Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Why don't my brakes work after storage?
  • dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Hello all

If a put any one of my bikes into the shed for a prolonged period of time, let’s say 2 months, when I get it back out, invariably one of the brake levers will pull back to the bars and needs bleeding to get it working again. This will happen on any of the manufacturers brakes (Hayes 9, Formula 1, Hope X2 etc).
    Whilst it’s no real issue bleeding them, why does this happen? Never had an explanation.

z1ppy

Is it stored in any other position than level & “right way up”?
    If so, it’s probably a bubble of air moving about the system, & it’s quite normal for it to happen. A few minutes pumping the the lever , and holding it in for a second before releasing, will get the brake back working normally

richmtb

Alternatively if you know you are going to store you bikes for any length of time cable table the levers to the bars and your brakes will be spot on when take the bike out of storage

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

All bikes are stored right way up (wheels on the ground etc). I’ll give it a go with zip ties on the levers. Pumping the lever makes no difference by the way. Thanks for the comments – appreciated.

thegman67

Not used my bike in 6 months tied back the levers with cablr ties and they work great

DT78
    Free Member

I don’t have trouble with air, but I find the pads themselves appear to ‘go off’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Why don't my brakes work after storage?’ is closed to new replies.