Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Why doesn't my merino work….
  • Kryton57

I’m sitting indoors in my new on one merino hoody, and its not warming up.

Pork Wah?*

*copyright Teasel.

headfirst
    Free Member

Are you wearing the special pants too? Have you basted yourself in goose fat as per the instructions? You have read the instructions haven’t you?

ton

i have a icebreaker 150 version, i too find it cold to wear now, moreso when a bit damp.

i wore a northface thin base under a northface flight base on sunday at minus 3, and i was nice and comfy riding in it.

wanna buy a icebreaker?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not worth buying then? I was looking at these the other day since they’re half price. How do they size up?

Kryton57

ton – Member.
    wanna buy a icebreaker?

I bought one from the Psa on the pop up place the other day 😳

@headfirst – goosed fat? Not olive oil?

headfirst
    Free Member

Olive oil will do, at a push.

Remember that merino, IME, doesn’t warm you up but it does keep you warm well. A key benefit for me is that it keeps me warm without over-heating me.

Kryton57

davdtaylforth – sizes up “normal” ie I’m normally a large and bought a large, fits good. I bought the hoody for casual wear so there’s easily room for a vest & t shirt underneath (if you’re northern, just a t shirt for southerns). The baselayer’s I’d assume were closer fitting.

Please bear in mind I have only 20 mins experience of an itchy baselayer which I removed – I may actually be using it wrong by testing it in a room which is showing 23 degrees.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

davdtaylforth – sizes up “normal” ie I’m normally a large and bought a large, fits good. I bought the hoody for casual wear so there’s easily room for a vest & t shirt underneath (if you’re northern, just a t shirt for southerns). The baselayer’s I’d assume were closer fitting.

🙂

Is it an “athletic” fit (is that the right term?) or is it quite loose? Are the arms long for the size?

Should I get a small or a medium if I’m 6’2″? Will the arms be long enough in a small? What a dilemma.

Kryton57

ffs.

Its casual fit, I’m 6ft and have a large. The elastic bit at the bottom goes down to where my c*ck is, the sleeves can go to the knuckle on my thumb with my arm stretched out – obviously thats no a good look – so there’s room for somewone larger than me. I’m of athletic size and shape (IMO 🙂 )

Kryton57

David if your at Swinley’s sexy ride, Sunday I can bring it.

Mackem

I’ve got a few merino things, they work quite well.

Today I bought an 8 euro poly thing from Decathlon, it’s better.

MSP

merino is great for multi day stuff as it doesn’t pong, but it’s nowhere near as good as modern fabrics for just going out for a standard ride.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I loved my Merino until I shrunk it last night. Now my daughter has a trendy woollen cardigan thing! 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

David if your at Swinley’s sexy ride, Sunday I can bring it.

I wont be there I’m afraid, I one of them lot that wears a vest and a t shirt.

rOcKeTdOg

canterbury “cold” tops are amazing, really wick moisture away from the body and retain the warmth

Kryton57

So are you telling my my Merino hoody isn’t up to the hype? 😐

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t like Merino. I bought a couple of Icebreakers direct from NZ before you could get them here. They’re very cold and clammy when damp and take ages to dry. My old Boghaus Bionic silver thingy is much, much betterer. Sadly, they don’t make em anymore.

fergal
    Free Member

It is all hype, great marketing, very overpriced, what ever you do don’t do anything that makes you sweaty, doesn’t wick at all and just feels cold and sweaty, in the mountains useless, if you spend all the time on the couch maybe it works, old school thermals work a treat.

honourablegeorge

Give me synthetic layers any day, hate merino for riding in, just heavy, cold and wet.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ta guys, wont bother.

Kryton57

I bought a fashion item then, stamped with the badge of the immortal “Jean Paul Gautier” of the north, On one.

I might pull whilst wearing it in Leeds I guess, but down here in Landan…

user-removed
    Free Member

I bought a Rapha Merino T-shirt recently (yes I know, but it was in a sale) and have worn it just twice to ride in. It stunk, and I mean REEKED after both rides. Keep it for mooching about now.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Really like my merino, an old Rab long sleeved base layer, some Decathlon ones, an Endura and some On One stuff. More than I thought actually…
    Keeps me warm regardless of weather or dampness, can wear for days without starting to smell and feels better than my synthetic base layers.
    So it isn’t all bad 🙂

djflexure

Merino is useless for cycling (if you sweat). It just gets cold and clammy. Does not dry. Great for more leisurely activities and sleeping in.

I prefer thinner, synthetic baselayers for the bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I bought a Rapha Merino T-shirt recently (yes I know, but it was in a sale) and have worn it just twice to ride in. It stunk, and I mean REEKED after both rides. Keep it for mooching about now. “

you sure it was merino…..

i like my merino – i do not like icebreaker. endura baabaas work well for me

if your a propper sweaty bam then might not work for you , if you stop and start alot then probably wont work for you.

user-removed
    Free Member

Erm, pretty certain, yes, and I’m not generally very sweaty either. I do stop a lot though 😳

The smell is similar to the stench from really cheap wicking tees. I was properly miffed as everyone says it doesn’t smell. Wierd.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds like rapha pulling a fast one ….

1% merino maybe 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

Gah! Going to have to go upstairs and check now 😡

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Why doesn't my merino work….’ is closed to new replies.