Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Why does the smell of quality leather make us comfortable?
  • Kryton57

True isn’t it? I’ve been in two leather seated environments today, and in both the waft of leather as I entered has me in “aaaaahhh” mode.

Pork Wah?*

biglee1

It is true 😀 the smell of new motorcycle leathers is fantastic too 😀

Cougar

Cows are relaxing?

I’ve got nothing, sorry.

GrahamS

Because you know, as she zips up that mask, that everything is beyond your control for the next hour or so.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno.
    Good question though.

bigblackshed

Cougar – Moderator
    Cows are relaxing?

Not when they’re alive. They need to be skinned to get the “aaaaahhh” mode.

hatter

The waft as you open a box containing a fresh set of Red Wings.. bliss.

Mildly tempered by the realization that you have a good month of them feeling like they’re trying to slowly amputate your feet as the buggers bed in.

Vaseline is your friend

Cougar

I’m amazed that you’ve managed to get “Vaseline” and “red wings” into a post I don’t have to delete.

hatter

*Takes a bow*

cannondaleking
    Free Member

New Brooke’s out of the box love the smell but the same Brooke’s two years later after my arse has shaped it and stuff has got in (mud, rain, cow/horse plops) yeah no way I’m gonna sniff that.

Harry_the_Spider

*Takes a bow*

Assuming the position?

wolly
    Free Member

Don’t brown wings normally come with Vaseline?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve been in two leather seated environments today,

Was one of Italian heritage, perhaps?

And the other, possibly a nice place for a spot of pudding?

stumpyjon

You know that smell is often added and is not natural, certainly for car leather.

Kryton57

No Flashy, it seems FGWR have refurbed some of their carriages.

I’m wondering – is their a primeval link to the fact that as cave people would use skins for sitting / sleeping?

globalti
    Free Member

We associate the smell of leather with quality, comfort and security and the nose is the organ that’s most directly connected to the deep centre of the brain.

stumpy01

It’s probably just because you’re conditioned to think ‘aaaaah, leather’ when you smell it. And I don’t mean you personally, I mean ‘people’…..?
    If you put a sumptuous leather chair in the middle of an Amazonian tribal village and asked the people to sit in it, would they thing ‘aaaaah, leather’ or would they think ‘this pongs a bit, but would make a nice seat for the chief if I can only make it smell a bit better’….?

Same way when you get in a new car there is that ‘new car’ smell that makes certain owners feel smug that they have a new car smell.

I think it’s because of your association with that smell, rather than any primeval thing that goes back to us skinning animals and wearing them.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That smell is probably piss from the tanning process rather than scent du vache

Kryton57

Can’t be true. Else we’d all be buying out in pub toilets as top class Bijpux flats.

unovolo
    Free Member

Don’t brown wings normally come with Vaseline?

think your confused with ‘Brown Hatters’ 😯

RustySpanner

Kryton57 – Member
    I’m wondering – is their a primeval link to the fact that as cave people would use skins for sitting / sleeping?

globalti – Member
    We associate the smell of leather with quality, comfort and security and the nose is the organ that’s most directly connected to the deep centre of the brain.

It’s only a primeaval link in as much as fire is.

Leather is a great way of using the bits you can’t eat and has a multitude of uses.
    Can be a display of skill, wealth or status too.

Even if you wiped everyone’s memory and we all started again, it wouldn’t take that long before St Hubbins law kicked in and some young blade decided to put three stripes on their moccasins.

Northwind

It takes you back to unconscious memories of being held in your mother’s arms, in the S&M club.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Why does the smell of quality leather make us comfortable?’ is closed to new replies.