Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Why don't I like my bike / want another one?
  • Kryton57

Anyone else suffer from feeling like everyone else’s bike must handle better/rattle less/feel more comfortable than yours?

Maybe its just my psychology but I’m beginning to feel like I need anti depressants every time I look at the For Sale section.

😐

cubemeup
    Free Member

yep all the time!! im just a wanting machine!!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

No, mine’s the bestest!

mtb_rob
    Free Member

the grass is always….

ton

in the past, but not now.

i was earning loads of cash and had nothing to spend it on.
    i now earn less cash and my bike is awesome.

TheBrick
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JljGYrdDCek[/video]

z1ppy

Nope but then I worry more about my inability to get the best out of the ones I’ve got.

PJay
    Free Member

Yeah I get that sometimes but perseverance can pay off. It often amazes me how a fairly minor tweak can make a huge difference. I really didn’t get on with my new Pipedream Sirius (which replaced an 853 Inbred) but a layback seatpost, some new bars and a bit of tweaking for the saddle height/fore and aft/angle made all the difference, now I think it’s great.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

capitalism

binners

My Bike’s ace! I was only thinking that while hooning down Cut Gate last night, cackling like a maniac. And the more battered-looking its getting (and believe me, its looking pretty battle scarred!), the more I love it!

Anyway… You are Hora and I claim my five English pounds

Kryton57

The HT is a good XC bike, the Fs a good bike but I can’t help looking at Summer Seasons, Alpines, Evil Soveriegns all of which crossover both bikes, and wanting one.

It’d give me too many “which bike” decisions to ponder over on ride day 🙁

ash.addy
    Free Member

I hankered after a sovereign for a while too until I made the decision and got rid of my Spicy, now I’m in the process of building her up with all the bits off my Spicy and a set of pikes I had in the shed. Couldn’t really justify the Spicy and a Bottlerocket. Especially when the BR makes me giggle so much when I ride it – the Spicy was too much for the riding in in Wales.

jedi

i love riding my bottlerocket so much i’m retiring the hummer!

grum
    Free Member

I love my bike, it’s **** awesome – but then I have spent silly amounts of money (by normal people’s standards, not those of on here) getting it how I want it.

What bike have you got?

orena45

jedi – Member
    i love riding my bottlerocket so much i’m retiring the hummer!

Jedi pre-Bottlerocket

jedi

pretty much lol 🙂

Nobby

Used to feel much the same until I finally got a bike that suited 90% of the riding I do rather than bikes I’d always thought I wanted/needed.

tomaso
    Free Member

I get distracted like a magpie to the shiny things but ultimately its within that I need to look for more performance as my multiple comedy dismounts last night evidenced quite clearly.

My cyclescheme year ends/starts in July so capitalism is go!

ampthill

No

Upgrade forks yes

But no the bikes fine…

Something that lasted more than a year without cracking would be nice.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Its called Technoparanioa. Usually a symtom of reading too many MTB magazines 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

My Trailstar is definitely a keeper.

However, it may gain more friends as the years go by… 8)

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s shiny things innit. I for one am a massive sellout when it comes to swoopy tube profiles and gnar factor. Do I need a 160mm skills compensator? No. Is my riding good enough to warrant one? No. Do I want one? Hell yes.

juiced
    Free Member

i have always just bought what i need and then made sure I use it.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I went through a stage of disliking my bike a bit but realised it was because I’d built it up too heavy. 2 years after buying the bike and doing the frame justice by upgrading almost every part, I’m finally happy with the set up. I think some of the changes I made were to compensate for my lack of skill also. I had a very short stem on it as it felt better on downhill sections but now a longer stem feels much better all round. I’d try and get the set up perfect before you consider changing it.

juiced
    Free Member

i rather disliked ( would you believe ) my cheapo mongoose bmx for shop runs for quite a while. Just got some new wide and high bmx bars for it and now basically just because of this i love it! It has transformed the cockpit and my ability to ride it.

seven
    Free Member

Agree with GiantJ and others, make some changes and see how it goes.

I once built up a scandium framed bike. It was a thing of beauty, but I never felt comfortable riding it, as it was to light and I couldn’t believe it wouldn’t snap (all in the head obviously). I sold it and bought a secondhand airborne, after a few part changes (well everything bar the cranks and frame) I now think it’s ‘king awesome.

I do however have the luxury of 4 bikes and always have the right one for the kind of riding I do. hmmm, could do with a better road bike now I think about it 🙂

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I sometimes want a new bike then I test ride them and come away thinking that my existing FS is better which makes me hate it as it’s stopping me from getting shiny-shiny. It is however quite satisfying to know that after 2 years of test riding all sorts of nice stuff that I’m still delighted with what I have.

martymac

it could be a set up problem?
    i have an orange p7, set up with 80mm forks.
    for about a year i kept looking at FS bikes and other, more hardcore, hardtails, because i never quite felt ‘right’ on the p7.
    i was forced (by an air leak) to strip the forks, and while i was in there i removed the spacer to get the full 130mm travel.
    the difference this has made is dramatic, i now find the bike much easier to pedal and generally more fun to ride.
    its taken me by surprise tbh.
    nowt wrong with wanting something else tho.

Kryton57

Its not setup, I’m happy with both bikes in that regard.

Just shiny thing syndrome. There was an orange Summer Season on here a while ago – orange rims & Pikes – looked fantastic. And I’m rather taken with the adverts for the new sky blue Pace (104?)…. sigh….!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Why don't I like my bike / want another one?’ is closed to new replies.