• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by benji.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Why doesn't snot smell?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Earwax smells, stick your finger in your ear and then up your nose, it stinks.

So why doesn;t snot? Is it because it is there all the time so you don’t notice it.

If you stuck someone’s snot up your nose would it have a smell?

globalti
    Free Member

Snot is just dried tears, which are salt water, mixed with all the dead cells and dust they carry away from your eyes and the dust collected in your nose. It’s not around for long enough for bacteria to grow and make a smell.

pictonroad

I assure its not just dried tears, this cold I’ve had for WEEKS is testimony to that. 👿

It probably does smell, leave some on the side, see if the dog can find it.

maccruiskeen

i suspect it does smell – but as a result everything else smells a bit like snot

slimjim78
    Free Member

Snot smells of unfulfilled ambition and shattered dreams

Xylene
    Free Member

Anybody up for a snot exchange to see if others does smell?

crapjumper
    Free Member

Quirrel- you barsteward ! I’ve been been off work all week with a bad back and it’s killing me again now after belly laughing so much at your post 😀

globalti
    Free Member

The pus that you hawk up from your throat and lungs does have a taste so presumably it also has a smell. It’s mostly dead bacteria.

Drac

Snot is just dried tears, which are salt water, mixed with all the dead cells and dust they carry away from your eyes and the dust collected in your nose

Biology not your strong point then?

MrOvershoot

I had a sinus infection last month, snot can absolutely reek it was like a combination of babies nappies & pungent cheese 🙁

Xylene
    Free Member

^ That is bacterial infection though, isn’t it which is rotten stuff.

Snot itself, fresh distilled snot, right out of the membranes that produce it. Does it smell?

I remember a young ones where they made a candle of ear wax.

Xylene
    Free Member

Just tried to find the Young Ones clip and found this information instead.

Search Results

Ear candling — a technique that involves placing a lit, hollow, cone-shaped candle into the ear canal — can cause serious injury. Research shows that ear candling is ineffective at removing earwax and is also not an effective treatment for any other conditions

That is horrific

daftvader
    Free Member

We had to take minivader to the hospital to get his ears vacuumed out, but the dr ended up pulling a centimeter plug of wax out of his ear… Apparently it’s quite common in kids. He still seems not to hear us on most occasions tho!!!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I once pulled a huge chunk of wax out of my ear at school. It was brown and almost the size of a marble. I squeezed it and something sharp inside it cut my finger and made it bleed.

Weird but cool

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve had that – a ball of wax a little smaller than a garden pea dropped out.

benji
    Free Member

I was under the impression it’s a mucous membrane to catch dirt particles that the hair hasn’t stopped and filtered out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Why doesn't snot smell?’ is closed to new replies.