufacturers, but IMO they are better in pretty much every respect.

stufield
    Free Member

Why would you need to keep adjusting handlebar height?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Must admit its nice not to see so many bikes to work on with the quill stuck in the frame

breadcrumb

Why would you need to keep adjusting handlebar height?

High for pootling, slammed for gnar. Dropper stem anyone? 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

High for pootling, slammed for gnar. Dropper stem anyone?

I sure this can be the automatic one

and manual

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Why don't Shimano make headsets?’ is closed to new replies.