Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • why don't people walk any more?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m really shocked by these tales of people driving less than a mile.

Whilst not defending some of the school run, don’t forget a lot of parents work now and (rightly or wrongly) they drive to work, so dropping little Johnny off at school on the way might only be a mile away from home but they might have a 20 mile drive after that, especially if it’s on the way (and they like making ‘progress’.

Of course, many are absolute lazy gits.

cinnamon_girl

😆 @ benji

GrahamS

..they drive to work, so dropping little Johnny off at school on the way…

True… I do admit that two mornings a week I drive our 5 year old round to her childminders before school, which is all of ~500 metres away by foot 😳

But in my defence, I also have a two year old with me that I need to take to nursery 3 miles away, and then continue on another 6 miles to work. And I’m usually late as it is.

She does walk or cycle to school and back on the other 3 days of the week though.

ransos
    Free Member

Whilst walking is good for you… walking next to car fumes had now been proven to increase your chances of cancer etc..

You do know that exhaust fumes are more concentrated inside cars, don’t you?

magnetodog
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Give us a selfie magnetodog.

grey

My boss actually lives on site and drives to work quite often a journey of about ½ mile as you have to go in a roundabout way, the walk is about 300m 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My point about the weather was more a reason people give for not walking. If it’s hammering it down I’ll skip the bike and the walk and grab a taxi, means I’m not surrounding by wet stuff all day and it’s easier. In NW of the UK when Cumbria picks the brunt of the incoming weather strolling along as horizontal sleet pelts you in the face is a bit much unless your trying to prove a point.

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘why don't people walk any more?’ is closed to new replies.