Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Why does rain increase the risk of punctures on the road?
  • glenh
    Free Member

How does that work then?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

because it washes fresh little bits of flint, thorns etc onto the road

carbon337
    Free Member

Ive just asked the same question on another thread – im puzzled too

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

Makes the tyres sticky to. Wondered if it softens the compounds as well?

RealMan
    Free Member

+1

aP
    Free Member

'Cos when its wet the sharp things stick to the tyre for a couple of revolutions, by then they've started to dig in, then you've got a puncture on its way. When its dry the bits ping off or fall off before they get a chance to dig in.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

and your tyres are wet so there is less friction resisting stuff poking through it.

perhaps.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yes….

When its dry the bits ping off or fall off before they get a chance to dig in

…yes…

your tyres are wet so there is less friction resisting stuff poking through it.

…and yes.

When it's dry little bits of rubbish get blown to side of the road/into the hedges/verges by passing traffic – a decent amount of rain and it gets washed back out into a band at the edge of the road….. right where I'm riding – grrrrr 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

water is a lubricant for rubber.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

All wrong.

It's because it's acid rain so it burns little holes through the tyre and/or tube.

HTH

poppa
    Free Member

Because puncture fairies prefer a cool, damp environment.

oldgit
    Free Member

remember these, jumpers for goal posts etc.

aP
    Free Member

Hey oldgit – whats wrong with rubbing the grit off with the palm of your hand whilst riding along? Let me think though should that be infront of the fork crown, or behind?
    Ordering some sprint wheels for 3PCX today…

oldgit
    Free Member

Ordering some sprint wheels for 3PCX today.

Blimey I'm using ten ton tessies, Aksiums and landcruisers

deadpet
    Free Member

Did those actually work OldGit? I ask as I have a nice skip find in my garage – an old Raleigh – which has those fitted and I'd not seen them before.

oldgit
    Free Member

Pretty certain they helped. I mostly rode tubs and had very few punctures. Tyres/clinchers back then weren't as good and it wasn't unusual to have several punctures per ride.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

The answer is wet sand Your hand gets covered if the sand is wet a tyre is no different

cynic-al
    Free Member

NEWSFLASH!

ALL PUNCTURES FOUND TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY WET SAND!!!

😀

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I read it was reduced friction from rain on the tyre but where is the evidence?

RealMan
    Free Member

Its because fish like water. And some fish have sharp teeth.

sweepy
    Free Member

Its just sods law, you get more punctures in the wet cos thats when its most unpleasant to spend time fixing them.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Most punctures on bikes (any type) occur in the rear wheel. This is because the front tyre picks up offending item and fires it into the rear tyre as it rotates. As stated, this happens more when wet as the front tyre is more likely to pick thorns etc up due to increase in stickiness.

Sam

I think it's generally accepted that flats are more prevalent in the wet as water acts as a lubricant. Try cutting a piece of rubber (old tyre, tube whatever) dry and wet, see which is easier.

As for wiping (whether by hand or some little device as above) it's an age old argument – not even Jobst and Sheldon can agree.

rootes1

Why does rain increase the risk of punctures on the road?

Does it? who says?

surely for thinks like wood and thorn splitters they are softer in the wet and less pointy?

Its just sods law, you get more punctures in the wet cos thats when its most unpleasant to spend time fixing them.

Now this is more like it 😉

Drac

Hawthorn and Blackthorn thorns have a surface on them that when wet becomes very lubricated so will push through tyres easier. Just another suggestion.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I seem to recall reading in a cycling mag YEARS ago (so probably MBUK) that in the wet rubber loses is puncture resistance, but also that the reverse is true. The article quoted an un-named US tyre manufactuer who'd gotten into trouble some years previously by showing their tyres driving over a glass bottle repeatedly, grinding said bottle into many many sharp pieces of metal. They were ordered to stop running the ad as it was misleading due to the fact that it wasn't anything special about their tyre that enabled it to do so, it was the fact that the whole thing was done in bone dry conditions.

But as I said…it was in a cycling magazine…so it MUST have been true.

lazlo53
    Free Member

It is, as others said, all about reduced friction. On a dry tire, grit thorns etc, have to overcome the friction resistance of dry rubber as well as have the penetrative force to go through the tire. Water's a lubricant and we all know that a good lubricant makes getting into tight spots a lot easier. et voila'

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Onzadog is the only one to get it right so far.

lazlo53
    Free Member

sez the expert

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Wet sand does not cause punctures unless it has bits of shell Anything that gets wet will let dirt, sand anything stick to it. The secret to avoiding punctures is a decent tube as this the 'soul' of the tyre and find self cleaning tyres with a chevron or crescent pattern tend not to puncture If all else fails get the Halo Courier Berlin from billys.co.uk or Dutch Perfect tyres from cyclife as well as the puncture resistant tubes

njee20
    Free Member

The article quoted an un-named US tyre manufactuer who'd gotten into trouble some years previously by showing their tyres driving over a glass bottle repeatedly, grinding said bottle into many many sharp pieces of metal.

They should have also got into trouble for continuity, was the bottle glass or metal!?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Tubeless – Don't notice 🙂 :mrgreen:

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I don't know what's worse – riding in the wet, or on the road…

elaineanne
    Free Member

couple of weeks ago i was doin a Danny mac style jump off the pavement (lol) and suddenly my tyre went all wibble wobbly and i landed crap (it was a ruddy carpet tack washed into the road….grrrr

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Why does rain increase the risk of punctures on the road?’ is closed to new replies.