• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why does this always happen at the furthest point from home?
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

I had only fitted the tyre the night before and done 5 miles of my 10 mile trip home when the tube popped out of the tyre. I couldn’t have seated the tyre properly but I was surprised it made it 5 miles. New tyres coming from theotherjonv.

ourmaninthenorth

“Farthest”, dear boy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I take it the tyre is wrecked?

I had that happen at 15-20mph on the road. Locked the back wheel solid, and I skidded to a halt, with the rim scraping along the road and cutting a slit in the sidewall.

I binned the tyre and filed the rim smooth again!

binners

Oops! I thought it was only me who fitted things so appallingly badly that they immediately self-destructed 😯

soma_rich
    Free Member

I had that happen at 15-20mph on the road. Locked the back wheel solid, and I skidded to a halt, with the rim scraping along the road and cutting a slit in the sidewall

Exactly what happened, good job it wasn’t the front wheel as I would have been over the bars. If you look closely you can see the rim thorough the tyre and the rip is about 30cm long. no chance of saving it 🙁

PJM1974
    Free Member

I had a tube explode in the back of the car once and it took a 16″ section of rim with it.

That was a very expensive trip.

Duggan

😯

*checks innertubes*

Janesy
    Free Member

Checks tubless. Oh I dont have too 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Same happened to me a few years ago, sidewall on a Spesh Enduro tyre let go on the most innocuous bit of bridleway, ground a nice flat on a brand new wheel on its first outing. B@ST@RD!

D0NK

Janesy – Member

Checks tubless. Oh I dont have too oof did you really just say that?!

Awaits “my bike exploded” thread from janesy in the coming week.

nbt

PJM1974 – Member
    I had a tube explode in the back of the car once and it took a 16″ section of rim with it.

I remember that happening to Stu_N around here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=397875&Y=430545&A=Y&Z=120&ax=397955&ay=431630

about 8″ of rim blown out, tyre ripped, Large section of innertube just *gone*. He was riding uphill as well at the time, unweighting to get up a smooth rock, not anything pointy or sharp. He had to carry back to Hebden Bridge. Bit of a cold sweat moment when we considered what would have happened if that had happened at speed on a downhill, or if the explosion had blown the rim into his legs…

Drac

Come on don’t let it be an our before someone posts it.

Jamie you disappoint me.

phiiiiil

After any catastrophic bike mechanical disaster I try to keep riding the broken, useless bike for another mile or so further away just so I can say it didn’t happen at the farthest point of the ride. 🙂

I also keep looking for things after I have found them, so they weren’t in the last place I looked.

ourmaninthenorth

This happened while the bike was leaning up against the dining room wall as I was eating my porridge before a club run.

Tyre at 120psi and confined space makes a hell of a bang.

Pyro

Blew a foot long section of sidewall out on a Polaris challenge in the Dales a few years back. Fortunately I was only 500yds from the Tan Hill at the time.

That was the day I went to disc brakes, and haven’t regretted it since.

dot
    Free Member

My tube exploded taking the tyre with it 90 miles into the Kielder 100 a couple of weeks ago resulting in a DNF :-/

DezB
    Free Member

Sidewalls on those Bontrager ACXs are so blimmin flimsy!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why does this always happen at the furthest point from home?’ is closed to new replies.