Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Why does top end HiFi sound better?
  • chiefgrooveguru

No, you need to read properly – the link is there! 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know a 2×12 is usually just for one instrument, I was simply using the size for the cab to say that space in the room is really a non-problem. HiFi manufactuers could use 10, 12 or 15″ drivers but most seem to want to offer small packages even if making the cab 5″ wider and 3″ deeper wouldn’t really be space problem in most rooms.

No, using a bigger driver means the volume has to increase MASSIVELY to get the same response (I think relative to cone area), all other things being equal. And the trend is to smaller enclosures.

HiFi speakers are mounted in closed, sometimes ported cabinets. This means that the speaker cones are always air damped to some degree (a lot in the case of fully closed cabs). This stops the speakers destroying themselves at high volumes but damps the movement and hence the sound signal – rubber-suspended hifi speaker cones are rather fragile things compared with relatively stiff paper-coned guitar speakers.

“air damping” only comes into effect near the resonance, and it’s higher for ported designs (at and above the resonance) than in IBs.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

HiFi manufactuers could use 10, 12 or 15″ drivers

…some do 😛 … though whether you’d call the result “Hi-Fi” I doubt.

Not your typical livingroom setup.

slowoldman

For something a little more hi-fi.

Or if sir has a larger room

A ballroom

A castle

Some quite serious LF drive units there along with the best mid range driver on the planet.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

AFAIK that’s about as top-end as it gets!

Where do I sign for the free, no-obligation 29 day* trial period?

*Pretty sure noise complaints need to run across two months for an eviction notice…

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Why does top end HiFi sound better?’ is closed to new replies.