Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Why doesn't a Hope IS head set fit in a road frame?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Crown race too thick = big gap and bearing cap proud of the top bearing!

Bazz

There are 2 standards for intergrated headsets, often reffered to as the Campagnolo standard which is often used on road bikes, and the Cane creek standard that is often used on mtb’s. Could that be it?

wwaswas

you need to work out what headtube you have and that’ll tell you what the headset you need is.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thanks – I know the head tube IS an std BS internal/integrated – the Hope IS is supposed to be a BS IS headset so? Its not a ISi (campag) as the OD is different.

My point is that I can confirm frame has a BS IS internal fitting – my old headset fits fine – the Hope one doesn’t 🙁

On the diagram up there is a CC IS std 1 1/8 head tube (second image, second in from top left). Just cant understand why the Hope doesn’t fir – its obviously not suitable for CC IS std!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Frame quoted as: Integrated 1 1/8″, 36º/45º for a 45mm OD head tube – Cane Creak std

45mm Outside Dia. [41.2 inner bore] for a bearing Dia. of 41mm. The angled seat in the frame is 45º, the internal angle of the bearing is 36º.

Hope Headset Quoted : IS41/28.6 : IS41/30 – bearings too high/seats too shallow I guess 🙁 So prob not Cane creek Std.

On the CC website its to do with the bore depth – found it the hope is only for 10mm bore depths!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Why doesn't a Hope IS head set fit in a road frame?’ is closed to new replies.